Axe-Fx 3 & Kemper users advice

Thanks Vangrieg, "blanket over the speakers" huh...lol...well I suppose one man's warm is another mans mud

that's just a 57 on a green beret speaker.

My only experience with modelers I was never able to get that fizz removed. I love EVH's Marshall tone too, but whenever I hear a modeler doing that it sounds like razor blades at my ears. (not saying anyone here is doing that)

Larry Mitchell gets stunning sounds from the Axe Fx, I was asking here to gauge how difficult it is to dial just straight rock sounds up.

thx again for your input

Thanks Vangrieg, "blanket over the speakers" huh...lol...well I suppose one man's warm is another mans mud

that's just a 57 on a green beret speaker.

My only experience with modelers I was never able to get that fizz removed. I love EVH's Marshall tone too, but whenever I hear a modeler doing that it sounds like razor blades at my ears. (not saying anyone here is doing that)

Larry Mitchell gets stunning sounds from the Axe Fx, I was asking here to gauge how difficult it is to dial just straight rock sounds up.

thx again for your input

Mixing is a matter of taste, so to each their own. Joe Bonamassa has some tracks (eg. Blues Deluxe) that have some 7k - 9k that I don't find grating to my ears, but everybody's different.

Quick question. Is the cab in the video you posted close mic'd?

Yes, you can easily cut it using a high cut on the cab block or even try a darker IR (maybe a ribbon mic or a dynamic away from the cone and near the edge) or a post EQ. There are several ways you could achieve what you want with the Axe Fx. Like it has been said - it's a blank slate and you can dial it in however you like it. I'd say you could dial out the "air" however much you want just by turning a few knobs but it is available if you need it. The Axe Fx is immensely tweakable and especially with Axe Edit - it's super easy to do so.

My only experience with modelers I was never able to get that fizz removed.

Well, that fizz is usually considered A Good Thing (in reasonable quantities, and what’s reasonable is quite individual). Also, it may be not very pleasant to listen to when guitar is on its own, but it helps in the mix.

And I think you need very specific IRs for what you want. I don’t know if they exist - they are the opposite of what I’m interested in, so I can’t say, but since you obviously have a mic and a cab and know how to use both, you can make your own IR in no time, placing the mic exactly like you do when recording, Axe-FX has instructions for that in the manual.

Anyway, getting fizz right is the tricky thing. Removing it isn’t. :)

Thanks again for your time Gents, I appreciate it...@ Jason Scott, Joe B always gets a great tone!

I did close mic this cab just slightly off cone center of the Green Beret, the cab is a Port City 2x12 OS.

Thx again guys!

PM

Thanks again for your time Gents, I appreciate it...@ Jason Scott, Joe B always gets a great tone!

I did close mic this cab just slightly off cone center of the Green Beret, the cab is a Port City 2x12 OS.

Thx again guys!

If it's close mic'd then I have little doubt you can find an IR that's close to that tone, and with the Tone Matching feature you should be able to copy it. The Kemper tends to simplify the process, though the Axe-Fx is going to be far more versatile, assuming versatility is important to you.

I owned a Kemper for years while also owning an XL+ and AX8 at the same time; and now I just own the AF3.

The Kemper is good for what it is intended. If you have various amp/cab/mic/guitar set-ups that you like, and that's all you ever intend to use, you can profile all of your set-up/setting combinations and have them all in one portable device. Profiles are snapshots of a specific set-up and amp settings, however, which will require you to profile all of the amp settings you need for each particular set-up. This is why purchased profiles include many profiles with slight variations in settings (usually drive amount).

You can make adjustments to profiles with the knobs on the Kemper but, as pointed out earlier, they are general in nature vice programmed to react as they would on the actual amp you are profiling. Very minor tweaks won't impact it too much, but profiling a clean sound and turning up the drive knob on the Kemper, for instance, won't result in the same sound as capturing a separate profile with the real amp's drive knob turned up, if that makes sense. That applies to all knobs on the Kemper that relate to amp adjustments.

I purchased the Axe III last year and sold my XL+, AX8, and Kemper. IMO, the AF3 is better overall in terms of sound, feel, and flexibility in creating tones; the effects are much better than the Kemper; more I/O options; there's a computer editor that make things easier; and the USB recording capability is as easy as it gets for my purposes. You get a ton of cabs pre-loaded, and there are a ton more available for purchase. Updates are frequent and always bring something more to the AF3, and the community here is extremely helpful in offering advice and answering questions.

If you're worried about having to tweak sounds endlessly on the AF3, I think everyone would agree it isn't necessary. In fact, quite the opposite. Yes, there are a lot of advanced parameters available, which adds to the unit's flexibility, but they are not required to get where you want to go. If you're looking for a "done for you" option, there are quality preset packs available. Austin Buddy's Naked Amp Pack is the one that comes to mind right away for straight amp/cab sounds. Plus, in terms of time spent, I found I spent more time wading through profiles trying to find one I liked than the time it takes to dial in what I want on the AF3.

In terms of profiling your amps/cabs, you just have to consider how much equipment you'll need, if any, to create solid profiles along with the time will it take to learn how to profile in order to get the results you want? Just downloading some profiles from the Kemper community will tell you that it's not a slam dunk process. Then again, you may have the background and equipment that makes it easy to get the results you want in a short time.

Not bashing the Kemper. I had mine for 6 years and played it a lot. As I said, it does what it is intended to do, and does it well. It just depends on your needs. If all you want to do is profile your amps/cabs for recording and live use, then it may fit the bill. If you want to have the flexibility in creating solid tones, recording, I/O options, and playing live the AF3 provides, then that may be the route you want to go. For me, when I played through the AF3, I had found my one-stop shop for all of my guitar needs; especially knowing the unit will just continue to get better. Just my experience with the two units and some information on why I chose one over the other.

Hope that helps.

Hi again peter,

If you want that exact sound, you can shoot at ir of that cab with that mic, at that position in that room (once you have the axe fx of course ahaha) - you will be surprised how accurate the ir comes out, and how quick and easy the process actually is.
Thanks
Pauly

Thx again guys!

PM

As an ex Kemper owner and a brand new Axe Fx III owner (only 1 month), this is my perspective.

5 years ago I went through this very exercise of deciding which unit I wanted to get. The Kemper is a fantastic unit. It creates a fantastic profile of an amp and its very particular settings and set up at the time of profiling.

With that said, I decided to get a Kemper because certainly someone out there will profile an amp at the exact settings I like. (I was looking for a very specific boogie mark series tone). This is where the idea of profiles didn't work for me. Amps are very personal, and while I could find profiles in the ballpark of the tone I was craving, I could only find ones that were maybe 80-90% of the way there. Ok, well, that's fine. I will tweak and adjust as needed....well, this is where it sorta failed pretty hard for me. The more I would tweak these profiles, the more digital and synthetic they would start to feel and sound.

After several years of this, I decided that, even if I get caught in endless menus and tweaking hell with a "modeling" style amplifier, at least maybe I can get the actual tone I want, even if it requires hours and hours of tweaking. I sold the Kemper and bought the Axe. I had heard the Axe had best in class modelling and effects, so I figured I would try it out.

1 month in, and oh my.. I can't even begin to explain the giddiness of getting the tones I've been searching years for...and without the endless tweaking I was worried a modeler requires. This thing is absolutely fantastic. I've dialed in a better tone than I get out of my Boogie Mark V 25, and waaaaay better than the Kemper. Maybe 20 minutes to get that tone.

In short, I love this thing. So far, best choice I've made in my entire music career as a bedroom player. Huge respect for the team at fractal and their frequent updates. Only one month in, this unit has gotten better with fimware updates. I also want to give a shout out to Leon Todd. Check his YouTube vids. Helped me tremendously with dialing in some fantastic tones.

Last edited:
Hello again guys,..thank you so much for this info. I actually had no idea on these specifics bout the KPA, that it's a specific setting or setup,.and it wouldn't respond to changes of gain the way said amp would. And, I'm not dead set on getting my exact amp tone, I was just starting the thread out by saying, I have amps I love, but they're too loud,..but in honesty, it's not like I need 40 amps,..in fact I wouldn't use more than a good few.
But you've all been so very helpful, I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

I'm wondering if it would be best to start a new thread regarding,..."would I be set with a axe fx 2, or even AX8" since my needs are pretty modest. I guess I'll read up on the difference that the A3 offers in comparison. even though it's great to have the latest,..not sure I can swing the coin, and if I need it all.

thx again gents!

Best
PM

Hello again guys,..thank you so much for this info. I actually had no idea on these specifics bout the KPA, that it's a specific setting or setup,.and it wouldn't respond to changes of gain the way said amp would. And, I'm not dead set on getting my exact amp tone, I was just starting the thread out by saying, I have amps I love, but they're too loud,..but in honesty, it's not like I need 40 amps,..in fact I wouldn't use more than a good few.

I'm wondering if it would be best to start a new thread regarding,..."would I be set with a axe fx 2, or even AX8" since my needs are pretty modest. I guess I'll read up on the difference that the A3 offers in comparison. even though it's great to have the latest,..not sure I can swing the coin, and if I need it all.

I love my Axe-Fx. I really do. In your case though, if you already have amps and would simply like to use them at a reasonable volume, have you considered an attenuator? I mean, the Kemper would be well suited to your situation, but if you just want to use your amps at bedroom levels, an attenuator will potentially cost less than either the AX8 or Kemper and do precisely what you want.

Hi Jason, yes, I've been thinking about the two notes audio reload box. I'd actually like to be able to silent record. I have been using and just sold a Hot Plate to tame, but really silent would be best. I'll just keep saving dough, maybe the axe would be what I dig, versatility is great.
thx!

PM

Hi again Peter,
The 2 and 8 are great, however the three is certainly where it’s at right now. Not just from a trend perspective, but also the quality of the unit, the currency of its design and hardware, as well as the resources allocated to its development. It might be an extra thousand dollars or so, but youll only consider that money once, and imho you will be glad you spent it.
Not saying you might not be satisfied with the older units, just that in a year or two you will probably regret not getting the 3 and do it anyway.
Cool playing by the way - I love the way you stay just under the note until exactly the right moment...like all the best slide players!
Thanks
Pauly

thx again gents!

Best
PM

thx again gents!

Best
PM

Search the forum, or web search, and you'll find many threads on comparisons between the three units. I know there were many as the 3 rolled out while people were trying to decide whether or not to upgrade from the 2. Just keep in mind that the 3 has improved since released and will continue to improve. I know there are some threads asking about going from the 2 to the 8 as well.

I purchased the 3 knowing it would be at least as good as the 2 out of the box and would only continue to improve. There's also a 15-day return period, so I knew I could return it and keep the 2 if I didn't feel the improvements were worth the upgrade. As I mentioned, I kept the 3, sold the 2, and have never questioned that decision. I felt it was more than worth the money. I didn't really need everything the 3 offered but, as I begin to experiment with things outside of my normal use those extras have come in handy.

I'm a home player who also uses the basic set up of amp/cab and basic effects as well. Some have commented on issues of processing power limitations with the 8, but based on your intended set up that may not be an issue. I ran it to it a couple of times, but not the majority of the time. There are some other limitations with the 8 as well (e.g. no tone match block, can't use dual amps, etc.), but you get the foot switch as part of the 8. In other words, there are tradeoffs as you move from one to another. It just depends on what is important to you and what you can do without. For example, if you want to tone match your amps/cabs, now or in the future, the 8 cannot do that since it does not support the tone match block.

Recommend you check out the Fractal wiki page as well: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home if you have not done so already. The site covers all Fractal products and has a tone of information as to what each brings to the table.

If you aren't in a hurry, I'd recommend saving for an AF3. If that isn't an option, however, you can find some good deals on the 2 and/or 8. Any of the three units should meet your needs of a basic amp/cab set up with delay and reverb for in home playing and recording. The "done for you" packs are also available for all three units, if that matters. The 3 just does everything better, IMO.

I have both the Axe FX III (for 2 weeks now) and the Kemper (for 2 years) and just recently sold my AFII XL which I had for 4 years through all the major FW changes. Here is my perspective. I really liked the AFII XL but found that I had to do a lot of tweaking on advanced amp parameters to get what I considered great amp-like tones. I bought the Kemper 2 years ago when I started to get frustrated by all the major FW changes on the AFII that changed the tone enough to require re-tweaking of all my presets. I spent a LOT of time searching for good profiles for the Kemper as most of them were not very good, but I was able to find 6 or 7 really great profiles that were better than what I was able to do on the AFII. I used the Kemper in the FX loop of the AFII and used the AFII for all the Drives and Effects as it is better for those. I bought the AF3 wanting to, at minimum, upgrade the AF2 in the same configuration and be able to ride the new hardware capabilities and future upgrades and hopefully be able to dial in equivalent amp tones as the Kemper and get rid of it. What I can say is that the AF3 is much better than the AF2 tonally, and the Ares modelling with the latest 3.01 FW is very close in feel and tone. Also, the display, usability, routing, power and USB interface on the AF3 blow away the Kemper. As I have only had the AF3 for less than 2 weeks I haven't definitively concluded yet that I can replace all my great Kemper profiles, but I am getting more confident that I will be able to in the coming months and sell the Kemper. As for the AF2 and 8, I would spend the extra few $ to get the AF3 as it really is much better than the older units. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom