Axe-Fx 3 Instrument Level and DI recording / Reamping question

RomanMtz

Hello, I posted something about this in a different thread, but wanted to ask a bit more about the Instrument Level parameter and how it related to the DI signal being recorded through USB for reamping.

I tried recording both processed and DI signal on my DAW (Studio One 4) and was able to do it successfully but I noticed that the DI wave forms that were recorded got chopped off on the top and bottom (kind of like compression or limiting). I believe this was at 50% instrument level.

I do have active Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my guitars so they are pretty hot pickups. Noticed that as I adjusted the instrument level parameter, this hard limiting I was seeing in the DI signal in the DAW changed a bit. I tried different values and here's a table of my findings.

Instrument Level % ----- DI dB limit in DAW when playing hard
100% ----- -21.2 dB
75% ----- -14.6 dB
50% ----- -12.1 dB
25% ----- -9.53 dB
15% ----- -7.54 dB
10% ----- -6.28 dB
5% ----- -5.51 dB
3.5% ----- -6.53 dB

So does the Axe FX 3 have a hard limiter for the DI signal when the instrument level is too hot? I understand that the pickups themselves are probably clipping as well, but wanted to get clarification on this. Also, what instrument level (or DI db level) is recommended for best recording results?

Thanks!

I do have active Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Active pickups clip internally and actually aren't as hot as passives. You see internal clipping most probably.

Also, if you think that Axe's input clips, why set input level to anything but zero???

Also, what instrument level (or DI db level) is recommended for best recording results?

The usual (and also official) advice is to set input level so that the input meters on the front panel "tickle the red" as they call it - i.e. red LEDs light up occasionally. That would be about 6 dB below maximum.

Active pickups clip internally and actually aren't as hot as passives. You see internal clipping most probably.

Also, if you think that Axe's input clips, why set input level to anything but zero???

I don't think the Axe's input are actually clipping. I read elsewhere that the input level is designed not to clip, but to give the best S/N ratio. My question is why am I getting these different hard limiting ceilings in the recorded DI signal at different Instrument Input levels...

The usual (and also official) advice is to set input level so that the input meters on the front panel "tickle the red" as they call it - i.e. red LEDs light up occasionally. That would be about 6 dB below maximum.

Right, I've done this since I had an Axe 2, just never recorded a DI signal before so I would like to understand if I'm doing it right. I'm "tickling the red" at about 5 to 10% on the instrument level with the blackouts.

You're definitely clipping the input. That's the whole purpose of the LEDs on the front panel. Turn down the A/D Level until the red LED doesn't turn on.

Hello, I posted something about this in a different thread, but wanted to ask a bit more about the Instrument Level parameter and how it related to the DI signal being recorded through USB for reamping.

I tried recording both processed and DI signal on my DAW (Studio One 4) and was able to do it successfully but I noticed that the DI wave forms that were recorded got chopped off on the top and bottom (kind of like compression or limiting). I believe this was at 50% instrument level.

I do have active Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my guitars so they are pretty hot pickups. Noticed that as I adjusted the instrument level parameter, this hard limiting I was seeing in the DI signal in the DAW changed a bit. I tried different values and here's a table of my findings.

Instrument Level % ----- DI dB limit in DAW when playing hard
100% ----- -21.2 dB
75% ----- -14.6 dB
50% ----- -12.1 dB
25% ----- -9.53 dB
15% ----- -7.54 dB
10% ----- -6.28 dB
5% ----- -5.51 dB
3.5% ----- -6.53 dB

So does the Axe FX 3 have a hard limiter for the DI signal when the instrument level is too hot? I understand that the pickups themselves are probably clipping as well, but wanted to get clarification on this. Also, what instrument level (or DI db level) is recommended for best recording results?

Thanks!
Is the clip led flashing when it is set above 5-10%?
If the answer is yes those results look normal.

You're definitely clipping the input. That's the whole purpose of the LEDs on the front panel. Turn down the A/D Level until the red LED doesn't turn on.

Thanks for your response Cliff. So just to confirm, for the Axe 3 we're not supposed to hit the red in the Input level LEDs? Even if I have to go under 5% in the the Instrument Level parameter?

Thanks again!

Thanks for your response Cliff. So just to confirm, for the Axe 3 we're not supposed to hit the red in the Input level LEDs? Even if I have to go under 5% in the the Instrument Level parameter?

Thanks again!
Correct. It's okay if the red LEDs blink occasionally when you strum very hard.

Then set it at 5%, that's the best s/n ratio for your pickups.
But I suspect you may have them set too close to the strings

I have them almost flush with the pickup rings... lol. But yeah, I'll make sure I use a lower instrument level then. I didn't realize that the whole tickling the red thing had changed a bit from the Axe 2 to the 3.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Back
Top Bottom