Axe Fx 3 input 1 and acoustic guitar problem

mrwhites

When I plug my 12 strings guitar in the input 1 of the Axe Fx 3 the sound is initially really loud and then it starts going down (10 seconds circa). If I unplug the cable from the guitar and plug it in again it does the same, everytime. If I plug the guitar to another input (input 2 for example) there is no problem and the volume is right immediately.
It's not the guitar because it does it just with the Axe and just with the input 1.
It seems to be a input volume problem. I have to lower the input volume level a lot (15%) and the problem is gone.
It seems this guitar has a high output and the axe is compensating lowering the volume to avoid clipping.
Is this possible? It's strange but if I lower the volume of the guitar the problem persist.

Thank you!

Maybe try switching the impedance from auto to a fixed value.
Does the red clip led light up?

Maybe try switching the impedance from auto to a fixed value.
Does the red clip led light up?
The impedance setting doesn't resolve. If I put the volume of the guitar at max and set the input level to that the problem is gone. This means that the guitar volume is ininfluent to the input setting (why??)
How can I use different guitars with input 1 if they need really different settings?
I've never had this problem with other acoustic guitars..

Thanks for the help

This might sound silly, but it's usually the obvious stuff that winds up getting overlooked. Are both inputs connected to the exact same signal chain within the Axe?

It seems to be a input volume problem. I have to lower the input volume level a lot (15%) and the problem is gone.
Please, keep in mind reading the manual, see page 5:

"Except at very low settings (5% or less), input level adjustments do not affect gain levels. As you
adjust the level to the A/D converter, its output compensates accordingly, so your signal remains
exactly the same when it hits the grid and any virtual amps or effects."

"Connect a guitar to the Instrument input. Choose your loudest pickup setting and set all the
guitar controls to “wide open.” Play loudly to push the levels as you watch the front panel
INPUT 1 meter LEDs. A red LED on the input meter indicates a level of -6dB, which is safely
below clipping. Adjust the input trim so your loudest playing “tickles the red” as follows:
Page to the Input page of the I/O menu under SETUP.
Reduce Input 1/Instrument input levels using the A knob.
In general, you should set input levels as high as possible without clipping."

AFAIK the AXE does not automatically "compensate" an overdriven input in any way.

Probably the cause for the reducing volume you experience might be a dying battery in your guitar.

This might sound silly, but it's usually the obvious stuff that winds up getting overlooked. Are both inputs connected to the exact same signal chain within the Axe?
oh yes, good hint, happens more often than expected .... ;)

Dead battery.
Changed battery, the problem is the same. I attach some audio I recorded.
If I connect the guitar directly to the audio interface/amp the problem is gone, just the input 1 of the Axe has this behaviour.

Thanks

Attachments

• 12problem.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Do you have another guitar, or something else you can plug in and try? Even an MP3 player or something would work just to test it out.

Do you have another guitar, or something else you can plug in and try? Even an MP3 player or something would work just to test it out.
It does not happen with other guitars BUT with that guitar I don't have issues with any other system and even with the Axe in another input.
It's really weird..

Back
Top Bottom