Axe-Fx 3, HS8 Studio Monitors and a Sonic Epiphany

Was thinking of getting a pair of the Adam TZV for my fractal AXFX 3. Can you let us know how you like them. Thanks

I personally think they sound great for the price. The high frequencies are nice and clear and smooth. They also don't cause ear fatigue like most other monitors.

MusiciansFriend.com usually has a 15% coupon. I got mine with a 20% coupon and right before they started charging tax.

The challenge now is to find a couple of stage monitors that are as accurate as studio monitors! Find them and you've found the total solution. Id love to see reviews of high end stage monitors with the axe fx but they are so expensive I guess not many feel it's worth it.
Thanks
Pauly

Nice - how are they working out for you so far?

They sound amazing. I eq’d my main Metal/8 string tone just using a keyboard amp, originally. Looks like it tranaslated very well, as I had no urge to change anything through the monitors.

The stereo effects are very satisfying, and this is allowing me to write without being tempted to crank to obscene volumes. I’m sure there are better monitors, but I think these are probably at the beginning of the diminishing return spectrum.

The challenge now is to find a couple of stage monitors that are as accurate as studio monitors! Find them and you've found the total solution. Id love to see reviews of high end stage monitors with the axe fx but they are so expensive I guess not many feel it's worth it.
Thanks
Pauly
Having played live with my Headrush and Friedman ASC12 a few times, I don’t personally find the accuracy as important for live application. My main concern is just being able to hear myself, which either solution accomplishes very well. Those Headrush FRFRs are the best bang for the buck.

Thanks
Pauly
You have probably seen the footage from AxeFest this spring, those Meyer Sound $4000(each) monitors were the best I ever heard , if I was still gigging I would go out of my way to try to procure them.

Hi,

This is a very old thread but i wanted to reply on it as i am living the exact same experience for a couple of days :cool:

I feel stupid now but i have actually used digital modellers for years without never ever trying studio monitors, because of some dumb prejudice : the so-called "amp-in-the-room" feel...

My experiences in digital world :
  • Yamaha THR10 => unusable for me, basically a toy without guts, just good to practice a bit a very low volume in the night
  • Kemper Stage => only used with external power amp and guitar cabs, either with regular speakers either with Kemper Kones
  • Axe FX III => only used with external power amp and a good guitar cab (212 with Gold & Creamback)

Kemper Stage was nice but too compressed and flat for me, i eventually switched to Axe FX III with lot of satisfaction (much better dynamic and realism, ability to finely tune and tweak amp models).

But even if i was pretty happy with the Axe, it was still not at the same level than my analog amps in terms of tones and sensations.
So i kept some good SS and tube amps in parallel, to be used for maximum of fun, keeping the Axe for daily practice and few recordings (with studio headphones).

Few days ago, i realized that it wouldn't hurt to finally try studio monitors on the Axe FX and that i still didn't have a proper home studio setup as i was stuck on headphones recording after all these years. :yum:

I investigated a bit on good monitors, i eventually found a good offer in a local shop and i ordered and received 3 days ago a pair of Focal Shape 65 that i plugged on the Axe using some spare XLR cheap cables.

In one word : WOW !!! :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

It's absolutely INCREDIBLE how good the tones and the dynamic are, all my presets (AustinBuddy Naked Amps) sound very from good to insanely excellent.

For sure, it doesn't deliver the same depth and fatness than my 212 cab on power amp, but still it's full and loud, with huge clarity and touch sensitivity, strong presence and very fine details that i never heard before. Actually, it's way much better with studio monitors !

With the Shape 65, Axe FX III is everything but flat and sterile, i was not expecting to get such a punchy and lively sound that is very close to a real... amp in the room :relaxed:

My tube amp is worrying itself a lot... :sunglasses:

Reactions: Rex
This! A good pair of studio monitors can be the best way to listen to your Axe-Fx. You get detail and expressive dynamics. It’s not “amp in the room?” Too bad, so sad. You can still get nuances that won’t make it through a traditional amp/cab.

Truth is that I am completely rediscovering the Axe FX III and I am getting lost in sound heaven :)

It’s something I could feel with good analog amps but I had never got this experience with the Axe on a guitar cab.
It’s a brand new world of nuances and expressivity as you said.

My advice to the modeler newbies : don’t do like me and, please please please, try (good) studio monitors and not only guitar cabs, I feel so stupid to have ignored all these sonic qualities during so many years :p

My experience is kind of the opposite of yours. I used a tube amp rig for years until making the jump to modeling + monitors. I used the HS8's with both Neural DSP and my Axe-Fx III Mk II and couldn't get used to the monitors not moving air and resonating like a cabinet does. I also hated dicking around with auditioning IR's/cabs, so I finally switched to using a power amp and a 4x12. It really is the way for me and the sounds I like. The HS8's are fantastic considering their form factor, and their dynamic range is incredible, it's just that they have zero low-end resonance - so they will produce low-end frequencies with great clarity, but their enclosure won't respond to it like a cab.

Reactions: mtb
Back
Top Bottom