Axe FX 3 Headphones output

Moeed Kazi

Inspired
Hello There,

I am looking for the best experience headphones to be paired with AF3.

Just have a quick question, can the AF3 headphone output handle a high impedance headphone like the Beyerdynamic 250 ohms? or should i go for a lower impedance headphone like 25 ohm or 80 ohm? Please recommend.

I tried to read the forums, the closest I could get to, is the post by Cliff where he states "The headphone amp in the III is a pro-quality amp designed to drive low-impedance pro headphones", but doesn't mention the specs (low is 20 to 50 ohms).

Please recommend between 25, 80, 250 ohms :) which is the best......

Please help :)

Impedance isn't the only factor in if an amp can output enough volume, speaker sensitivity is important to consider as well.

Check out this thread for your answer.
Thanks for your kind response, yes it does matter, but I need to first derive to a conclusion between the 3 output levels (25,80 or 250) vs what can best match AXEFX3 headphones output, later on I dwell deeper in the aspects of speaker sensitivity.

Can AF3 drive a 250 ohms headphone without any issues? or should I stick to lower impedance as stated by Cliff and the manual (as per the above thread)

Looked into it myself a few months ago. Can't remember any specs I found, but, in regards to the BD DT 1990s the consensus was that it drives these 250 ohm headphones well. And it does. No problems at all.

Thanks for your kind response, yes it does matter, but I need to first derive to a conclusion between the 3 output levels (25,80 or 250) vs what can best match AXEFX3 headphones output, later on I dwell deeper in the aspects of speaker sensitivity.

Can AF3 drive a 250 ohms headphone without any issues? or should I stick to lower impedance as stated by Cliff and the manual (as per the above thread)
According to the manual, the Headphone output is rated at 35 Ω but, as far as I know, there are no special limitations or recommendations on headphone impedance. Any headphone will work.

However, if you want to be picky, they say that "most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance" (35 x 8 = 280 Ω)... but that is for audiophile petulants :D

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

On an iPhone, maybe.

Higher impedance phones sound fantastic on this thing. I use HD600s (300ohms) which the Axe has no problem at all driving.

Thanks @Repartee41 appreciate your help. I understand now by all the responses I received above. No limitations as from a higher impedance perspective, AF3 can drive a 250 ohms headphones without any issues. :)

I own the 1990 pro's that operate at that spec. They sound amazing and being open back really helps me enjoy the Axe FX without that compressed feeling closed backs can imitate.

Back
Top Bottom