Axe-Fx 3, FM3, and some advice

Adam A7X studio monitors are very good.
Sandman, ever used the Yamaha HS8 ? I’ll be in an untreated bedroom for now, and they’re half the price of the A7X, and have great review from what I can see.......
I heard great monitors are a waste unless you fully calibrate and treat the room you’re in.

Regarding headphones, I recommend beyerdynamic. I had the DT770 pro (80 ohm) and just bought myself the dt1990 for Christmas. I’m driving my headphones with an spl phonitor one, which has crossfeed, but that’s more relevant for music than a stereo guitar signal.
Guizmobro, I can get the 80 / 250 ohm DT770 pro for the same price. Any thoughts ? Straight and coiled cables respectively. I’ll only be using them for playing guitar

Sandman, ever used the Yamaha HS8 ? I’ll be in an untreated bedroom for now, and they’re half the price of the A7X, and have great review from what I can see.......
I heard great monitors are a waste unless you fully calibrate and treat the room you’re in.
No, I have been using my A7X monitors since my first Axefx (Standard) in 2010, and they have sounded great with every Fractal product I've owned (Standard, Axefx 2, Ax8, Axefx 3, FM3). I'm sure the HS monitors sound good, too. Yamaha makes good stuff.

... I heard great monitors are a waste unless you fully calibrate and treat the room you’re in.
Short version: not true. Long version below.
Great pun, BTW...

While you may not have the cubic rubles to “calibrate” your room (yikes) and therefore provide an environment conducive to realizing the full benefits of “great” monitors, quality speakers will still be better speakers regardless — typically lower distortion (less “listening fatigue”), extended frequency range and more predictable performance. In some cases, the higher-quality speaker enclosure itself will sonically improve an untreated room by providing less and/or more even off-axis (polar) response — esp. bass to the sides/back — so you hear more direct output and less “room anomalies”. All of these factors can improve your enjoyment during those long trips down the “Fractal Rabbit Hole”, and will help how what you hear/create in your room “translates” to the outside world of other playback systems.

That said, do keep in mind that there are several different ways to improve the sound/accuracy of ANY room without spending a lot (if anything) on permanent construction/calibration — all of which will allow you to realize the accuracy of the “great monitors” you bought when you DO make improvements in your room.

FWIW I still rely on amps/speakers I spent waaaay too much on 25yrs ago — talk about great “return on investment” — and my small/portable monitor system (Bryston 3B/Fostex RM780’s) sounds pretty damn stunning wherever it goes. There’s also a ton to be said about the benefits of a long-term relationship with your monitors, i.e. you learn to “know” what they’re telling you regardless of where/how you may use them — which is what they’re for, yes?

No, I have been using my A7X monitors since my first Axefx (Standard) in 2010, and they have sounded great with every Fractal product I've owned (Standard, Axefx 2, Ax8, Axefx 3, FM3). I'm sure the HS monitors sound good, too. Yamaha makes good stuff.
Thank you sir.

Short version: not true. Long version below.
Great pun, BTW...

While you may not have the cubic rubles to “calibrate” your room (yikes) and therefore provide an environment conducive to realizing the full benefits of “great” monitors, quality speakers will still be better speakers regardless — typically lower distortion (less “listening fatigue”), extended frequency range and more predictable performance. In some cases, the higher-quality speaker enclosure itself will sonically improve an untreated room by providing less and/or more even off-axis (polar) response — esp. bass to the sides/back — so you hear more direct output and less “room anomalies”. All of these factors can improve your enjoyment during those long trips down the “Fractal Rabbit Hole”, and will help how what you hear/create in your room “translates” to the outside world of other playback systems.

That said, do keep in mind that there are several different ways to improve the sound/accuracy of ANY room without spending a lot (if anything) on permanent construction/calibration — all of which will allow you to realize the accuracy of the “great monitors” you bought when you DO make improvements in your room.

FWIW I still rely on amps/speakers I spent waaaay too much on 25yrs ago — talk about great “return on investment” — and my small/portable monitor system (Bryston 3B/Fostex RM780’s) sounds pretty damn stunning wherever it goes. There’s also a ton to be said about the benefits of a long-term relationship with your monitors, i.e. you learn to “know” what they’re telling you regardless of where/how you may use them — which is what they’re for, yes?
Shame I can’t hear them side by side, what with all the European travel restrictions.....
Not planning on upgrading them for years, but at the same time it’s hard to know if I’ll even notice much difference with my current set up. Maybe I’ll put the extra money towards a PRS......

In the “OMG I found some cash!” Category, two of the studios I tune use Focal Twin 6Be powered monitors on the console bridge. I love them a LOT.

You're making a good choice.

I use the Beyer 880 Black 250 Ohm headphones, and they do a great job.

The only caveat I would add is that with the AF3, eventually you may miss the foot control.
The FC6 is pricey, and just out of my range for a while, but it's easy to live without for the first several months.

Once you get settled, and start using what you've built, it is nice to have the foot control.
I HAD to get an EV-1 eventually. I have to at least have Wah and Volume.

The FM3 only having 3 switches, and minding the difference in specs, I still see the 3 as the better choice.
There are cheaper options out there for MIDI FCs. I'm waiting for the FC6.

The real lesson I learned was with speakers. I wanted stereo and portability, so I got the L6 Powercab 212+, which is decent.
Sounds good, easy to use. A bit heavy/large.

However, I would love to return it for two smaller, physically-separated speakers (even if the quality took a hit) to get the stereo separation and take up less space.

As far as monitors, the A7X, are awesome. Quite pricey, though. There are cheaper alternatives that don't sound as good for sure.
Atomic CLR are almost never in stock, and also expensive.
Those cheap Headrush FRFRs are meh (rebranded Altos IIRC).

If I could go back, I would grab 2 of the smaller 8" QSC FRFR powered wedges, or similar.
You're in Europe, so Redsound FRFR speakers are an available option over there.

Cheers guys. Currently this is all only for home use, just for playing guitar, so monitors plus headphones will be the starting point. I don’t have an interface, I’m just planning on going straight into the monitors from the FM3, anyone foresee issues with that ?

I removed my name from the iii list, and am awaiting delivery of the FM3 next month. The difference in price (especially when you factor in an FC6, which is already half the price of the FM3) was just too much, plus I really “need” a new guitar. I love the integrated footswitch, looper etc, plus the fact I can travel easily with it, and if I find people to jam with it’ll be much easier to manage.

Sounds like I’m better off spending the extra on the monitors, and after a tonne of reading I’m hearing really good things about the Eve SC207’s, which I can get for less than the A7X. Anyone think that’s a good shout ?

Quick question to anyone who can help. I have a pedal I really love (Horizon Devices Flux Echo), and I’m guessing if I want to hear it in stereo through my monitors then I have to use a 4 cable method, and inputs 3/4 L or R on the rear of the Axe III ?

Quick question to anyone who can help. I have a pedal I really love (Horizon Devices Flux Echo), and I’m guessing if I want to hear it in stereo through my monitors then I have to use a 4 cable method, and inputs 3/4 L or R on the rear of the Axe III ?

Try recreating it in the iii's delay block?

Back
Top Bottom