Axe-Fx 3 Cleans much better than Axe-Fx 2? Comparison/opinion about.

leon1991

I'm an AxeFx2 owner and i just saw some videos on youtube demonstrating new AxeFx3 clean sounds (almost all fender amps).
I felt impressed, they seems to sound really much better than those in AxeFx2.
Is it only a sensation of mine or there has been that great improvement i felt about?
I'm looking for opinion on clean sounds in particular, even more precious if from previous AxeFx2 owner.
Anyway all comments are accepted obviously.

Thanks

I could not compare clean sounds because never had an axe II; however, I have created a few sounds (with my AXE III) using clean amps and the sound is awesome. Some of my best distortion sounds have resulted from a combination of a clean sound and an amp with distortion. I use to amps and two cabinets to com up with a unique awesome sound!! I have a huge pedal board with very expensive pedals in it; but, I could never match the sounds I can get from this unit...it's awesome. I'm waiting for my invite to purchase a FC-12!! hope to get it soon.

As a previous owner of an AxeFx 2 I think there is definitely an improvement, I think a few versions ago there was also some significant update that affected a lot of fender amps if I recall correctly. Any edge of breakup tones sound awesome.
My favourite clean is probably USA Pre, it just has an incredible clarity that works well for my kind of music.

I've sold my AF2, so I don't have a direct comparison, but I believe you're correct - the AF3 clean (well, and actually probably ALL) tones are better.

I struggled with my AF2 (which I haven't had for a year or so) to get a clean tone that I was happy with.

Now, with the AF3, I'm happy with nearly all my clean tones.

It's possible my tastes have changed... ?

It's possible that the AF2 also sounds great now, since the recent FW upgrades on them...?

I can't answer the last two comments, but have definitely been MUCH happier with the cleans on the AF3, especially since the last few FW upgrades. They have been magical, in many ways.

Between the II and III, the cleans and also gritty and high gain, were easier to dial in. Much quicker with few knobs to tinker with to get there. More chime and clearness. But not adding fakeness, adding more realism. Things sound more analogue. Immediacy also there in spades. Bounce and feel are so much better.

As a previous owner of an AxeFx 2 I think there is definitely an improvement, I think a few versions ago there was also some significant update that affected a lot of fender amps if I recall correctly. Any edge of breakup tones sound awesome.
My favourite clean is probably USA Pre, it just has an incredible clarity that works well for my kind of music.
Hello. I heard the amp models in the AXE 3 have a more realistic "feel" to them and even sound a bit better

What do you think? Is it worth paying the extra money to get the AXE3 if one has the cash?

Can't say there is much difference in the cleans between the II and the III having owned both. The process of dialing in sounds is easier on the III and the III's mod effects and reverbs are a little better which can add a noticeable overall depth to the sound. That said, the Axe FX II is still a world class unit IMHO and both are great tools to make music.

One guy's "much" is another guy's "barely". The II is end of life, there will be no further updates. If you can live with the II as it is forever and ever, stay put. If you want to be able to continue to grow and update, you have to migrate to the III.

I am still using the II as both my practice and gig rig. I am working on getting the III programmed now the FC-12 is out. MAYBE, by Christmas I will be ready to use the III. In the meantime, the II will do fine sufficing.

I think the cleans on the 3 slay; they were good on the 2, but there is an improvement.

The FX make a huge diff; not smearing and audiophile quality. Love it!

Let us know what you decide to do!

One guy's "much" is another guy's "barely". The II is end of life, there will be no further updates. If you can live with the II as it is forever and ever, stay put. If you want to be able to continue to grow and update, you have to migrate to the III.

Hi
So im told the 3 amps FEEL more realistic like a tube amp than the 2
Do you agree? While it can be subjective do you feel the 3 is worth the cost?

I am still using the II as both my practice and gig rig. I am working on getting the III programmed now the FC-12 is out. MAYBE, by Christmas I will be ready to use the III. In the meantime, the II will do fine sufficing.

Back
Top Bottom