Axe-FX 2 XL+ with MFC to control GCX Switcher. MIDI Routing Help please.

micahb

Hey guys. I have an AXE FX 2 XL+ controlled by an MFC-101. All good there, no issues. I just added a Voodoo Lab GCX Switcher to loop some pedals in and out and need to figure out some MIDI routing. First issue is the connection to the GCX. Kinda reads like I need to go out of the AXE and into the "Pedal" of the GCX, but with a 3 PIN MIDI cable as it states, " you must either use a cable without pins 1 and 3 or verify that the MIDI out of that device conforms to the MIDI specifications which states that pins 1 and 3 are unconnected" Can't seem to locate that info anywhere in the Axe manual. It just refers to using pins 6+7 for phantom power on some MIDI controllers.
So, anyone have any experience with this path that I am going down? Thanks in advance for your help.

I need more info to help you out. I've used a GCX for years in a previous setup, and it worked flawlessly, but that being said I never found the need to add it to the fractal. I would use the midi out of the Axe FX 2 XL+ to the in of the GCX, from there I would make my presets with or without the loops of the QCX activated.

Thanks Techboy57. Specifically, I am trying to get the MFC to send preset changes to both the Axe-Fx (which it already does) and the GCX. Let's pretend I would like IA button 1 on the MFC to bring up preset 1 on the Axe-Fx and also enable loops 4 and 5 on the GCX. Would that be something that is configured in the Axe-Fx or the MFC? Still trying to wrap my head around the architecture of the chain of command here. Thank you again.

It's been quite a while since I had my GCX... But I don't recall that it supported presets. Maybe I just forgot?

Checking the manual it seems like presets might only be possible in conjunction with the Ground Control.

I think you can only control individual loops...

First off midi signals are on pins 4 and 5 as a standard and you should be fine but I would double check with Fractal to verify 1 and 3 are not connected. With that said, you first will need to in the midi menu of the Axe-Fx turn ON the MFC ECHO TO MIDI OUT this way the midi from the MFC will be sent out the midi out port of the Axe Fx to the midi in of the GCX. Now to the MFC-101, the GCX only uses midi on channel 16. So looking at this image I have set IA 1 switch CC1 is for Scene 1 on the Axe Fx and CC2 is Loop 4 on the GCX and IA 2 is set for Scene 2 and GCX Loop 5. Now also note CC2 is also set the same way on IA 3 and 4 and this is what gives most people problems trying to do what your doing and here is the magic to it,
you must select NONE for the Axe Fx name for the IA switches as in IA 1&2 to be able to use the IA switch manually. As in IA 3&4 the Axe Fx name is Scene 3 and 4 so that is all those switches will do and nothing you put in any of the CC or PC fields will work unless you select NONE. Fractal did this to make it easy for people to use the MFC with the Axe Fx but not so easy along with other devices. So once you understand that one thing then the MFC-101 becomes a powerful midi controller. I hope this makes sense and how you were programming or trying to was probably right with the exception of changing that one thing, and remember the DCX is only listening to midi ch 16nnotation 2020-07-18 100.jpg

Awesome David. I really appreciate the insight here. I will try this as soon as I can and let you know how it works out.

David, I have finally connected to the MFC, pulled a Sys Dump and am able to modify the file , send it back and see changes. What I can't figure out is, in what column of the IA Switches page to you actually send the command to turn something on or off? There is the CC# (command change # like 104 for loop 1 or 107 for loop 4) there is the Channel # that it will send it on, (1 for the Axe-FX or 16 for the GCX) and the on and off values of the command that you are sending (set to 127= on and 0 = off) seemingly for every device. For instance, I want IASw 01 to turn on controller #104 (Loop 1 on GCX) so I need to send a value of 127 on channel 16 to controller 104, Right? I just don't see where to input the command value 127, only the on and off values across the board. Please tell me I am missing something stupid here. Thanks again for all of your help man.

should be set as per image 1 CC 104 next is the midi channel follwed by off which could be any value but in your case 0 then the on value of 127. So typically a CC off value is 0 and on is 127. When I am doing anything controlling something not Axe-Fx I use CC2. Now note second image if the Axe-Fx function is not set to NONE it will not send any value you set it is over ridden by something assigned in this window. Looking at third image I set what you want to do on IA switch 1, but noie IA 6 it says Drive 1 so that will only control the drive block bypassing any value set to the right

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-25 100632.jpg
    Annotation 2020-07-25 100632.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Annotation 2020-07-25 100816.jpg
    Annotation 2020-07-25 100816.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Annotation 2020-07-25 101627.jpg
    Annotation 2020-07-25 101627.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom