Axe FX 2 XL + sounds dull please help Home recording.

I set the track parameter to 'off' now. Now it is constantly generating the noise, regardless of the input.

But still that is what I get.

I suspected the global EQ and checked it. It is all set to flat. No plugins in the DAW also.

The slope of the analyzer is set to 0.0 db, by the way.

upload_2016-9-26_6-24-25.png

upload_2016-9-26_6-24-11.png

Pink noise has a 3 dB/octave (10 dB/decade) slope so that looks about right. A "proper" spectrum analyzer will display a flat response as it will adjust the bandwidth for each bin. A "dumb" FFT analyzer such as this will not. Voxengo stuff is notoriously clunky so the results don't surprise me. If you want a flat response using that analyzer set the oscillator to white noise.

The correct way to do audio spectrum analysis is to increase the bandwidth with the frequency. The Voxengo thing is obviously just plotting the results of the FFT on a log axis (which is wrong).

I am seeing a similar problem. I did a couple of tests that had (I think) interesting results. The first test was to take an external pink noise generator and plug it into the input jack on the Axe FX. I then recorded the AxeFX in Protools 12 using the USB connection playing just this pink noise, everything in the preset was bypassed. I plotted the result using SPAN and got a decently flat, fully range plot of pink noise like I would expect (see pic)
SPAN1.png

I then unplugged the external PN generator and used the Synth function to generate the pink noise. The result was much different. There is a distinct high end roll off starting at about 15K even thought the filter was adjusted to 20K. See Pic 2 below...
SPAN2.png

I also see a similar roll off when I use the external PN generator and insert any amp in the circuit. I tried re-flashing my FW to Quantum 4.0, reloading all the cab blocks, resetting everything in the utility menu and no change. Is this to be expected, or could some setting somewhere be causing this?

Back
Top Bottom