Axe fx 2 XL muddy sound through Port City

Solid state Power amp, modeling on, Tube power amp, modeling off.
not necessarily.

SS amp - amp sims on definately.

Tube power amp - sims depending on the amp, and the volume. If your not pushing the power tubes, amp sims on is better - normally. If its a fairly neutral sounding amp - like the Fryette 2/50/2 oir 2/90/2 then even when pushed sims on is sometimes better. Something like the Power Station is definately better with sims on - as its designed to re-amp already so doesnt add much if anything to the tone of the AFX.

What's funny to me is when I turn off the cab block, going into my Mesa 4 x 12 with Creamback 65s, my preset sounds like a Line 6 live. So I have my cab block on. I have never been able to get the fizzy terrible sound changed enough to like it. But it sounds incredible with cab blocks on.
What are you using for power?
I've tried to use my Marshal JVM 410H and 2x12 1936 cab live but while it's very loud plugged in conventionally, I find I have no headroom when using the Axe into the fx loop. My 100w Mackie thump is louder.
I also found that keeping the cab sims on often sounded better than without into the 2x12.

I've got the same setup (Matrix 1000 + Port City OS 2x12 with a Vintage 30 and Creamback H). Sounds great here. The only thing I've done is scoop a little 250 Hz in the Global EQ for output 2. As others have mentioned, the cab block should not be enabled if you're using a guitar cab.

I have all of my presets set up so that output 1 (headphones, USB, PA) uses the cab block and output 2 with the FX Loop goes to my guitar cab so that I can get the best of both worlds depending on the situation. Attached is a picture of the routing if that helps.
View attachment 38731
I'm assuming if I add a cab before the fx loop, I can have a different eq for my IEMs and FOH?

Back
Top Bottom