Axe Fx 2 XL Home Studio Help! ;)

Hey Guys

Well I have been trhashing the Axe lately and I am not missing tubes at all. Its fantastic. V15.2 is unreal I LOVE IT.

Anyway I have recently purchased a Vocal recording package and thought it would be a great idea to setup a little home recording studio.

Below are the items I have:

Mac Book Pro
2xRoland DS5 monitors
ART Two Channel USB Interface
Axe Fx 2 XL
Atomic CLR Wedge
Microphone and accessories for recording

Anyway I am wondering what an easy method would be so if I feel like Audio from my computer could be put through either my Roland monitors or my Atomic CLR wedge.

Or Audio from My Axe Fx could either go through my Roland monitors or my Atomic wedge?

I am wondering if there a easy reasonable priced mixer that would be able to do what I am after? Also Aux would be handy to.

I look forward to your replies as I would love to get this sorted ASAP

Thanks again

Category:Setup, Connect, Amplify - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I think the only missing part is a good DAW like Apple - Logic Pro X - Music production. Cranked up to X. but you can start with GarageBand preinstalled in your Mac.

From your AXE
- set I/O output 1 mode to either copy l->r or l->r sum or stereo depending on your needs (consider: recording only, tweaking live CLR sound, both..."
- connect Output 1 (XLR left) to CLR thus controlling your "live" output level independently
- a) connect USB to Mac Book Pro for recording if you plan to do re-amping and want to record stereo and guitar only (recommended) ... or
- b) connect Output 1 (XLR right) to ART Two
- c) do both above and select the desired input source from your DAW

ART Two
- for all other inputs (microphone etc)
- monitor outputs to your Roland DS5 monitors thus controlling your recordings and/or near-field monitoring output level independently

Any DAW (Logic Pro etc) set
- input device = AXE (or ART Two if you connect your AXE to ART Two)
- output device = ART Two (USB Audio CODEC ???)
- audio sample rate = 48 kHz

Best luck!

Thanks heaps for the reply.

I have Pro Logic 10 for my mac so all good.

So the above will let me play any audio through either my CLR or Roland with ease? Also I run my Rolands through the digital out (will this still be okay?)

SO really I dont need a little mixer?

Thanks again. Sorry for the questions I am totally new to this world.

I've got a Mackie Big Knob, in my opinion it works great with the Mac, I can choose between my Adam A77x's and my CLR's as well as choose inputs direct from the XL or from a DAW on my computer. The big knob controls the output volume. Some feel it colors the output so research if you're interested. I give it a big two thumbs up.

Last edited:
I've got a Mackie Big Knob, in my opinion it works great with the Mac, I can choose between my Adam A77x's and my CLR's as well as choose inputs direct from the XL or from a DAW on my computer. The big knob controls the output volume. Some feel it colors the output so research if you're interested. I give it a big two thumbs up.

Yeh that sounds great. Is there a way to get the Axe to output its audio through the usb?

Also if I run my Monitors through the USB interface will I lose quality going via 1/4 jack cables instead of digital like I am using at the moment from my mac to the monitors?

+1 on the Big Knob (used on ebay starting ~$175-225) or a Presonus Central Station but there are so many products that can do what you are trying to accomplish. Just an example the Peavey PV6 USB interface has a main out and studio monitor out (same volume knob though but also a second knob for the phones out) brand new for $130. A Mackie 402VLZ4 has separate volume knobs for the main outs and headphone outs for $100 brand new. For $400 bucks you can get a used Mackie HUI which has the Big Knob functionality plus a full DAW controller. Don't feel you need the "ideal" solution. If the cables match up and the knobs control the volume it will be fine for monitoring purposes. Me personally I sold my 16 channel Mackie mixer and just went with the MOTU 828 which has lots of I/O plus a digital mixer with DSP. That meets all my needs and makes it very easy to move my stuff since it is wired up an a portable four rack case I can grab and go.

So basically my recommendation is upgrade to a multi I/O audio interface or get a cheap mixer (used Mackie) if on a budget or try one of the more elegant solutions such as a monitor controller. You could also just stick with what you've got and use the Axe-FX as your audio output from the computer and hook up the monitors on Output 1 and Output 2 but that does come with some limitations.

+1 on the Big Knob (used on ebay starting ~$175-225) or a Presonus Central Station but there are so many products that can do what you are trying to accomplish. Just an example the Peavey PV6 USB interface has a main out and studio monitor out (same volume knob though but also a second knob for the phones out) brand new for $130. A Mackie 402VLZ4 has separate volume knobs for the main outs and headphone outs for $100 brand new. For $400 bucks you can get a used Mackie HUI which has the Big Knob functionality plus a full DAW controller. Don't feel you need the "ideal" solution. If the cables match up and the knobs control the volume it will be fine for monitoring purposes. Me personally I sold my 16 channel Mackie mixer and just went with the MOTU 828 which has lots of I/O plus a digital mixer with DSP. That meets all my needs and makes it very easy to move my stuff since it is wired up an a portable four rack case I can grab and go.

So basically my recommendation is upgrade to a multi I/O audio interface or get a cheap mixer (used Mackie) if on a budget or try one of the more elegant solutions such as a monitor controller. You could also just stick with what you've got and use the Axe-FX as your audio output from the computer and hook up the monitors on Output 1 and Output 2 but that does come with some limitations.

Thanks a lot.

Is this what I need?

SM Pro Audio

Input 1 mic? Input 2 Axe? (Ideally a 3rd input would be good to put my acoustic in?

then output 1 would be Xlr to 1/4 for monitors both L/R???

And output 2 would be XLR to XLR for the Atomic wedge??

And this little box would give me the ability to control volume and switch between the Clrs and Monitors?????

Back
Top Bottom