Axe FX 2 XL+ Fan Replacement Options

Ophidiuchus

Hello,

As the title says, I'd like to "upgrade" the fan on my XL+ from the stock one (which is quite noisy IMHO) to something noiseless. So far, my primary option was the Noctua NF-A8 ULN Premium 80mm Fan or the Noctua NF-A8 FLX Premium 80mm Fan. I want to hear your opinions on these from a cooling and noise perspective and other suggestions you might have.

Thanks guys!

I had the original AXE II that had a pretty loud fan. I replaced that with a quieter fan. I then received an XL which was even quieter than my II replacement fan. It's so quiet, I can barely tell it's on. The reason I mention this is that I'm wondering if yours is just a defective fan because I don't recall hearing reports of any XL, XL+ being noisy. Fractal support should be able to help you if that is the case.

I had the original AXE II that had a pretty loud fan. I replaced that with a quieter fan. I then received an XL which was even quieter than my II replacement fan. It's so quiet, I can barely tell it's on. The reason I mention this is that I'm wondering if yours is just a defective fan because I don't recall hearing reports of any XL, XL+ being noisy. Fractal support should be able to help you if that is the case.

Well it's barely audible but my room is extremely quite and I can hear the fan from 2 meters away from it. I simply a maniac who wants the most quite environment for critical listening.

Noctua fans are the quietest ones out there in my experience. Longest lasting, as well. Used a lot of them when I was building computers during that period when processors were getting hotter and hotter with every release and factory heatsinks/cases weren't keeping up. Really had to go above and beyond the call of duty to get a machine to stay down below a dull roar and continue to run.

Thanks guys!

I replaced mine with all manner of fans including the Noctua NF-A8 ULN. They were all as noisy as (or worse than) the original. It's certainly the loudest thing in my studio. If you find a real solution, please share!

Thanks
Pauly

Hello,
As the title says, I'd like to "upgrade" the fan on my XL+ from the stock one (which is quite noisy IMHO) to something noiseless. So far, my primary option was the Noctua NF-A8 ULN Premium 80mm Fan or the Noctua NF-A8 FLX Premium 80mm Fan. I want to hear your opinions on these from a cooling and noise perspective and other suggestions you might have.

Of course the obvious problem is that if your listening at levels where a barely audible fan at 2m is distracting, then your not listening at an appropriate intensity level to make critical mix decisions. Don't get me wrong, I've been totally OCD about fans and have swapped my Axe fans about 5-10 times over, experimenting with everything under the sun, and I've built silent PC's etc. Thing is though, that even when you get the Axe dead silent (I've gone as far as to unplug it and run it without the lid for a while, monitoring the temps with a heat gun as an experiment) there is still going to be noise in the room. Even very high end studio monitor speakers have some audible noise from about 1m, there is the sound of the HVAC system in your room etc. I was actually just talking about this subject with the tech that came by to update the ANSI certification on my Acoustic Systems sound insulted test booth which we use at the audiology practice where I work.

Your simply not going to get that quiet, and more so, even if you do, based upon the frequency curves of minimum audibility, famously known as the Fletcher-Munson effect, your perception of sounds in certain frequencies, namely the highs and lows, isn't going to be as sensitive for really quiet sounds. You need a decent dB level in order to have relatively flat perception of sound. This is why sound engineers don't mix at whisper levels, you can't really judge what is going on. Its why patches you make late a night sound poor at band volume etc.

So essentially, don't worry about it, turn up the volume a little bit, and you won't hear the fan

Uhhuh,
Now - imagine you are recording an acoustic guitar... Or a flute... Or some tablas...
A quiet studio is a good thing no matter what.
Thanks
Paulky

My MKI with replacement fan from g66 was more quiet than my new XL+
One thing in design that differs is the XL+ has air-intake holes on the sides which makes airflow more audible

I believe the problem is also that many computer fans are not meant to work well in the vertical position where the Axe-Fx 2 fan is placed. Most computer fans are usually horizontal in the case.

My MK I is definitely a bit noisy and I think the replacement fan is going to fail at some point too, it has that kind of noise to it.

Of course the obvious problem is that if your listening at levels where a barely audible fan at 2m is distracting, then your not listening at an appropriate intensity level to make critical mix decisions. Don't get me wrong, I've been totally OCD about fans and have swapped my Axe fans about 5-10 times over, experimenting with everything under the sun, and I've built silent PC's etc. Thing is though, that even when you get the Axe dead silent (I've gone as far as to unplug it and run it without the lid for a while, monitoring the temps with a heat gun as an experiment) there is still going to be noise in the room. Even very high end studio monitor speakers have some audible noise from about 1m, there is the sound of the HVAC system in your room etc. I was actually just talking about this subject with the tech that came by to update the ANSI certification on my Acoustic Systems sound insulted test booth which we use at the audiology practice where I work.

Your simply not going to get that quiet, and more so, even if you do, based upon the frequency curves of minimum audibility, famously known as the Fletcher-Munson effect, your perception of sounds in certain frequencies, namely the highs and lows, isn't going to be as sensitive for really quiet sounds. You need a decent dB level in order to have relatively flat perception of sound. This is why sound engineers don't mix at whisper levels, you can't really judge what is going on. Its why patches you make late a night sound poor at band volume etc.

So essentially, don't worry about it, turn up the volume a little bit, and you won't hear the fan

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. The thing is that nothing is louder in my room than the Axe. The monitors hum could only be perceived by putting the ear next to the cones, the computer fans are extremely quiet and I like to mix at low levels. I can't hear the fan during tracking or most of the time, but I really want to improve the overall noise situation since I'm super OCD about that stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom