Axe-Fx 2 XL+ Compatibility with Amp Sim Software?

Hi All! I have an Axe Fx 2 XL+ and I'm looking to use it as an audio interface for Amplitube 4. 1.) Is this possible? If so how do I go about setting this up? 2.) Is it even possible to record with this setup in a DAW or do I need a separate interface to plug into the Axe Fx as well? I'm very new to this stuff. Thanks in advance!

Hi All! I have an Axe Fx 2 XL+ and I'm looking to use it as an audio interface for Amplitube 4. 1.) Is this possible? If so how do I go about setting this up? 2.) Is it even possible to record with this setup in a DAW or do I need a separate interface to plug into the Axe Fx as well? I'm very new to this stuff. Thanks in advance!
So, you're wanting to use arguably the 2nd best (behind the Axe Fx III) amp modeler that exists as an interface to a so-so amp modeling plugin?

Seems kind of silly, but probably possible - although with some latency, I would guess.

Why not use the Axe Fx with it's USB driver as your interface AND your amp and effects?

make a preset with just Shunts from Input to Output.

So, you're wanting to use arguably the 2nd best (behind the Axe Fx III) amp modeler that exists as an interface to a so-so amp modeling plugin?

Seems kind of silly, but probably possible - although with some latency, I would guess.

Why not use the Axe Fx with it's USB driver as your interface AND your amp and effects?
I've been having a hard time getting good metal tones (I play primarily metal) with the Axe Fx and Amplitube seems a little bit more user friendly to me. A lot of Jargon with the Axe Edit interface that I have no clue on.

I've been having a hard time getting good metal tones (I play primarily metal) with the Axe Fx and Amplitube seems a little bit more user friendly to me. A lot of Jargon with the Axe Edit interface that I have no clue on.

Have you even tried at least learning Axe-Edit or the Axe module itself?
I find it completely baffling, considering its cost & especially the level of quality, how you would even entertain the idea of abandoning the Axe-Fx for an amp sim like Amplitube, or any other software amp sim for that matter.

I'd suggest watching some of the videos from @2112 and @ML SOUND LAB among others.

Or possibly look into presets from @Moke or @fremen.

Otherwise, that's a very expensive audio interface...

Dig a little more on the axe. I play pretty much only metal, mostly death/melo-death type stuff, and I find it pretty easy to get amazing metal tones out of the axe. Way easier than any plugin I've used, and I've used a lot of them.

Why not post up a preset you've been having trouble with? Some of us can take a look and see if there's anything we can point out.

What are you listening on? Personally I use a 2x12 with a matrix power amp, but I can also get great tones out of my studio monitors or XiTone wedge. Your setup here will make a big difference in how you might want to tweak the preset and also how easily you'll get the tone you want. In my experience, a lot of what makes a great metal tone comes from the feel, meaning a cab at decent volume. It's way harder (not at all impossible) to get a great metal tone through studio monitors or headphones than it is to get an awesome sparkly clean, again this is in my experience.

Tell us a little more about what you've been doing and we might be able to help you out. I promise you once you figure it out you'll never want to touch a plug-in again.

What are some bands that might be an example of the tone you're after?

Basic Metal tones are pretty easy. Use what you know in the amp block. Don’t adjust any “jargon" you don’t know. Seriously drop in a 5153 red or 6160 and you’re almost there.

Last edited:
My favorite is the angle severe, both 1 and 2 are absolutely awesome. I usually use a boost because I like the character of it but it's not necessary. I think right now I'm using ts808 mod, all default but drive zero or .1 and level maybe around 7. On the amp I drop the presence a few hairs (around 4-4.5 I think) bass around 6 mid around 3.5 and treble maybe 6. Drive and gain I think are in the ballpark of 6, might need a bit more than that if you're going frfr though.

I have made some more tweaks on the advanced pages, but they're not necessary it's just me nitpicking for certain things. I think maybe the biggest one is changing the power tube type to kt88... The Savage that I owned years ago had kt88's in it so that was an obvious change for me.

If the native instrument tones are more what you are after, I would sell the axe fx and get a dedicated interface like an RME, Prism, Antelope, or UAD.

Dig a little more on the axe. I play pretty much only metal, mostly death/melo-death type stuff, and I find it pretty easy to get amazing metal tones out of the axe. Way easier than any plugin I've used, and I've used a lot of them.

Why not post up a preset you've been having trouble with? Some of us can take a look and see if there's anything we can point out.

What are you listening on? Personally I use a 2x12 with a matrix power amp, but I can also get great tones out of my studio monitors or XiTone wedge. Your setup here will make a big difference in how you might want to tweak the preset and also how easily you'll get the tone you want. In my experience, a lot of what makes a great metal tone comes from the feel, meaning a cab at decent volume. It's way harder (not at all impossible) to get a great metal tone through studio monitors or headphones than it is to get an awesome sparkly clean, again this is in my experience.

Tell us a little more about what you've been doing and we might be able to help you out. I promise you once you figure it out you'll never want to touch a plug-in again.

What are some bands that might be an example of the tone you're after?
I've been trying to mess around with different Cab IRs. Not sure what cabs go good with what amps. And then theres the whole EQ/mic position/open or closed back/amp settings issue. Whats a good place to start as far as settings. There are so many parameters to mess with it can be somewhat overwhelming.

I don't do a whole lot with ir's. I bought the Misha cab pack from ml sound labs and typically just pick one or two, set the low cut around maybe 80hz and the high cut anywhere from 6-8.5khz. I haven't messed with any of the other cab block settings. Basically just scroll through them until one sounds pretty much good and then maybe tweak a bit for any minor stuff. You can spin your wheels for ages trying to go with an ir that's not right for you and tweaking it into submission.

Before buying the pack I found some of the stock cabs that work well but I can't remember what they were. If you search for yek's amp guide here he's put together an amazing PDF with tips on each amp model including cab suggestions.

What speakers are you playing through?

Have you even tried at least learning Axe-Edit or the Axe module itself?
I find it completely baffling, considering its cost & especially the level of quality, how you would even entertain the idea of abandoning the Axe-Fx for an amp sim like Amplitube, or any other software amp sim for that matter.
Yeah I've run through the manual theres a lot of jargon I don't understand. I would love to learn this stuff and know what I'm doing as far as tone shaping. Honestly I have no clue. Theres just so many possibilities it can get overwhelming. I'll try learning more a little at a time. Especially all the jargon

I don't do a whole lot with ir's. I bought the Misha cab pack from ml sound labs and typically just pick one or two, set the low cut around maybe 80hz and the high cut anywhere from 6-8.5khz. I haven't messed with any of the other cab block settings. Basically just scroll through them until one sounds pretty much good and then maybe tweak a bit for any minor stuff. You can spin your wheels for ages trying to go with an ir that's not right for you and tweaking it into submission.

Before buying the pack I found some of the stock cabs that work well but I can't remember what they were. If you search for yek's amp guide here he's put together an amazing PDF with tips on each amp model including cab suggestions.

What speakers are you playing through?
How do you know what to tweak on the settings? I've been playing through JBL studio monitors

Basic Metal tones are pretty easy. Use what you know in the amp block. Don’t adjust any “jargon" you don’t know. Seriously drop in a 5153 red or 6160 and you’re almost there.[/QUOTE
I've been using with Cab IRs. Any idea what cabs go good with these amps?

I do a lot of reading around here when I'm looking for something specific, and couple that with just going through and spinning knobs one at a time from one extreme to the other and see what effect it has. Go over to the tech notes section and there are a ton of threads from Cliff himself going into great detail of what a lot of the different parameters are.

With studio monitors you might try throwing in a small touch of reverb, I feel like it helps things to not sound so dry and add a little depth to it. Also definitely use that hi and lo pass in the cab block. The general recommendation is 80hz and 8.5khz, adjust the lower range up (say 100-120hz) if it's too boomy and adjust the higher range down if the high end is too shrill. Keeping in mind that you might also need to adjust bass, depth, treble, presence, master volume etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the replies. I'll def keep that in mind. I haven't used my Axe Fx in a little while. Do you know if my Axe Fx 2 will be compatible with Axe Edit 3?

No sweat. If you quote my post in your response I get a notification to look at the thread. So just do that when you get to the next hangup and I'll pop back in. I'm overseas right now but I might have a preset stored on my cloud that I can upload for you at some point too. None of mine are really tweaked for playing through monitors though so I can't do much on that front for you until I get home and get a chance to do it.

Back
Top Bottom