Axe fx 2 with tube power amp & cab question

I'm just wondering how people go about setting up tones with a tube tube power and cab. I appreciate the this set up isn't as popular however still would like to hear from those who run there axe this way. I have found I get a good sound at low volume but seems to crap out at rehearsal. I'm running into a mesa 2/50/2 and mesa cab. I saw between the buried and me recently and they were running this set up and it sounded awesome.

Thanks in advance

I am pretty new to the Axe FX world but I have this type of setup. I run my Ultra through my buddy's Mesa Coliseum 300 (amazing!) with a Mesa Oversized Cab. The best results I have had for tones are with the Cab Sims turned off and just dialing in from there. Try dialing in your tones at rehearsal volumes for the best results. Tube amps don't really come to life until you crank them up.

+1 power amp sims left on. I run Mesa 2-90 and Mesa cabs. I did the same as you had a good bedroom sound going on, then went to practice and it was terrible. i was kinda taken back by the amount of adjustment i had to do to get a good sound. Well, i ended up with a great sound but i did have to do a bit of tweaking. I eventually just started with a blank patch and added what i like now i'm happy. But the Axe is really not just a plug and play, you'll need to put some time in and experiment.

oh yeah..+1 on Building your patches at gig/practice volumes. I found that a lot of the factory patches had way too much gain in them.

You got to leave poweramps on- poweramps like the 290 have so much power/headroom it's impossible to get any natural saturation out of them- and some marshall sounds rely entirely on poweramp section for its distortion.

I went to rehearsal and balanced the four settings I was using at 95 DB in front of my QSC 12 stage speaker. This was at a church so you will probably set it higher depending on your band mix. I bought an electronic db meter for this purpose. I tried balancing by ear in my studio and it is just not as accurate.

I noticed when I got to the rehearsal at the venue, my acoustic sound was too boomy and my overdriven sounds were thin. I set eq at the venue on a couple of settings and solved the problem. This helped tremendously. I then dialed it back to about 85 db on the QSC and used it as my monitor and sent a signal to the board for the house mix.

This is much more complicated than a tube amp and pedal board, but once the sounds are set, I will not need to tweak them again./

When I was running a Mesa 395 with a Diezel cab, I preferred power amp sims on and cab sims off. Sounded killer.

I'm running with a Matrix GT800FX into a Mesa 1x12 thiele with the EVM 12L speaker. As everyone has said, leave power amp sims on. I turn the cabinet sims off when running this setup.

I'm also using a FRFR monitor at Chruch and for that, I do turn on the cabinet sims. When I switch to playing with the amp cab, all I have been doing is turning off the cabinet modeling in the global parameters. I haven't had to do any tweaking to adjust.

I suspect the problem is your EQ settings. A lot of guitarists tend to dial in tones with massive low end, scooped mids, and more gain than they really need when they are playing at low volume by themselves. Try turning down the gain and the low end, and turn up the mids. See if that helps.

Thanks for your replies. My band has just started rehearsing again after line up change so have been playing at home quietly. I was wondering how people approach this set up as opposed to direct.

Back
Top Bottom