Axe Fx 2 with Tannoy Reveal 402

Ytolyccuz

Inspired
Hi Guys,

I tried looking through another thread talking about reference monitors but I couldn't find anything about Tanno Reveal 402's. I also posted on that thread but probably got buried by the newer replies. My apologies if this thread is very specific to one device.

Would like to ask for your feedback specially from anyone who has used a Tannoy Reveal 402 with their Axe Fx 2 as a reference monitor for recording.

From where I am, it's quite difficult to find the highly recommended reference monitors I found on another thread (Adam A7x, Yamaha HS8). If I do find you on sale, it's usually twice the amount compared to the US retail price.

Thank you very much in advance!

I tried the tannoy after seeing that video by Pete Thorn. Personally, I felt that the high end was hyped and wasn't really as flat as the standard fare out there (Adam ax7, Hs8, rokit etc).

Ultimately I couldn't get on with them, especially knowing that I would be sending guitar tracks to other people that use other standard fare monitors. I figure if everyone's mixing on those types of monitors, I should too. I've had good luck with the ax7 and the Hs8s for guitar and home studio applications.

I've used reveals for about 4 years now. Replaced KRK Rokit 5s with the Tannoys. Much better bottom end on the Tannoys -- things translate better from the Reveals to my stage setup.

I don't know about hyped high end but I've never had a problem with my tones being dark when I switch to our PA or my EV back line.

I've tried/tested Tannoy 502 and Yamaha HS5 in my home "studio" setup. Compared, Tannoys had a pretty scooped sound (= hyped highs and, to a less extent, lows), and Yamahas had amazingly natural mids, good highs and ok lows.

Didn't like Tannoys at all, but I must admit, they literally reveal the sound, especially when tuning effects like reverb. I've decided that I'd rather hear more in the mid area, voice and such stuff, just cause for me it's more important in the mix.

Ended up with Yamaha MSP5 which have the same "mids from heaven", but slightly better bass response and front-facing bass ports which is important in my setup.

I have a pair of the 502's as well (along with my Focal Solo BE6's). In comparison, others have nailed it - the Tannoys are MUCH brighter, and they do support bass well. I keep them just for mix comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom