Axe FX 2 with Roland GR55, a simple song to understand...

doha1696

Inspired
Hi guys,

Here's a new Youtube I made with GR55 through Axe FX 2... It's a single track recorded with my Luke BFR GK equiped in Logic 9. You can listen to differnet kinds of instruments and sounds : acoustic guitars, electric, PCM sounds such as piano, sax, flute, synth, voices, etc...

'Hope you'll like it. If so, you subscribe to the Fret-Time Youtube channel. Don't hesitate to "like" our facebook page too

For French people, there's a complete overview of all that stuff on Fret-Time...

The video :

Roland GR55 with Axe FX 2, a simple song to understand... - YouTube

The "French" review :

Les expériences interdites : Roland GR55 + Axe FX 2 = Rolaxe FX 55 (en audio et en video)

Last edited:
Very nice example of what can be done with the GR 55 and Axe Fx. I've got the (older blue) GR55 and an axe Fx 2 but I've never used them together. I'm thinking of having the guitar out from the GR going into the front of the Axe (for more natural organic type tones) and the Synth out from the GR going to one of the rear inputs. Is this how you connect yours?

This is great!
I am more and more interested in the GR-55...
I've read your "review" on your site. Thanks for that!

I was wondering, what is your best routing setup when it comes to connect both devices together (Axe and GR55)? It seems there are so many possibilities.
Are you still sending your normal guitar signal to the Axe front input (without having it connected to the analog GK3 input)?
The GR modeled guitars and tunings feed the Axe rear input through the GR's "GUITAR OUT"?

Thank you!

About 2 weeks in with the GR55. Very much opened up some options from the cover band perspective. Heck, one song I don't even play guitar. I bounce between flute, sax and piano. For amp tones-just been using the axe because it just sounds better, but I've started to mess with mixing the two. Using the GR55 to push me over the top for a lead boost. Currently running the axe to matix1k to a 2x12. The GR55 goes to a K12. Just running the 13 pin into the GR, guitar out to the axe2. I use the volume on the guitar to govern axe levels and the volume pedal on the GR to mix that in when needed.

Very nice example of what can be done with the GR 55 and Axe Fx. I've got the (older blue) GR55 and an axe Fx 2 but I've never used them together. I'm thinking of having the guitar out from the GR going into the front of the Axe (for more natural organic type tones) and the Synth out from the GR going to one of the rear inputs. Is this how you connect yours?

That's what I do. Works great. I dont want to change banks on a gig-and I want 10 presets/5(7) effects tweaks. Bringing the GR into the mix made polyphonic synth stuff doable. I still use the axe for all amps. All wierd stuff that I used to use in the axe, I now use the GR for-and sometimes blend them. Really opened things up for the 4 piece band ;)

Current GR uses:flute, sax, cello, violin, B3, assorted synths, piano, harmonica, acoustic 6&12 and I use the USB player for money and warpigs sirens.
Special note about the piano-the GR55 can retune the strings, so I play the intro to locomotive breath and via the GR, the E and A strings are tuned down. After a few years of having to work on playing single notes with the axe-or farting out-now I have to MAKE myself play dual notes. Harmonica rocks with dual note stuff. B3 too. Born to be wild-yep, GR55. A great tool to add. I keep finding more places to add stuff. One tune I have cello on the low 4 strings, violin on the high two strings and blend in guitar. Sound really cool.

The best part-now I can focus on amp tones with the axe. I still have one wierd button, a drop half stuff setting for one song. I prefer the axe detuned to the GR amp tones.

GR guitar out into axe input. GR mono out to either the board or just an RCF monitor on top of my rack. Depends on the place.

I'm only using the GR55 modeled guitars and PCM synth sounds that I send directly into the 2 Axe FX rear inputs. I don't use any COSM amps or effetcs, only the Axe amps/effects and cabs. For the best results, you must use the PCM synths with no amps and cabs in the Axe, just use the effect section, it's wonderful... I have 2 RCF NX12 sma that allow me to send all sounds without any fear... clean guitars, overdriven and disto guitars, acoustics models from the GR55 and synth sounds + my backing tracks when I play alone.

I've had a G5-55 since it came out and used it a few times with the AxeII but got away from it. Yesterday I updated the firmware on the GR55 and going to try the two again. I'd like to see what patch Matrix looks like to get an idea of how to combine the two. I'm more curious where you are placing the FXL block, if thats how you are bringing in the GR55. Thanks for the video and this thread, I'm inspired now to experiment with these two great tools!

I'm doing the same thing, too. GR for synths, going into Input 2, with an FX block placed near the end, right before the reverb. Guitar and modeled guitars go from the GR-55's Guitar Out into the Axe's Input 1, then I use the axe for amps and effects.

Question: how have you dealt with the huge volume difference with the GR-55 stereo outs going into Input 2/FX Loop? Before I got the Axe and was running through a regular amp, I had the GR-55 output volume around 9:00, but I seem to almost have to crank it to max to make it mach my guitar volume running through the Axe amps.

I personaly turn the GR55 volume (on front panel) to Max and then adjust the volume of each patch. For me the patches volume is about 30-35. If you have a high level, the Axe clips and you'll have a distorted sound...

You've said "older blue". Is there any difference between the black and the blue one? I guess there isn't (except the colour) but I'm not sure.

Firstly; nice playing, great track and arranging, and nice sounds. How do you deal with the slight latency that exists with the PCM acoustic sound? I find the acoustic models sound a lot better than the cosm models, but you can't strum with the PCM tones, it feels like playing in a vat of treacle. Single notes are ok however.

To all those GR users out there, does the sound out of the "guitar out" from the GR bother you. I find it's too colured; it kind of defeats the point of the pristine AXE sounds. I've experimented using a small clean mixer and I've been running the GR stereo out into the mixer, and the Axe to two different channels on the mixer as well, both into a Matrix GF800 and into 2 EV12l guitar cabinets. I use the AXE volume control or the GR Switch/and volume to control them.

The crunch is: I haven't yet used this system live. How do you guys find changing patches and volumes in a non midi backing situation?

You can use the GR55 switches and expression pedal to manage the Axe. It's a bit short but works well...

Back
Top Bottom