axe fx 2 vs standard

aris17561

Hello everyone ,

I recently saw that video of Misha ( go to 7:15 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9VhozNHNk

I saw that he uses a axe fx2. I was very jelous of his tone so I consider of buying an axe fx. The problem is that I cannot affort an axe fx 2 so I think of a standard which I can find it 700-800 euros. I am not a huge fan of effects and delays and all these.

Just a good heavey guitar tone direct in my interface and I am ok. May you tell me according to the sound you can hear in the video , will I be able to get a close tone , and if not , does the stadard version has the ability for a person that is not a master in guitar recording but he is a fair player , and has a fair knoweledge in guitar recording , to find good tones ? I allso want to rec my bass through the axe fx...

Hello everyone ,

I recently saw that video of Misha ( go to 7:15 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9VhozNHNk

I saw that he uses a axe fx2. I was very jelous of his tone so I consider of buying an axe fx. The problem is that I cannot affort an axe fx 2 so I think of a standard which I can find it 700-800 euros. I am not a huge fan of effects and delays and all these.

Just a good heavey guitar tone direct in my interface and I am ok. May you tell me according to the sound you can hear in the video , will I be able to get a close tone , and if not , does the stadard version has the ability for a person that is not a master in guitar recording but he is a fair player , and has a fair knoweledge in guitar recording , to find good tones ? I allso want to rec my bass through the axe fx...

The standard version does not sell anymore. Production for the standard and Ultra have been halted for a while,from what I remember.

I think you will have a hard time finding one for 7-800€. My friend just sold his standard for 1200€.

If you are just into High-Gain Stuff, get a used Standard and the Mad Oak Cab Pak - and it will do a pretty good job for you. But I have to warn you - NEVER EVER try the Axe II, there's a big difference in Sound and Feel to the First Gen. Axes....you might decide to sell one of your familiy members to an african slave-trader to get it otherwise....;-)

I had a Standard until about a year or so and I was quite happy with it. Plenty of very good tones but you need to go through the learning process, it's not plug and play. There are lots of patches you can find from other users that you can tweak to your taste while you learn the unit.
For the price you mention it's a very good deal.

Thank you very much both... I am not a so twicking guy . I like plug n play. I just hope to find ready presets in the site. Cause I hate , trying to find a tone for hours...

I just hope to find ready presets in the site. Cause I hate , trying to find a tone for hours...

Ah... in almost 4 years of using an Ultra and AxeFX II, I haven't found one single patch from someone else that works for me and I have continued to use. That's not to say that their patches aren't any good, far from it in fact, but for me in my set up and application, nope no good... and I certainly don't do anything particularly special either!

Just Start basic....One Amp and one Cab (or Not, if you are not into FRFR)....Set the Amp controls to noon...and get through the usual suspects like 5150, Euro Ueber, FAS Metal or the Brit pre...don't rely too much on presets....

The axefx is a complex unit, if you are looking for plug and play, look elsewhere. It has a steep learning curve which does require a lot of research, patience, and tweaking. Although i will say that ive come to learn that less is more with these units. Ive been a proud owner of an ultra for about 3 years or so, and am still learning new tricks. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But of course I will try to learn all the features but I have seen that a lot Of modelers have the characteristic that you take for example the 5150 and a Mesa cab from the modeler and it sounds like shit . If you wanna get a close to real think sound or a decent sound , you have to put extra eq , extra cabs , extra impulses , extra pedals etc.

Is it the same with the axe fx ? If you take an amp and a cab , will you able have a cool tone ? Independent if you want to work with that sound more . Of course I will work to the sound a lot more . But is it easy to find a cool basic sound with a small effort ? Just like amp - cab direct to interface ...

There are some who've had plug n play experiences with the standard but most (myself including) had the opposite experience. It mostly depends on how well you know amps, how to tweak them and your ears. For plug and play I would look elsewhere.

For you price range, or a little more, a used Axe Standard is a good choice. The Standard takes a little more work to dial in than the Axe II but adding the Mad Oak IR pack, or the newer Ownhammer IR pack, should really help get your sound without as much tweaking - the old IRs were designed for the user to tweak/customize their sound, the newer IRs are mixed to sound good with much less tweaking.

Check out the Standard and Ultra section of the forum, there are a lot of current users. Ask there and listen to the clips.

One last thing ... I see that all the guys recording in YouTube with axe fx has huge guitar sound . I rec now with vsts and whatever twiking I do I cannot make so huge guitar sound . I see that with axe fx each guitar is like 2 guitars recorded . Is this the basic characteristic of axe fx , or it is one more characteristic of twicking ?

to achieve the huge sounds you are hearing on you tube, you will also need to learn some basic recording techniques. post a clip or two that you dig and we can sort of guide you in the right direction.

the following video was posted by a forum member here which is a great starting point if you're into that whole djent thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUozvGGnRPc

Don't take youtube-vids for too serious...and don't forget, to have a fat Metal-guitarsound you got to have a good bass-Sound, too. Most of the material you have seen, is double-tracked and properly mixed.

And, to get a good starting Point, I really suggest (like already mentioned) to take the Mad oak Mix Cabs, they are Far Way better than any of the Standard Cabs in the First Gen. Axes. That will help you from scratch and save a lot of tweaking time.

Back
Top Bottom