Axe-Fx 2 vs Helix LT (Dilemma Over)

Winthorpe

Hi all,

I don't normally buy in to these types of threads but I've had a gruelling and long journey sourcing an Axe-FX XL / MFC-101 here in the UK and then a Helix LT. Spoiler alert, the Helix was returned quite quickly.

The consensus on the web appears to be that you can dial in the Axe-FX and Helix to be almost the same, with the Axe-FX having a very subtle edge. IMHO this is complete and utter BS, from experience the Helix doesn't even come remotely close to the Axe-FX. I only concluded two positives to the Helix, the ability to very easily program from the unit itself and the chugginess when playing rhythm on the Cali and Archon high gain amps, though this quickly falls apart when dropping down to lead breaks.

In the short time I've had the Axe-FX it's become a truly inspiring unit. The tone, the playability, the response and feel, as well as the fluidity of individual notes during solos has to felt to be believed. I don't have an array of expensive guitars (Peavey Wolfgang, Ibanez FR, Epi LP etc) and for the first time I can get these guitars to sing with syrupy tones that sound like John Sykes from 1987. Something I've never been able to achieve with a high gain Marshall and TubeScreamer even when cranked to 11. By contrast when I drop down to solo on Helix it just feels a bit staccato and the fluidity is none existent, very evident if you can ever AB the two.

The other big plus to someone like me who favours high gain is that we normally struggle with clean tones, it's long been the compromise. The array of clean tones on the Axe-FX are awesome and the FX are exceptional, the 2290 delay is to die for! In contrast on Helix I struggled with the cleans and the ones I could get were not my liking and left me truly wanting more and the Fx were OK!

So to conclude, if you're tossing up between the Axe-FX and the Helix the biggest factor is probably going to be money, especially outside the US. Take my advice, save for longer and push up to the Fractal, you will never regret it.

The Helix is not a pimple on the ass of the Axe-FX!

Just my two pence, YMMV.

ahahah, great nickname Winthorpe...but watch out for Valentine...:D

I had the chance to use helix native and have to say it's pretty useful as a VST, especially because you can fine tune your sound without having to reamp, and you can obtain good sounds if you tweak it.

But the feeling while playing is pretty digital and i did not fell in love with it. I do prefer the axe fx 2 (the last ARES firmware is fantastic).

Hi all,

I don't normally buy in to these types of threads but I've had a gruelling and long journey sourcing an Axe-FX XL / MFC-101 here in the UK and then a Helix LT. Spoiler alert, the Helix was returned quite quickly.

The consensus on the web appears to be that you can dial in the Axe-FX and Helix to be almost the same, with the Axe-FX having a very subtle edge. IMHO this is complete and utter BS, from experience the Helix doesn't even come remotely close to the Axe-FX. I only concluded two positives to the Helix, the ability to very easily program from the unit itself and the chugginess when playing rhythm on the Cali and Archon high gain amps, though this quickly falls apart when dropping down to lead breaks.

In the short time I've had the Axe-FX it's become a truly inspiring unit. The tone, the playability, the response and feel, as well as the fluidity of individual notes during solos has to felt to be believed. I don't have an array of expensive guitars (Peavey Wolfgang, Ibanez FR, Epi LP etc) and for the first time I can get these guitars to sing with syrupy tones that sound like John Sykes from 1987. Something I've never been able to achieve with a high gain Marshall and TubeScreamer even when cranked to 11. By contrast when I drop down to solo on Helix it just feels a bit staccato and the fluidity is none existent, very evident if you can ever AB the two.

The other big plus to someone like me who favours high gain is that we normally struggle with clean tones, it's long been the compromise. The array of clean tones on the Axe-FX are awesome and the FX are exceptional, the 2290 delay is to die for! In contrast on Helix I struggled with the cleans and the ones I could get were not my liking and left me truly wanting more and the Fx were OK!

So to conclude, if you're tossing up between the Axe-FX and the Helix the biggest factor is probably going to be money, especially outside the US. Take my advice, save for longer and push up to the Fractal, you will never regret it.

The Helix is not a pimple on the ass of the Axe-FX!

Just my two pence, YMMV.
I own the Helix but recently bought the Axe FX 3, they don't compare at all, I tested it (The Helix) against the Axe FX 2 XL as well.
I've seen so many people online saying they are so similar, absolute BS like you said.

I just went through all of this myself, viewing countless videos on Youtube of each. I finally ran across this video, and it was what swayed me over to Fractal:

I agree I tried native and helix stomp and they were both unimpressive, not enough programmability. Very artificial sounding to my ears. Fractal is 10/10 for me while the helix stuff is like 5-7 at the very best. Didn't try any aftermarket IRs but honestly not sure it would bring it to an 8.

I should add I have heard people make decent recordings and sounds with the helix, however for me the feel and sound I get with the Fractal is night and day . I personally can't dial in good sounds with the helix or enjoy the feel of using it

I agree on this, I come from Line 6 HD500X, Helix Native, Helix Floor, now to Axe FX II Mark 2. I have Boogie V amp pack from ML Sound Lab, and my chase of good tones and tweaking has ended, the preset are recording ready, just slightly high/low pass eq and you're good to go. You'll focus more on playing and not tweaking, that's Fractal for you.

I have a HX Stomp as a gigbag rig and I updated the Stomp to 2.8 yesterday, new amps and drives. New features etc, etc,

Got bored after 20 min and was back on my AX8 and much happier

I'm super impressed by the whole Helix family of units. If they work for you then it's a great eco-system, but the tone and feel just isn't there for me. They sound like v v good digital systems, whereas with the AX8 I think the real amp's behind me.

This isn't a dig at Line6. I really do think they're a fine company who do a fine job, but the Helix tones just dont float my boat

I'm tempted to sell it to buy an Atomic unit again. But the AA3 didn't do it for me so I doubt anything else will

Cant wait for the FM3 release. Now that will be a cool little gigbag rig

not agree here,maybe you dont know how to tweak the Helix Native,i think Fractal sound more better but the Helix Native is not garbage like you said.
Yeah. That's it. I don't know how to tweak it. ROFL. IMO, it's garbage. Knock yourself out enjoying what I consider garbage.

again Helix Native is not garbage is you that dont know how to make it work.period.
I've prefaced every post with IMO. 20 years ago, HN may have been acceptable for me. But I am comparing it directly to other products (both software and hardware, and both paid and free) that are available today. Today, IMO, it is garbage. Virtual garbage, since I can't physically throw it in the bin. The Windows Recycle Bin is the best I could do with it.

If you had seen his posts, presets, and live performances over the last decade you would realize how absurd your comment sounds and is.
Actually, he's right. I don't know how to make it work. I tried every parameter of every model, every cab, every effect, and failed to make it work for me. I had better luck with Blue Cat free sims. Strictly speaking software, Universal Audio is light years ahead. BIAS ain't bad either (including their effect models). None top Fractal. IMO.

The III and Reaper's ability to use multichannel tracks to record raw pickup and processed Axe within the same media items makes recording and reamping as easy as a plugin. I've stopped searching for amp plugins because I no longer need them with the III.

Actually, he's right. I don't know how to make it work. I tried every parameter of every model, every cab, every effect, and failed to make it work for me. I had better luck with Blue Cat free sims. Strictly speaking software, Universal Audio is light years ahead. BIAS ain't bad either (including their effect models). None top Fractal. IMO.

The III and Reaper's ability to use multichannel tracks to record raw pickup and processed Axe within the same media items makes recording and reamping as easy as a plugin. I've stopped searching for amp plugins because I no longer need them with the III.
try this preset and let me know if you like it https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hKTu-uorB9AjoqJ-Yj6x1ctM1nJx5Qut

this guy use the helix and i dont think it sound like garbage..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom