Axe-Fx 2 vs Helix LT (Dilemma Over)

Actually, he's right. I don't know how to make it work. I tried every parameter of every model, every cab, every effect, and failed to make it work for me. I had better luck with Blue Cat free sims. Strictly speaking software, Universal Audio is light years ahead. BIAS ain't bad either (including their effect models). None top Fractal. IMO.

The III and Reaper's ability to use multichannel tracks to record raw pickup and processed Axe within the same media items makes recording and reamping as easy as a plugin. I've stopped searching for amp plugins because I no longer need them with the III.

You don't have to convince me. I'm in the same boat as you. :)

What does "sounds digital" mean? That is something all fractal users say about anything.... which is a direct quote from the inventor of the axe fx. Opinions are great, but at least say something that is an actual description. Nearly all, in some cases literally all, of the music you have listened to over the past couple decades is digitally processed. Orchestral recording engineers embraced digital when it came out because of the increased S/N ratio, dynamic range, and accuracy. Fractal audio's gear is equally digital to line6 or zoom or roland technology. They are all 100% digital, aside from the obvious analog buffers.

I do personally feel axe sounds amazing... mostly axe 3, but also axe 2, heck even the axe 1 sounded amazing. Line6, on the other hand, invented the technology, so you can't write them off since everything fractal does is based on technology invented by line6 engineers.

I find Axe is warmer sounding, by default, than the helix. I love both.... I personally am using helix currently but might grab another fractal unit soon since I love them too.

But... "sounds digital" is an absolutely, entirely meaningless description, right out of "audiophile" worlds where they claim the terrible LP record actually is more accurate than a cd.

What "sounds digital" used to mean was converters running at too low a frequency, so the high end was cut off and distorted. That hasn't been a thing since the 1980s.

Hi all,

I don't normally buy in to these types of threads but I've had a gruelling and long journey sourcing an Axe-FX XL / MFC-101 here in the UK and then a Helix LT. Spoiler alert, the Helix was returned quite quickly.

I bought an LT in April 2020. I liked it and actually bought Helix Native. The LT got sold as I was much happier using a laptop as space considerations came into play.

This week I bought a secondhand Axe FX Ultra. I'm absolutely blown away by it. I was surprised by how little I had to refer to the manual when going in via the front panel alone on day 1 of ownership as one of my MIDI cables was duff. Once new cables had arived on day 2, Axe Edit is a joy to use.

Thus far I've explored the amps, cabs, modulation, and drives and I really do think it sounds better than the LT.

I'm a definite Fractal convert.

Back
Top Bottom