Axe Fx 2 vs Fm3

ezvictor

Inspired
I currently use an AXE FX 2 mkii with the Mfc-101. I'm interested in getting the FM3 but am I making a lateral move? Am I downgrading?

All of the presets that I use have 2 amp blocks for gap-less switching. One amp is a dirty amp, and the other is a clean amp. Is PRESET switching on the Fm3 gap-less? Ive heard there is a way around having2 amp blocks in the FM3 but I cant remember what its called. Will it give me the work around that I need?
My presets use about 75% CPU on the axe fx2. Is that going to work out to a useable preset on the FM3 (obviously without the 2nd amp block)? Without the 2nd amp block, it runs at 71% CPU.
And what is this about having degraded CAB block IR quality? After all this time, the FM3 is starting to sound a little De-rated to me? Am I perceiving this or is it true?

I was excited but I'm kinda getting on the fence now.

You can use channels on the amp block for gapless switching. For CPU usage it depends on what your presets are like. If you use multiple reverb blocks and do a lot of ambient type sounds, you may run into some issues. I am sure that I wont have any problems porting my presets to the FM3. And for the cab block, the IR issue will only be temporary as Cliff and company will have it supporting ultrares IRs shortly. From the few folks who have already received their FM3s I have no concerns myself.

"Channels" Thats it. Thank you.

My presets are all I'd need for a show. I have a bunch that are all formatted the same but with different amps to suit my tastes and moods for that particular evening.

in-WAH-Phaser-Drive-null Filter-2 amps-Cab-comp-Chorus-flanger-reverb(normal)-delay- out
I occasionally throw a Multi-delay in for a big washy sound but that still only gets me to 75% on the AF2.

I'm glad the IRs are going to be full-capability soon.

You can use channels on the amp block for gapless switching. For CPU usage it depends on what your presets are like. If you use multiple reverb blocks and do a lot of ambient type sounds, you may run into some issues. I am sure that I wont have any problems porting my presets to the FM3. And for the cab block, the IR issue will only be temporary as Cliff and company will have it supporting ultrares IRs shortly. From the few folks who have already received their FM3s I have no concerns myself.

So, using a crunch 5153 on one channel and switching clean to a tweed on another is seemless?

So, using a crunch 5153 on one channel and switching clean to a tweed on another is seemless?
There'll always be a small gap changing channels. You can't go from one model to the next in the same block without a mute/unmute operation. Too many things changing too quickly to do it any other way. This is true for in-real-life amps too. But the gap is very, very, very small. As small or smaller than any IRL channel switching amp's change. A few miliseconds. For some that'll meet the definition of "seamless", for others it will not.

There'll always be a small gap changing channels. You can't go from one model to the next in the same block without a mute/unmute operation. Too many things changing too quickly to do it any other way. This is true for in-real-life amps too. But the gap is very, very, very small. As small or smaller than any IRL channel switching amp's change. A few miliseconds. For some that'll meet the definition of "seamless", for others it will not.

that's seemless in my book. I've been able to work with the AX8 and time it so it's less apparent. So, this works for me.

You'll be more than pleasantly surprised by the switching time coming from an AX8.
I’ve been gigging the AX8 hard for years. Gigging the fm3 just in the past 2 days with different setups really is so nice compared to the AX8. Tones are great from both. It’s more the UI and capabilities of the FM3 really making it a pleasure to use.

I spent 2 hours writing an article on the FM3 switches yesterday and I’m still not done. That’ll go on my site soon and turn into a video as soon as I can. Switching scenes/channels are faster and more seamless and I don’t need to wait “as long” (really like 50 milliseconds or less) or volume pedal down etc. like I’m used to doing on the AX8. I’m making it sound worse than it is on the AX8, but the FM3 improvements are pretty noticeable between the 2.

I did FM3 only last night and it was a pleasure to have such a small setup with all my sounds.

One thing I love about the FM3 and FC6 Setup is I can put a mic stand leg between the 2 for stability and keeping things small. This gig has a super small area for us and it helps a ton. My back is against the wall in these pics - it’s really a small space.

121D9B86-2942-4B04-B576-836DA5DE4155.jpeg
CBF28DC0-D559-496A-B76A-408284C6A4B9.jpeg

Last night’s gig was a long walk and mostly clean sounds so I took less gear and went just FM3. No need to switch too many things during the set. Yet I had 4 scenes and some effects in just 3 switches.
983E1472-1705-4584-A57F-41E317372B22.jpeg
Please comment on how neat my cable runs are ;)

Last edited:
My
I get no gap with my 2 using two amps. I use scenes to bypass/mute/unbypass them. I want to know if I will be satisfied with the switching on the fm3 using channels.

One thing I love about the FM3 and FC6 Setup is I can put a mic stand leg between the 2 for stability and keeping things small.
The flexibility of the FM3+FC6 combination continues to surprise me. I find myself loving this arrangement. The slight curve feels ergonomically good when I'm working and not paying attention to what's on the floor too.

It's reaaaallllly nice being able to post and talk about this stuff in the open now! :D

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 11.35.17 AM.png

I currently use an AXE FX 2 mkii with the Mfc-101. I'm interested in getting the FM3 but am I making a lateral move? Am I downgrading?

All of the presets that I use have 2 amp blocks for gap-less switching. One amp is a dirty amp, and the other is a clean amp. Is PRESET switching on the Fm3 gap-less? Ive heard there is a way around having2 amp blocks in the FM3 but I cant remember what its called. Will it give me the work around that I need?
My presets use about 75% CPU on the axe fx2. Is that going to work out to a useable preset on the FM3 (obviously without the 2nd amp block)? Without the 2nd amp block, it runs at 71% CPU.
And what is this about having degraded CAB block IR quality? After all this time, the FM3 is starting to sound a little De-rated to me? Am I perceiving this or is it true?

I was excited but I'm kinda getting on the fence now.
Downgrading in CPU, upgrading in sound and sound design options.

I can't tell you if you'll be stasified or not. Only you can decide that for yourself.
Thanks I guess :rolleyes:
If the unit sounds as good or better than tha 2 with out losing out on too much functionality, then I’ll be sold. My only problem with my current rig is that it’s big and cumbersome compared to the FM3 with an fc6. I have a feeling it will be an awesome unit but without being able to play with one and the lack of videos (compared to the library of vids from the ultra to the iii) I’m hesitant to dump over a grand on it. I’m not sure it’s gonna feel like the upgrade I want it to be. I’m not trolling. I think that you think I’m trolling. I got profit sharing coming so I want to get it but I don’t want to feel like I’m keeping up with Jones’s. I bought the standard. Bought the 2. Bought the Mfc. Been happy with all that but I’ll take a bath selling the 2 so I want to be confident grabbing the fm3. That’s all

I rambled.

Last edited:
Thanks I guess :rolleyes:
If the unit sounds as good or better than tha 2 with out losing out on too much functionality, then I’ll be sold. My only problem with my current rig is that it’s big and cumbersome compared to the FM3 with an fc6. I have a feeling it will be an awesome unit but without being able to play with one and the lack of videos (compared to the library of vids from the ultra to the iii) I’m hesitant to dump over a grand on it. I’m not sure it’s gonna feel like the upgrade I want it to be. I’m not trolling. I think that you think I’m trolling. I got profit sharing coming so I want to get it but I don’t want to feel like I’m keeping up with Jones’s. I bought the standard. Bought the 2. Bought the Mfc. Been happy with all that but I’ll take a bath selling the 2 so I want to be confident grabbing the fm3. That’s all

I rambled.
i don't think anyone thinks you're trolling. and iaresee wasn't trolling with his answer either. it's truly down to the person themselves to see if a piece of gear will work for them.

as for videos and examples comparing models, the FM3 just started shipping about a week ago. people are just receiving them. they're learning how to use it before posting videos. it takes time to create these things.

right now i'm typing an article explaining how to program the footswitches. i'm about 4 hours in to creating it, and probably at least 4 more to go. from there i need to extract things to make the script for a good video. that takes hours to plan and record, then hours to edit, assuming everything goes smoothly.

it's good to let customers post the first reactions and videos. but very soon you'll see some content from us beta testers and Fractal staff, i'm sure. i wanted to wait until the firmware was finalized for release before filming anything just in case there were changes and i'd have to scrap an entire video. we've already seen some tone demos from Cooper, Larry, and other artists. it's coming. you couldn't even buy the FM3 right now unless your invite gets sent.

don't worry. it's happening. people are receiving the units, learning how it works, and creating content for people to watch and read. but it doesn't happen overnight, that's for darn sure haha.

once my footswitch video is released, i'll probably do a live stream where i'll answer questions and show some things. i'm not a tone wizard by any means, but i tend to focus on setup, basics, and concepts.

I’m not trolling. I think that you think I’m trolling
I definitely don't think you're trolling and my answer was sincere. I've been around long enough to know that one person's satisified is another person's dissatisfaction. This stuff gets personal. That's why you've got 14 days to try it out.

I'll answer truthfully and objectively. If it's something subjective, that I'm positive on, I'll try to remember to call that out.

What do I have to gain from telling you you'll be satisified? I can't honestly know if you will or will not be satisfied. Maybe you'll love it? Maybe you won't? I know I love it. I loved my AX8 too and it's got dust all over it now. The small form factor gigs perfectly for me. But I have needs that work well with the unit's feature set. Maybe you do? Maybe you don't?

How can I know?

I said it last night, I'll say it again: assume good intentions when you read things on this forum and you'll have a lot more fun hanging out here.

As a tangent: I have a friend holding a bottle of Pliny the Younger he picked up for me at the brewery last week. Tomorrow night is the night! I'm looknig forward to it. Do you think I'll be satisified? :D If you say yes, and I'm not, what does that mean? :D (The answer is: nothing. It means nothing.)

Last edited:
I definitely don't think you're trolling and my answer was sincere. I've been around long enough to know that one person's satisified is another person's dissatisfaction. This stuff gets personal. That's why you've got 14 days to try it out.

I'll answer truthfully and objectively. If it's something subjective, that I'm positive on, I'll try to remember to call that out.

What do I have to gain from telling you you'll be satisified? I can't honestly know if you will or will not be satisfied. Maybe you'll love it? Maybe you won't? I know I love it. I loved my AX8 too and it's got dust all over it now. The small form factor gigs perfectly for me. But I have needs that work well with the unit's feature set. Maybe you do? Maybe you don't?

How can I know?

I said it last night, I'll say it again: assume good intentions when you read things on this forum and you'll have a lot more fun hanging out here.

As a tangent: I have a friend holding a bottle of Pliny the Younger he picked up for me at the brewery last week. Tomorrow night is the night! I'm looknig forward to it. Do you think I'll be satisified? :D If you say yes, and I'm not, what does that mean? :D (The answer is: nothing. It means nothing.)
I think Pliny the younger is hype incarnate. Their (RR) wine barrel aged beers are better but I’d grab one for the record. 👍
im a bells hopslam fan when it comes to limited release dipas.

You could try and answer if switching between "Channels" on the FM3 is similar, faster, or slower, compared to switching scenes on an Axe II that mutes one amp and unmutes another. "Maybe it's fast enough for you maybe it isn't" doesn't provide any helpful information.

You could try and answer if switching between "Channels" on the FM3 is similar, faster, or slower, compared to switching scenes on an Axe II that mutes one amp and unmutes another. "Maybe it's fast enough for you maybe it isn't" doesn't provide any helpful information.
That's a high bar you're setting for others to reach with their volunteered time.

@ezvictor - switching channels is not as seamless as the mute/unmute approach with dual amps on the Axe-Fx II. However, Cliff mentioned that there's a possibility of porting the code from the Axe-Fx III that improves preset/scene switching (the Axe-Fx III changes are really fast):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-in-the-house-a-few-quick-observations.158769/post-1896901

As for your preset description - in-WAH-Phaser-Drive-null Filter-2 amps-Cab-comp-Chorus-flanger-reverb(normal)-delay- out - other than dual amps, that sort of thing should be totally doable. There's lots of factory presets along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom