Axe Fx 2 USB Recording question

Bmcg

Little bit of a dumb question but never used the usb to record til today what way do I set up the I/O to just hear daw playback and not my guitar from the axe too I just wanna monitor through the daw and also anyone else use studio one thats the daw I'm using trying to set this up

Set the Output Block of the Axe-FX to Output 2, so the guitar will only be heard on Output 2 and the DAW on Output 1 (or vice-versa: set the DAW to the Axe-FX Output 2, and the guitar will be on Output 1 by default)

Set the Output Block of the Axe-FX to Output 2, so the guitar will only be heard on Output 2 and the DAW on Output 1 (or vice-versa: set the DAW to the Axe-FX Output 2, and the guitar will be on Output 1 by default)
This sounds like it'll work ill give it a shot thanks

I'm guessing you can do this on the axe fx 2?

It won't let me do that haha

This is possible but you'll have to add an FX Loop block to each preset or take one extra step per recording session. Monitors should be connected to Output 1 in any case.

1. I/O: Audio menu, set "USB/Digi Out Source" to "Output 2"

2. Send processed signal to Output 2 but not Output 1. You can either

a. Place an FX Loop at the end of of the chain, ideally before the last column to avoid automatic routing to Out 1. If you need to place it in the last column you can set the FX Loop's main balance control and (in output block) that row's pan control oppositely to remove the signal from Out 1.

or

b. Use presets with the more standard routing across the entire grid, and zero Output 1 Volume with a controller (CC via MIDI/USB, or Axe-FX pedal port assigned to Out 1 Volume, not the front panel level knob) as needed.

This is possible but you'll have to add an FX Loop block to each preset or take one extra step per recording session. Monitors should be connected to Output 1 in any case.

a. Place an FX Loop at the end of of the chain, ideally before the last column to avoid automatic routing to Out 1. If you need to place it in the last column you can set the FX Loop's main balance control and (in output block) that row's pan control oppositely to remove the signal from Out 1.

or

b. Use presets with the more standard routing across the entire grid, and zero Output 1 Volume with a controller (CC via MIDI/USB, or Axe-FX pedal port assigned to Out 1 Volume, not the front panel level knob) as needed.
Awesome thank you I appreciate it!

or

Also does the buffer in the control panel for the axe in the daw need to match the axes buffer?

No, those adjust different buffers (one on Axe-FX, one on computer) and don't need to have matching values.

No, those adjust different buffers (one on Axe-FX, one on computer) and don't need to have matching values.
Ok just curious Studio One is different theres 2 buffers I got the buffer from the axe fx what it says on control panel and theres a processing buffer inside the software too

Ok just curious Studio One is different theres 2 buffers I got the buffer from the axe fx what it says on control panel and theres a processing buffer inside the software too
The first one in Studio one is the one from the Axe Fx. The one in the processing tab is for your plug-ins, basically. Set both as low as you can get away with, without breakups or crackling. The processing tab you can bring much higher after all your tracks are recorded to the daw and you are in the mixing phase. The first tab with the settings for the Axe Fx should never change and you should be able to keep them between 8 and 32 all the time,if possible.

The first one in Studio one is the one from the Axe Fx. The one in the processing tab is for your plug-ins, basically. Set both as low as you can get away with, without breakups or crackling. The processing tab you can bring much higher after all your tracks are recorded to the daw and you are in the mixing phase. The first tab with the settings for the Axe Fx should never change and you should be able to keep them between 8 and 32 all the time,if possible.
Oh right I think its on 256 in the axe and the control panel I just go direct out of out 1 anyways so there's virtually 0 latency

Oh right I think its on 256 in the axe and the control panel I just go direct out of out 1 anyways so there's virtually 0 latency
At 256 you are at about 8ms of latency and creeping close to the noticeable latency. Try to lower the AfX3 to lower than that. Start at 8 and if you notice crackles go up some try to stay below 64 if you can. As far as the processing tab that is where you will notice latency if you listen to your other tracks with plug-ins running while you are recording tracks using the AfX3.

I don't notice it until after tracks are in the daw and I am listening back when I hear the new tracks are behind by enough to notice it. This is where the issue can happen as well.

Give it a shot low and see how it works for you. It works much better for me at 8 on AX3 and 32 in the processing tab. I have a very fast new computer though that can handle those low buffers.

Oh right on I can't monitor with effwcts on in the daw I'm hearing it direct through output 1 through the headphone jack in not monitoring guitar through studio one im bypassing all latency I had about 8 ms when I used to run through an interface now I'm going direct and can't feel anything im curious how low the latency is going direct though but it feels snappy as shut from what ive read its about 2ms and im using the 2 by the way

Oh right on I can't monitor with effwcts on in the daw I'm hearing it direct through output 1 through the headphone jack in not monitoring guitar through studio one im bypassing all latency I had about 8 ms when I used to run through an interface now I'm going direct and can't feel anything im curious how low the latency is going direct though but it feels snappy as shut from what ive read its about 2ms and im using the 2 by the way
I don't monitor guitar through the daw either. I use output 1 as well, only with studio monitors instead of the headphone jack. I disable direct monitoring from S1.

Still should be pretty similar with the II as far as latency and daw use, goes. If you are getting 2ms, that is quite good.

I don't monitor guitar through the daw either. I use output 1 as well, only with studio monitors instead of the headphone jack. I disable direct monitoring from S1.

Still should be pretty similar with the II as far as latency and daw use, goes. If you are getting 2ms, that is quite good.
Oh right on cool ya its so low I don't notice it at all.it also sounds so much more pure running direct as aposed to running through an interface and the conversion on my interface is great but its still better

Back
Top Bottom