Axe-Fx 2 Usability Questions

Hi all,

I've been tweaking and playing with my axe fx2 quite alot over the last couple weeks, I feel im getting closer and closer to a tone I like, i'm not quite there yet and have a few questions that i've come across in using so far. It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone could help answer any of the below.

:- I've noticed a really weird symptom when playing my axe fx that I've never had when playing amps in the past....and that's when I sort of don't hit a note entirely cleanly it's like the sound doesn't come through AT ALL...if that makes sense? it's as if the sound just cut out for that/those notes.....is this a common symptom of the axe and is there a way to fix it? I can try and post a clip if this doesn't make sense.

:- Do you guys generally use physical power amps and non-powered speakers (if so do you disable the axe fx power amp emulation?) OR do you guys generally use powered speakers/Studio Monitors? i'm using Rokit 5's.....I guess the sound is O.K.....

:- If I select a preset where the output is clipping out, to remedy this i've been lowering the "level" in the amp block as oppose to the master volume etc.... Is that the correct and easiest way to solve clipping without changing the tone? Or will this method give less amp gain when lowering the level?

:- Is there any benefit between using Output1 or Output 2? What do you guys generally use?

:- When using a preset with tone matching, does that mean you place anything in the signal chain in a different place? I.e I usually put any compression at the very front, though in some of the presets i've seen with TM, the compressor is AFTER the TM block and after the amp/cab etc....that seemed odd to me.

thanks so much,

(i'll add a little video of my tone so far once I upload it to YT later)

P

Last edited:
:- I've noticed a really weird symptom when playing my axe fx that I've never had when playing amps in the past....and that's when I sort of don't hit a note entirely cleanly it's like the sound doesn't come through AT ALL...if that makes sense? it's as if the sound just cut out for that/those notes.....is this a common symptom of the axe and is there a way to fix it? I can try and post a clip if this doesn't make sense.
Check the Input "block" at the start of the grid (far left). There is a noise gate that that defaults to being on. You may want to adjust the threshold... Or turn it off.

:- Do you guys generally use physical power amps and non-powered speakers (if so do you disable the axe fx power amp emulation?) OR do you guys generally use powered speakers/Studio Monitors? i'm using Rokit 5's.....I guess the sound is O.K.....
I use a solid state power amp with passive FRFR speakers and leave power amp modeling enabled and cabinet modeling enabled.

Disable power amp modeling if you are using a tube power amp (in general).

:- If I select a preset where the output is clipping out, to remedy this i've been lowering the "level" in the amp block as oppose to the master volume etc.... Is that the correct and easiest way to solve clipping without changing the tone? Or will this method give less amp gain when lowering the level?
Yes, using Amp Level is a good way to do this. Master Volume can affect the tone, Level won't.

:- Is there any benefit between using Output1 or Output 2? What do you guys generally use?
Output 1 has XLR and Output 2 has only 1/4".

If you need an external "loop" those are tied to Output 2.

Thankyou @unix-guy. That is incredibly helpful :)

and a few questions more if you don't mind helping!

:- My signal chain is guitar (into instrument input) ----> axe fx 2 ----> 2 x Rokit 5 studio monitors. I'm using the L + R XLR's on Output 1.... L going into one of the studio monitors, R going into the other. Is that the correct way for that setup? and if so, am i correct in thinking that Input 1 should be set to "Left Only"?........... Also is there any benefit in having this setup in stereo instead? using output 1 for one of the studio monitors and output 2 for the other?

:- How straight forward is it to back up user cabs?

:- Is it weird that some of the paid for presets that were on this unit when I bought it.... have NO cab block?

:- I've noticed my axe does not sound like the presets i'm downloading....where is the best place to start for trouble shooting this?

:- My signal chain is guitar (into instrument input) ----> axe fx 2 ----> 2 x Rokit 5 studio monitors. I'm using the L + R XLR's on Output 1.... L going into one of the studio monitors, R going into the other. Is that the correct way for that setup? and if so, am i correct in thinking that Input 1 should be set to "Left Only"?
All of this is correct. In addition to that, you may want to set Output 1 Mode to Stereo so you hear the stereo effects of delays, reverbs, choruses, etc.

using output 1 for one of the studio monitors and output 2 for the other?
Don't do this. Use Output 1 Left for your left KRK monitor and Output 1 Right for your right KRK monitor. Output 2 is just another stereo output that can be used for a multitude of things, but splitting your KRK monitors between Output 1 and Output 2 will just make things very confusing.

As for backing your cabs up, I think you have to use Fractal Bot for that? I'll leave that question to other forum users. I don't back up my stuff as regularly as I should so I don't know the process from memory. (I'm at work)

:- Is it weird that some of the paid for presets that were on this unit when I bought it.... have NO cab block?
Depends entirely on the preset. Maybe designed for use with a real cab?

:- I've noticed my axe does not sound like the presets i'm downloading....where is the best place to start for trouble shooting this?
Depends on a lot of factors: what guitar, pickups, playing technique, firmware version of your unit vs the one the preset was created on, what you're listening with, etc.

Personally I never found presets from others worked for me.

Thanks for all the replies....I'm am still struggling to get a tone that I really like....For a bit of context I play a lot of lead stuff, lots of improv etc......I know the tone problems i'm facing aren't incapabilities from the Axe....When I listen to the tones Rick Graham and Tom Quayle are getting from theirs....they're perfect....they've both been guitar teachers of mine in the past, well are that alot of how good it sounds is in their fingers but still taking that into account...something isnt quite right with the tones i'm getting.

Yes that makes sense RE: it being designed for use with a real CAB.

I'm going to try running the Axe FX 2 through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tonight....and see how that sounds. That's just Out1-L ---> Fender Hot Rod FX return....right? I take it at that point it doesnt matter if use Copy L to R or Summing etc...?

thanks, I was able to get a much better sound using the axe FX into the FX loop of my Fender Hotrod Deluxe and using the power amp on that.

I disabled power amp modelling BUT it sounded much better with cab modelling still turned on, oddly enough.

For reference, this was my take on getting close to a Pantera / Dimebag tone.

Back
Top Bottom