Axe-Fx 2 to Axe-Fx 3 Tone Match

I need to revisit this I suppose. I just realized that in the axe 2 I am already using the exported tone matches as cabs. 2 amp and 2 can blocks only and it's puniushing. I need to go through the 3 because there are some extra settings that aren't present o the 2 and something is giving me a different result than I hoped for.

I know it's ME because the axe 3 SLAYS in every preset except this one lol.
email me at markmoke@aol.com and send me a couple of your Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx III presets (and IRs) so I can take a look and advise you on what's up?

Al,

I'm trying to export tone match data on Axe-Fx II patches to .wav and convert with cablab lite as you described above. However with the current version of fractool, I don't get the option to save the tone match block as .wav. It just shows me a list of fractal devices as "destination format." I can select "Axe-Fx III" which I assume is intended to save me a couple step but I can't seem to get that to work right either. I have tried using the .syx that generates when I select "Axe-fx III" as destination format as a cab but that doesn't seem to work. It just sounds really strange.

What am I missing?

Al,

I'm trying to export tone match data on Axe-Fx II patches to .wav and convert with cablab lite as you described above. However with the current version of fractool, I don't get the option to save the tone match block as .wav. It just shows me a list of fractal devices as "destination format." I can select "Axe-Fx III" which I assume is intended to save me a couple step but I can't seem to get that to work right either. I have tried using the .syx that generates when I select "Axe-fx III" as destination format as a cab but that doesn't seem to work. It just sounds really strange.

What am I missing?
Yes it directly exports to cab format
Did you import the generated cab with axeedit cab manage ?

Yes it directly exports to cab format
Did you import the generated cab with axeedit cab manage ?

Precisely. It imports fine. The tone is anything but usable, though. I can't imagine this sounds like it should. I would post the preset here so you can try to reproduce but it is a paid preset.

Easy if you don't have the II anymore : open the preset with FracTool , right click on tma block and export tonematch data as wav file.
Then convert wav to syx with CabLab Lite then import the syx as a cab in the III then point an IR player block to this cab. Done
I know you've updated Fractool since this, but I didn't see an option to convert to wav.
It did save as a .syx file, but didn't sound right. One of them was super quiet and one had no sound at all....

Oh, that's a bummer...
So the only way is to Export as an IR directly from the AxeFx II?
That didn't seem to work for me because I use the "Amount" and "Smoothing" functions and it doesn't seem to export those settings.

Oh, that's a bummer...
That didn't seem to work for me because I use the "Amount" and "Smoothing" functions and it doesn't seem to export those settings.
The amount is a mix control
The smoothing is available in the cab block too, so you can recreate everything

Thanks Al.
I did try the Cab block smoothing and it didn't seem to have any effect (this effect was very obvious/noticeable in the original Tone Match block).
Also tried mixing with the Totally Flat IR. Once again, I didn't really get the results I was looking for.

I guess the best way forward will be to redo whatever Tone Matches I want in the Axe-Fx III anyway ;)

Oh, that's a bummer...
Hey Mark, If the 'Amount' and/or the 'Smoothing' are set to anything other than default, Try making sure that the Mode is set to 'Offline'. That should make the resulting IR include your 'Amount' and 'Smoothing' settings.

The resulting IR will be in 'Normal' Res. A Mode setting of 'Live' results in an IR that is recognized as 'Ultra-Res', but will not include any 'Amount' or 'Smoothing' settings.

Last edited:
Easy if you don't have the II anymore : open the preset with FracTool , right click on tma block and export tonematch data as wav file.
Then convert wav to syx with CabLab Lite then import the syx as a cab in the III then point an IR player block to this cab. Done
trying to get this to work for fm3...when i export tm block from axe ii patch i pick fm3 but it doesnt want to import the tma.syx as cab in fm3 edit cab manager, please help

I believe .SYX cab files are device specific, so it probably won't load directly on the II. You can use FracTool to convert it to an Axe II cab though.

Back
Top Bottom