Axe Fx 2 + Pd HD500 expression pedal question

Ravaya

Hello all, I understand that my question might have been answered before but I would really appreciate some input here. I am setting up my pod HD500 to work as a foot controller for my axe 2, and while learn mode is a charm with all the switches
and I 've managed to switch on/off delays and effects, getting the volume pedal to work absolutely eludes me. Bear in mind that I'm really new to this MIDI stuff and actually assigning buttons to effects was a revelation for me. So, is what I'm asking
even possible? (That is to use the volume pedal of the POD to control the volume and/or wah on the axe)If so could a good man direct me as to how does one do that?

Many thnx in advance

Ravaya

There used to be a patch/ preset on the L6 patch site for using the HD500 as a midi controller for the Axe FX, take a look for it that may help.

Thnx man. Will try it. Meanwhile if anyone has more precise insight (and time for that matter), please don't hesitate. Thnx again for the tip Stratamania

I'm sure you just assign the CC ( 1 ) which is axe volume default (or is it 7 ) ..it's 1st on the I/O list ......if your other switches work then device numbet is correct and it should work ..you may want to callibrate it in the global, pedal page .

There are two patches over at the L6 custom tone site, do a search for Axe FX and it will bring up two. There are links in the notes back to this forum for more information.

Thnx so much. A combination of your insights, plus digging in the forum and finally finding the Pod patches did the trick. The only thing that bothers me now is that the pod expression pedal works really nice when used as a wah but seems to have a rather short sweep when used like a volume. I guess pedal calibration in the I/O menu only refers to connecting a physical pedal to the axe's pedal jack right? If so is there a way to calibrated the pod's pedal for a longer volume sweep? Help welcome as this is the final step before I finally start using my axe 2 live :)

Try calibrating the pedal just the same. All the Axe FX knows is it is a pedal sending on a CC a value between 0 and 127. If the pedal goes from for sake of argument 5 to 120 it needs calibrating so the Axe knows the range to expect at the bottom and top.

I've been using the HD500 as a controller since January while waiting for my MFC. There are some REAL quirks to it.

My first tip is to keep any customization on the HD to an absolute minimum. If you want to map a pedal or switch to the Axe, look at the what the HD is sending as the CC for that switch and change the cc number on the AXE for whichever external you want to assign to the switch. I say that because the HD sometimes "resets" the MIDI settings. I haven't quite figured out when that happens. Possibly only when it is connect via USB, but I'm not sure. In any event, it does happen so avoid it by allowing the HD to operate with all of its default settings.

Also, I haven't quite figured out the magic on defaulting an effect to on or off and coordinating that with the on/off lights on the HD. I'm experienced with MIDI having played a MIDI guitar for a while and previously owning a G System, but this has me stumped. I'm essentially using the same HD patch for all of my settings. However, on some of them, I can get the effect to default properly to off or on, and I can get the light to sync up with it by setting the HD patch to default to the same status. On others, it's always opposite. On other patches, the light is off all the time, even though the switch works to turn the effect on and off. And on others, the effect defaults to on (with the light in random state) and I have to click the switch twice before it will start turning the effect on and off.

Overall, the HD works, but it's just flaky. The good news is that the flakiness is consistent, meaning I just have to note on my set list what the switch situation is (e.g. FS2 2x means click the switch twice to get it to work) because it will work that way every time.

Thnx again for your input guys. I'm starting to suspect that the rather short sweep happens due to the axe corresponding to the pod's ex pedal as the volume control for input 1 and not as an actual volume block. will experiment further and report.

I'm also new to midi and could need some help. I have Axe II and Pod Hd500. The pod can change presets and effects in my axe, but can i program it to change scenes? This would be great, if it's possible.

Hey guys! Nice to meet you! First post here... Sorry for disturbing but Im brazilian and dont have many sources of info here for the axe fx 2...

I would REALLY appreciate your help in my set up...

I have a boss gt-100 as a midi controller for the axe fx 2. Basically for switching presets. Thats ok! My nightmare is when trying to use the wah and its footswitch to turn on and off the effect! Ive seen a video tutorial on that subject with the MFC and the mission sp-1 pedal (watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM). I could assign the exp pedal to control the wah block (Ext Crtl 1 = CC16). But only with the autoengage option. The exp pedal switch is acting like a momentary switch (Ext Crtl = CC17). Eventhough in the gt100 its set to toggle. I mean that I can assign it to turn the wah block on and of, but it doesnt stay on or off when I press it. It insist to be momentary... It sucks! I cant use my wah block with this set up. I dont like the autoengage... This is sad because I need to do the same thing for the whammy.... And also would like to use the exp pedal as a volume pedal plus wah or whammy together...

In my gt100 it works flawless. So I hope there is something in the axe fx 2 programing that Im not quite mastering...

Clearing things up...

what I cant do is to set the exp pedal switch to be set to on or off like you did with the mission sp-1 pedal on this video at 13:04

(watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM)

Thanks very very much!

regards!

Back
Top Bottom