Axe-FX 2 Ordered! Couple of Questions

Satch4u3

Experienced
Ordered the Axe-FX2 a couple days ago and it should be here on Monday! Talk about fast shipping! To say that I am excited to get this unit is an understatement!

I have been reading loads of material on the unit but have a few questions.

This unit will be replacing my Mark V rig. Head and 212 recto cab. Are there any good tone capture presets out there of the Mark V? I did notice that there were a couple on the Axe-Change site but obviously I cannot test them yet. :) I noticed that they were created using older firmware. Firmware 9 I think it was. Also, I read somewhere that the Axe-fx sounds different between firmware versions. So I guess the question would be, would a firmware 9 tone capture sound the same in Firmware 10?

I read that the Axe-fx has the capability to be able to be utilized by two guitar players at once in a live setting. How would effect switching(boost, delays, reverbs, scenes etc..) be addressed in this situation? Could you use two midi boards somehow configured for independent switching within the same preset?

This unit will be mostly for live use as I only record occasionally. I know there is no secret formula and that you have to use your ears to adjust but does anyone have any advice they could give that would make the transition from a real rig to an Axe-fx a little easier. As in, when you first got the Axe-fx in a live situation is there something that you always do when creating presets or Axe-fx settings that you find is a must for a great sound to FOH?

Currently most clubs we play have competent sound man with a nice system and nice monitor setup. Also, I exclusively use an in-ear monitor system with another band that I play in where I use a POD HD500 with good results. The Axe-fx will obviously be replacing that. So I am use to not having a real amp pushing air all the time. How do you guys find the axe with in ears? And again is there something that you always like to do in your presets/axe-fx settings for a nice sound in your in ears. Oh and the in-ear system is a Audio Technica MT3 with Shure buds. Can't remember what the model of the buds are.

I recently got mine as well :D

I was just going to say that there are some Petrucci presets in the stock setup that are a good starting point to dialing in the Mesa Mark sounds. You usually use a Parametric EQ after one of the USA amp models to mimic the 5 band graphic EQ on those amps.

The Wiki is a great place to start. This forum is also great. I was, frankly disappointed when I first got mine. As I learned more and became acquainted with the Axe I realized that it's a wonderful tool. Some folks like a powered speaker approach (FRFR) and others go through the fx return of their amp. I really like the sound of a guitar cab, so I use a power amp (Carvin) and Marshall cab and it just roars or purrs depending on my program. Start with the first 50 or 60 programs and find one that you like and tweak from there. It's a great and fun adventure!!! Don't be discouraged, it's worth it!

The petrucci patches are a great starting point. I would also recommend making sure you set up a recto cab with an sm57 before you start dialing in a tone on any Mesa. They just sound better over recto cabs.

You probably won't have to rely on tonematches of a Mark V to get a sound that you love. I went into the Axe hoping to replace my Fender amps I was using for a decade, but ended up falling in love with some other amps and now I hardly use the Fenders. In fact, I'm mostly using the Mark IV and other Mesas.

Yes, you can do two amps with two guitarists (I do this for teaching). Plug one guitar into Input 1 L, one guitar into Input 2 L, and then on the patch, input one starts at the left of the layout like usual, and input two needs the FXL (effects loop) block to start the signal path. The just continue both signal chains to the end to reach the output. If you want the two guitars to have separate outputs, it will be a little trickier. You'll need to use an FX Send at the end of the signal for guitar two, going to an FX Return at the very beginning, before the FXL block. It's kind of confusing, but that's because the FXL is designed with being an effects loop in mind, and not a secondary input/output.

As far as controlling that with floorboards, you might be able to make that work. You could daisy chain two boards via MIDI, and have them each setup to control only the effects/amps that are on each separate signal path. However, things like scenes and patch changes are universal.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another question.

I currently have a Mesa 212 recto cab that I am considering selling to help fund a decent FRFR. Maybe the QCS K12 or JBL PRX612M. Not sure yet. After reading more and watching youtube I see people are getting great results with a cab and power amp(Matrix GT800Fx or GT1000fx). I kind of wanted to get away from lugging around the 212 but are the differences between a FRFR and cab + power amp that great?

Thoughts??

...are the differences between a FRFR and cab + power amp that great?

Thoughts??

IMO, yes, the differences are very significant. Some prefer one approach, some the other. Unfortunately, the only way to know which will work best for you is to try both.

In a nutshell, the main difference is this:

Playing through FRFR you will leave cabinet sims turned on in the Axe-FX. The sound is more like having your rig mic'd up in another room and listening to it through studio monitors.

Playing with a power amp and guitar cab you will turn the cabinet sims off in the Axe-FX. The sound is more like playing through a traditional guitar rig.

Each has pros and cons:

Using FRFR, you can send a direct signal to FOH that matches what you are sending to your FRFR monitor. You have more flexibility to use various cab sims. But some find FRFR to sound somewhat "artificial" and it does not sound like playing through a guitar amp/cab as mentioned above.

Using a power amp/cab setup gives you that more familiar amp sound, but now you are limited to the speaker you are using (clean Fender patches won't sound as convincing through a closed back 4x12 cabinet for example) and you cannot send a direct signal to FOH unless you create a second signal path with a cab block in the signal.

There are lots of threads on this topic. I suggest reading through the Amps and Cabs section of the Forum.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another question.

I currently have a Mesa 212 recto cab that I am considering selling to help fund a decent FRFR. Maybe the QCS K12 or JBL PRX612M. Not sure yet. After reading more and watching youtube I see people are getting great results with a cab and power amp(Matrix GT800Fx or GT1000fx). I kind of wanted to get away from lugging around the 212 but are the differences between a FRFR and cab + power amp that great?

Thoughts??
What ethomas said above.
The sound will be colored by your traditional amp + cab.
I only found the beautiness of the Axe after plugging it in to a FRFR setup.
I use the Matrix GT1000FX + CFR12 and the sound is amazing.
It cuts through the mix perfect and no heavy carrying of big speakers :)

But you have to try it yourself if you have the possibility.

Sounds like the Matrix and a passive wedge of some sort may be the way to go for me. Being able to somewhat reference exactly what is coming out at FOH would be great. I will dig around on the Amps and Cabs section.

Thanks guys!

Yep, sounds like they explained it well. Do you want it to sound like an amp, or a recording of an amp....?....

Sounds like the Matrix and a passive wedge of some sort may be the way to go for me. Being able to somewhat reference exactly what is coming out at FOH would be great. I will dig around on the Amps and Cabs section.

Thanks guys!

4 months ago I got my Axe FX II, and since then I've tried almost every set up and so far powered wedges are where my buck stops. Thanks to local music stores that rent gear, I've been able to spend time with all kinds of setups, and well...... Just waiting for my # to get a pair of powered Atomic CLR's now. I thought about getting a power-amp and passive wedges, but after trying out some powered wedges, the built in mixer and 2 channel design was my deciding factor because It just gives more options.

Really it all comes down to application and what you need. Powered wedges add to my Band, not just me.

PS... some will claim you can't get an "amp in the room" sound with FRFR, this is not true. Just takes spending the time to dial it in.

4 months ago I got my Axe FX II, and since then I've tried almost every set up and so far powered wedges are where my buck stops. Thanks to local music stores that rent gear, I've been able to spend time with all kinds of setups, and well...... Just waiting for my # to get a pair of powered Atomic CLR's now. I thought about getting a power-amp and passive wedges, but after trying out some powered wedges, the built in mixer and 2 channel design was my deciding factor because It just gives more options.

Really it all comes down to application and what you need. Powered wedges add to my Band, not just me.

PS... some will claim you can't get an "amp in the room" sound with FRFR, this is not true. Just takes spending the time to dial it in.

What did you finally settle on when you were trying different powered wedges? Before you decided to go with the CLS?

I am sure you guys have seen this. AXE FX 2 Speaker Test - YouTube But the JBLPRX612M IMO totally smoked the rest of the speakers. Even the QCS K12. I wish I could try a big variety like you Severed. Only music store when I am at is Long and McQuade. I don't think that they carry a wide selection. Especially not the JBLPRX612M. But I was very impressed with them in that video.

Maybe I will have to get myself on that Atomic CLR waiting list too. :)

I hear very good things about the CLR too. But haven't heard anything online that really blew me away about them. Maybe you have to be in the room with them to really get it.

I hear very good things about the CLR too. But haven't heard anything online that really blew me away about them. Maybe you have to be in the room with them to really get it.

It is my opinion that clips are only useful to determine whether a piece of gear *might* be a good candidate to meet you needs. Clips are totally useless to make decisions about how a given piece of gear will sound with your particular setup and playing style regardless of whether it be a guitar, amp, pedal, modeler, or speaker. There is no substitute for hands-on experience, and clips can be VERY misleading.

It is my opinion that clips are only useful to determine whether a piece of gear *might* be a good candidate to meet you needs. Clips are totally useless to make decisions about how a given piece of gear will sound with your particular setup and playing style regardless of whether it be a guitar, amp, pedal, modeler, or speaker. There is no substitute for hands-on experience, and clips can be VERY misleading.

Agree 100%. As I said in a couple post above, unfortunately I don't have the convenience to get hands on with it unless I order it first. Boo!

Back
Top Bottom