Axe fx 2 + Mesa Triaxis = bliss

Still have a Triaxis, 2:90, and a Mesa 4x12. Sounds really killer and is of course very loud, but just got tired of schlepping all of that around!

I have what must be the most under-rated tube preamp ever made sitting idle in a rack, a Peavey Rockmaster.

No MIDI, or any other fancy stuff. What it does have is the most elaborate set of EFX loops I've ever seen. Clean, Crunch, Lead, Crunch/Lead, and always on.

I'm not sure it would ever have a place in my AxeFX rack. They're not highly sought, so the resale value is negligible. Maybe one day I'll find a way to put it to use.

Do you use a cab block with the Triaxis, or just use the Axe FX purely for effects?

I am looking at doing the same but want to also output into Foh. I presume it can be done mono but how would I maintain a stereo field with the Triaxis in the loop AND have a Foh signal?

I lovemy rig : triaxis + 2:90 + axefx and i have 2 2x12 mesa and the mfc 11 connect in axe with faslink and triaxis in channel 2 on midi out of axefx2
picture of my rig 21/06/2017

view on mfc101and 2guitar with one axefx but just me on triaxis my friend keyboard use for 2 sing a block amp

Do you use a cab block with the Triaxis, or just use the Axe FX purely for effects?

I am looking at doing the same but want to also output into Foh. I presume it can be done mono but how would I maintain a stereo field with the Triaxis in the loop AND have a Foh signal?

If I'm using a Triaxis, I'll pair it with a real poweramp and cab.
The Axe-Fx's amp block can't emulate a poweramp only, so a real preamp will sound pretty stiff straight into a cab block.

The Axe-Fx's amp block can't emulate a poweramp only, so a real preamp will sound pretty stiff straight into a cab block.

Apparently there is a real way to emulate a poweramp only. Cliff explained it somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's the amp model called "tube pre" where if you leave all the settings at 12 o clock it is a null amp with only a power amp sim.

I don't use a cab block. I go to a power amp and then into a mesa 4x12. You will be able to do that just fine. Just run it in 4 cable method like normal, but on output 1 the 1/4" jacks will go to your power amp and cab and the XLR outputs will go to FOH. I'm pretty sure this will work. The only downside is you will be sending a sound with cab sims on it into your real cab (and FOH). So the sound coming from the cab may sound a little funny but it'll be fine just to get some volume on stage.

I know a lot of people here like running cab sims into the FOH, but here's my philosophy. If you're using a good sounding power amp and cab then why not just let the sound guy mic your cab like a normal amp?

as i'm in the same case of the OP (i really like the axe fx , for studio use, but live i need a simple 3 channel rig) i bought à IRT studio LANEY which is a 2 rack space amp with tube power amp included and even load box included.
sound really great, even the cab sim is great ! check this video of jack thamarrat playing it direct to board.
in 4 cm with axe fx it's a killer rig !

I know a lot of people here like running cab sims into the FOH, but here's my philosophy. If you're using a good sounding power amp and cab then why not just let the sound guy mic your cab like a normal amp?

because a lot of soundguys don't know how to mic an amp in a good way lool
(just joking , but maybe no so far for the truth..:/)

Back
Top Bottom