Axe FX 2 into Universal Audio LA610

jiggajewjay

Inspired
Has anyone tried routing the axe thru the LA610? It works great for most things- I've done it a few times but it seems to take away some if the dynamics- especially after fw11b. Any thoughts or perhaps some good settings on the LA610 that would make this a good combo? Thanks

Has anyone tried routing the axe thru the LA610? It works great for most things- I've done it a few times but it seems to take away some if the dynamics- especially after fw11b. Any thoughts or perhaps some good settings on the LA610 that would make this a good combo? Thanks

There would be little value in my experience and even undesirable effects as you have experienced. At best it would be draw. Curious, what is the need? Or what is lacking in the AXE tones that is driving the idea?

Unless you need to POST eq/pre-amp your AXE signal DURING tracking (which is 100% counter-intuitive and defeats the internal EQ(s) and gain structure(s) of the AXE) or unless you need to compress the WHOLE chain after the amp/cab/reverb etc. DURING tracking (which is also counter-intuitive, counter productive unless you have no POST processing EQ/compression) there would be no benefit. I have a 2610 and ADL600, both high-end high voltage tube pres and running the AXE through either doesn't 'warm', thicken', tube-out my tone in any measurable way...for GUITAR. I actually tried this to no end because the AXE does need an input somewhere. The AXE input is being gain staged by a pre of some kind, so I ran it through every pre I own and recorded the results. It sounds best running through the clean FF800 pre at 0 gain.

That said, I would definitely experiment with using the LA610 as a front-end or back-end to the AXE for BASS. The 610 can be a bit dark and undefined on certain basses for DId bass which actually could compliment well with the clean 'processed' sounds of the AXE bass amps (even drive sounds). The AXE is still about my 3rd or 4th choice for bass DI at this point. It sounds really nice overall, its quick for ideas as it has presets I have made but in a mix still sounds less present and dry, less upfront, a bit too sansampy than I need for my bass needs. The LA610 may help. Front End or Back End will have to be determined through trial and error. Good luck.

I use EQ's in post but not recording channels / pres like this one.

As I suspected. I was just trying to see if it would sweeten things up. Not that it needs any sweetening up - I mean this is the best modeler in the world right now. But u know how us gear junkies are;) thanks for the input!
J

There would be little value in my experience and even undesirable effects as you have experienced. At best it would be draw. Curious, what is the need? Or what is lacking in the AXE tones that is driving the idea?

Unless you need to POST eq/pre-amp your AXE signal DURING tracking (which is 100% counter-intuitive and defeats the internal EQ(s) and gain structure(s) of the AXE) or unless you need to compress the WHOLE chain after the amp/cab/reverb etc. DURING tracking (which is also counter-intuitive, counter productive unless you have no POST processing EQ/compression) there would be no benefit. I have a 2610 and ADL600, both high-end high voltage tube pres and running the AXE through either doesn't 'warm', thicken', tube-out my tone in any measurable way...for GUITAR. I actually tried this to no end because the AXE does need an input somewhere. The AXE input is being gain staged by a pre of some kind, so I ran it through every pre I own and recorded the results. It sounds best running through the clean FF800 pre at 0 gain.

That said, I would definitely experiment with using the LA610 as a front-end or back-end to the AXE for BASS. The 610 can be a bit dark and undefined on certain basses for DId bass which actually could compliment well with the clean 'processed' sounds of the AXE bass amps (even drive sounds). The AXE is still about my 3rd or 4th choice for bass DI at this point. It sounds really nice overall, its quick for ideas as it has presets I have made but in a mix still sounds less present and dry, less upfront, a bit too sansampy than I need for my bass needs. The LA610 may help. Front End or Back End will have to be determined through trial and error. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom