Axe Fx 2 Does The 80's - Relax

Thanks guys, yes I will when I have my axe near the computer next.

The tone itself sounds much heavier by itself but it's all about how it sits in the mix. When I was going with lower gain tones it sounded weak and thin. There were some very heavy tones on a lot of 80's tunes and because of the pop sensibility of the mixing you never really noticed it unless you really honed in on the tone. For example Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy, has a huge dirty tone. Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight does too but mixed very low. Sade's - No Ordinary Love has a great dirty tone and so so does the original version of Relax but it's mixed so well. To me that is the first official club track as it had that amazing four on the floor beat.

Nice work! Sounds great! It's definitely a departure from the normal sounds in this forum, but I really liked that about it!

sounds great congrats.. have you been close to your computer recently? would be great if you can share the patch ;)

Relax Patch

Here is the patch. Turn on the wah for the envelope filter effect. You have to slide down from the note for it to sound correct, the notes are E C# D.

Rock on and Relax!

Attachments

• RELAX.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Good stuff! Sounds heavier than the original - which is a good thing. LOL.

Thanks so much Scott. It's actually about the same, heaviness wise as the original so give it a listen, you'll probably agree. I just posted the patch in my post before this one so have at it. Would love to know if you guys dig it. I'm using Lace Sensor Hot Gold Dually's in humbucker mode but any bright and midrangy pickup should yield good results.

It is Frankie goes to Hollywood.

I wondered if my recollection of 80s musical history was incorrect. ;-)

A big shout out to java who originally helped me create a preset for this song on my Ultra two years ago using the synth blocks. The wah seems to have evolved on the 2 to the point that I was able to use it as an envelope filter ala dod fx25 for this performance.

Back
Top Bottom