Axe FX 2 --> Axe FX 3 Upgrader Person

I took a bit of an unplanned hiatus from playing due to a new (and honestly toxic) job situation. Still played casually every now and again, but not really practicing as I was before. My situation has upgraded and I'm now find myself plugging in to my Axe II MK2 almost daily again for the past year or so.

I took a break from gear to focus on my playing since I really got rusty. I'm now at the point where I'm considering firing up my studio and recording again. My live playing days are likely way behind me at this point.. considering my use case is bedroom jamming and recording; how much will I actually benefit from an upgrade to the III? My Mk2 still sounds amazing to me, and I have access to a lot of 'real' gear.. amps, cabs, pedals, guitars, outboard gear, etc..

Been considering the leap, but just hesitant since I've had my MK2 dialed in for quite some time now.

I took a bit of an unplanned hiatus from playing due to a new (and honestly toxic) job situation. Still played casually every now and again, but not really practicing as I was before. My situation has upgraded and I'm now find myself plugging in to my Axe II MK2 almost daily again for the past year or so.

I took a break from gear to focus on my playing since I really got rusty. I'm now at the point where I'm considering firing up my studio and recording again. My live playing days are likely way behind me at this point.. considering my use case is bedroom jamming and recording; how much will I actually benefit from an upgrade to the III? My Mk2 still sounds amazing to me, and I have access to a lot of 'real' gear.. amps, cabs, pedals, guitars, outboard gear, etc..

Been considering the leap, but just hesitant since I've had my MK2 dialed in for quite some time now.
My opinion (which is slanted because I love to buy new gear) would be that jumping to the Axe III would increase your likelihood to get back into recording. It's very inspiring.
After playing the Axe III for a while, I went back to my AX8 (which is same Ares modelling as in the Axe 2) and I was underwhelmed by the AX8.
I could never go back. I predict you would not either.

Last edited:
And then when the Axe 4 comes out, you'll all be saying how shitty the Axe 3 sounds! LMAO.
I haven't seen a single person on this forum say that the Axe Fx 2, or even Ultra sound 'shitty'. None of them do.

Just by comparison the newer iterations sound more authentic which many people describe as 'better'.

My Axe Fx2 still sounds phenomenal, and I can set it up to be indistinguishable from any amp in my collection.

I resisted moving to the 3 for a long time. I wasn't maxing out CPU on the 2 and wasn't unhappy with the tones I was getting, so I figured that I wouldn't get anything more than what I already had. Plus, the 3 was on waitlist so it was sort of an academic exercise anyway.

What ultimately pushed me to the 3 was that I would see videos of people doing things on the 3 and I just could not figure out how to do them on the 2. Something like a Tri-Stereo Chorus. On the 2, you could maybe if you really knew what you were doing, simulate this. But I'm not that smart. On the 3 this is just an included effect. That's just one example.

As soon as the 3 came off waitlist I put my 2 up for sale and bought one. So happy that I did. Such an inspiring tool to use and quickly get to great sounds. Also if this matters to you, there is tons of creator content on the 3 to further inspire you and really very little any longer on the 2.

I haven't seen a single person on this forum say that the Axe Fx 2, or even Ultra sound 'shitty'. None of them do.

Just by comparison the newer iterations sound more authentic which many people describe as 'better'.

My Axe Fx2 still sounds phenomenal, and I can set it up to be indistinguishable from any amp in my collection.

Even the first Axe-FX Standard didn't sound shitty at all. It surpassed not only all the modelers available at that time, but also the FX processors. When I got it I sold all my rack gear and all pedals, including Eventide Eclipse, Eventide H3000, Egnater M4, JMP-1, Triaxis, GX-700, GT-Pro...

...and the bloody RadTone Harmonic Converger 😅😂😂😅

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom