axe fx 2 as an interface live on stage with ableton?

does anyone know how safe it is with axe as an interfaxe to go on stage and use ableton, and ofcourse in the mean time also to play guitar through axe and switch scenes, presets...
Yes, I use the AxeFxII as the audio interface for a laptop. The laptop (an old Macbook) is plugged in by a USB cable. I run the looper Mobius on the laptop but could just as well run Live... so I guess it is "safe". The AxeFx is mostly following MIDI Clock sync, for tempo, from the laptop but I do keep a MIDI pedal for direct Tap Tempo in the AxeFx when there is no master tempo clock to follow. I'm very pleased with this setup, it works like a dream.

Simeon; for your Genesis trib, do you use Ableton also as a mixer for the band? I'm trying to cut down on gear. My M-Audio 2626 and MacBook have always been totally reliable (using Logic as the live mixing desk). Ableton is going to be easier, simpler plus we're going to use recorded loops, and I like the look of the Pok wireless midi foot controller. If it's got enough effects for my pub pa FOH, and won't get too latent for monitors (or IEMs), then it would make sense IMO to use it...?

Simeon; for your Genesis trib, do you use Ableton also as a mixer for the band?

no. it's just there for backing track playback. each backing track (like the electronic drums on Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, or the drum loop on Mama) is loaded into the set as a one shot clip. each clip has an associated 1 bar click loop which the drummer can hear through his headphones. i trigger the clips from an akai nanokontrol.

it would be far too complicated and clumsy to use the laptop as a mixer for the whole band as well

Thanks Simeon. I'm thinking of triggering Ableton loops (plus some live looping) using a Pok (handsfree). Does Ableton 9 now do layering, and would it be feasible to have it trigger pre-recorded and live loops?

Yep - sounds like a small desk with some digital FX is going to have to be purchased...

yes, you could load the pre-recorded loops as clips and trigger them vis midi

you could also use the ableton looper to record, loop and layer on top of those

it would probably take you a few days to design, build and test the layout, but it would work.

the main thing to consider is tempo. you can set the master tempo by launching clips via the master strip on the right. (enter the tempo into the row name). the loopers used will then sync to any clips used

Thanks.

My keyboard player uses a Novation, which is Ableton-friendly. I take it that my Axe2 and his Novation could also be linked to Ableton's time code?

I also understand that Ableton can allow you to set the overall tempo (4 clicks). Is that a problem, or is it better to run a click track?

Thanks.

My keyboard player uses a Novation, which is Ableton-friendly. I take it that my Axe2 and his Novation could also be linked to Ableton's time code?

I also understand that Ableton can allow you to set the overall tempo (4 clicks). Is that a problem, or is it better to run a click track?

yes, as long as everything is connected properly and the preferences are set correctly, everything would get midi clock and be synced

there are many ways to set the tempo...which one you choose will depend on your workflow

no. it's just there for backing track playback. each backing track (like the electronic drums on Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, or the drum loop on Mama) is loaded into the set as a one shot clip. each clip has an associated 1 bar click loop which the drummer can hear through his headphones. i trigger the clips from an akai nanokontrol.

it would be far too complicated and clumsy to use the laptop as a mixer for the whole band as well

Can someone give specific details on how you would set up your axe fx into ableton using its looping functions as an effect and also having it send out backing track and a also a click to a drummer?

I'm not sure if I follow you. I assume you are recording your whole band live…correct? If so, a muti-channel interface is absolutely necessary in order to assign each input (instrument) to a specific track. You have a choice as to what signal format you want to send your AxeFX channel(s) into that interface. You can go in as stereo audio, (using balanced or unbalanced), or S/PDIF, digital. But again…you need a muti-channel interface. There are many on the market and the more channels, the higher the cost (and capability) Some will even do digital format conversions. I use a MOTU 828 with ProTools. If you are recording ONLY your guitar, fine! No problem. You can go directly (USB) into your computer from the AxeFX.
The bottom line is; The AxeFX is a digital Guitar processor with A/D-D/A signal conversion FIRST. As a secondary, utility function, it can be used as an "interface" for a lot of things such as playing MP3 music from your computer into a home stereo system, but when it come to simultaneous multitrack recording, it's just another signal source.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I follow you. I assume you are recording your whole band live…correct? If so, a muti-channel interface is absolutely necessary in order to assign each input (instrument) to a specific track. You have a choice as to what signal format you want to send your AxeFX channel(s) into that interface. You can go in as stereo audio, (using balanced or unbalanced), or S/PDIF, digital. But again…you need a muti-channel interface. There are many on the market and the more channels, the higher the cost (and capability) Some will even do digital format conversions. I use a MOTU 828 with ProTools. If you are recording ONLY your guitar, fine! No problem.
The bottom line is; The AxeFX is a digital Guitar processor with D/A audio outputs FIRST. It can be used as an "interface" for a lot of things such as playing MP3 music from your computer into a home stereo system, but when it come to simultaneous multitrack recording, it's just another signal source.

No not quite what i meant, i was reffering to playing with a live drummer and bass player but also having a backing track(.wav file) playing from ableton while also using its looping features on the guitar only

I'm not sure if I follow you. I assume you are recording your whole band live…correct? If so, a muti-channel interface is absolutely necessary in order to assign each input (instrument) to a specific track. You have a choice as to what signal format you want to send your AxeFX channel(s) into that interface. You can go in as stereo audio, (using balanced or unbalanced), or S/PDIF, digital. But again…you need a muti-channel interface. There are many on the market and the more channels, the higher the cost (and capability) Some will even do digital format conversions. I use a MOTU 828 with ProTools. If you are recording ONLY your guitar, fine! No problem.
The bottom line is; The AxeFX is a digital Guitar processor with D/A audio outputs FIRST. It can be used as an "interface" for a lot of things such as playing MP3 music from your computer into a home stereo system, but when it come to simultaneous multitrack recording, it's just another signal source.

No not quite what i meant, i was reffering to playing with a live drummer and bass player but also having a backing track(.wav file) playing from ableton while also using its looping features on the guitar only

In that case, it will work perfectly fine.

Here we go again…I am assuming you are using Ableton for playback ONLY…correct? If so, simply connect a USB cable from your Mac, or PC to the AxeFX. In the Ableton and Mac preferences, make sure the AxeFX is recognized and selected as the playback device. The AxeFX will automatically mix the 2 signals and output them to the port of your choice.(out 1) You will need to adjust the balance of the two, by tweaking within Ableton. First get your LIVE playing level for your guitar set. Then start with the Ableton volume controls set very low and bring it up to a desired level, being cautious not to overdrive the input of the AxeFX.

Added: (In the Mac) Navigate; APPLICATIONS>UTILITIES>Audio/MIDI Setup Select the AxeFX as the OUTPUT device and set the Format to 48000.0Hz, 24bit-2 channel
I am not familiar with Ableton, but the preferences for most DAW's are very similar…Do the same in the Ableton.

Last edited:
YOu still have to trigger Ableton. Some do this using their MFC101. My experience is that it's too complicated, so I use a McMillan 12 Step.

I should also add that i am using Axe FX Ultra.
I think im following what you're saying though, and i will need an interface with more than just 1 in 1 out..
I am wanting to send abletons tracks through the FOH and just use the looper to go back to the axe fx..

I should also add that i am using Axe FX Ultra.
I think im following what you're saying though, and i will need an interface with more than just 1 in 1 out..
I am wanting to send abletons tracks through the FOH and just use the looper to go back to the axe fx..

The fact that you have an Ultra negates everything I've suggested.
Now you're looking at a completely independent system.
Question: Why use Ableton at all? Convert the .wav files to whatever Ableton can give you (MP3,4?) and put the backing tracks on a CD. Select them from an ordinary player.(right there on stage) The headphone out could go direct FOH through a LINE IN.

Last edited:
I agree. I thought you were trying to use Ableton looper for guitar - or something equally suitable to this forum.

I agree. I thought you were trying to use Ableton looper for guitar - or something equally suitable to this forum.

yes im trying to achieve both these things from ableton, looping guitar and playing backing tracks aswell as sending the click to a drummer..

Back
Top Bottom