Axe fx 2 and wireless units front vs rear input

beauburchell

ive been using a line 6 g90 wireless unit 1/4" cable out the back of the unit (instrument level) into the front instrument input of the axe fx. I've been using the front input because of the secret sauce low noise input where as the rear input doesn't utilize that technology.
Only bummer is the cable has to be patched and unpatched every night.

Has anyone experimented with using the line level output of their wireless to the rear line level input of the axe fx?
If so, what was the noise like in a extreme high gain setting?

I plan on experimenting with this when I get home, but I'm out for a few more days.

B

Interested to know. Ive used the same set up as you for several years and never experimented. That said, I dont have to re-patch my cable every night as it feeds through nicely between rack units.

Using wireless, I don't hear any difference between front and rear inputs. Even if there were, it wouldn't matter because you can set the input noise gate to intelligent and forget about it.

There is a slight difference in my testing, not enough for me to keep running it to the front. I think it's more evident when using a cable and different guitars with different pickups etc. Do a search for "Special Sauce", been discussed a lot.

There is a slight difference in my testing, not enough for me to keep running it to the front. I think it's more evident when using a cable and different guitars with different pickups etc. Do a search for "Special Sauce", been discussed a lot.

Just did. Seems like it's been discussed already. Oops.

Thanks again

B

ive been using a line 6 g90 wireless unit 1/4" cable out the back of the unit (instrument level) into the front instrument input of the axe fx. I've been using the front input because of the secret sauce low noise input where as the rear input doesn't utilize that technology.
Only bummer is the cable has to be patched and unpatched every night.

Has anyone experimented with using the line level output of their wireless to the rear line level input of the axe fx?
If so, what was the noise like in a extreme high gain setting?

I plan on experimenting with this when I get home, but I'm out for a few more days.

B
I have the same setup. What I did was drill a little hole in the top right corner of the rack's face and put the cable out so it can plug in the front of the Axe-Fx. I have an SKB which has a border all the way around so I don't know if this is possible on whatever model you are using. I loosely zip tied it to the right handle thing on the Fractal so I can unplug it at home and use a regular cable. It's did this about 2 years ago and it still works great. I can UL a pic if you are curious.

when I had my g90 I used a custom balanced cable that was xlt to 1/4 and I used the g90 xlr out to rear input. I had no issues. My buddy had a g90 that he wanted to feed to the front input. He used a right able cable and cut as small space into the rack rails so he could feed the cable through. He left it permanently plugged in

I spent 1/2 - 1hour switching back and forth between the front and rear input (G90 and axe-ii), as well as a guitar cable. While there was a slight difference in tone, I finally decided that the difference wouldn't be audible with the full band playing. I know simply run the G90 into the rear input. Being paranoid I leave a cable plugged into the front in case anything goes wonky, which it thankfully never has.

A wireless unit will act as a buffer, and putting a buffered signal into the front input will cancel out the 'secret sauce'. The front input needs to 'see' the guitar pickup directly. So, if you are using a wireless unit, then you may as well use the rear input.

I spent 1/2 - 1hour switching back and forth between the front and rear input (G90 and axe-ii), as well as a guitar cable. While there was a slight difference in tone, I finally decided that the difference wouldn't be audible with the full band playing. I know simply run the G90 into the rear input. Being paranoid I leave a cable plugged into the front in case anything goes wonky, which it thankfully never has.

Is there a way to assign a button on the mfc to be an input switcher? That way you could leave both inputs plugged in and it would make that emergency switch a little quicker without having to go into the axe menu. Depending on where the axe fx lives in your stage plot.

Is there a way to assign a button on the mfc to be an input switcher? That way you could leave both inputs plugged in and it would make that emergency switch a little quicker without having to go into the axe menu. Depending on where the axe fx lives in your stage plot.
No there isn't but you select what input you use in the i/o menu of ii front panel so you can leave a cable plugged into front of ii and it won't be in the signal path until you change input to front in i/o menu

I have a blank rack panel under my axe, so I put a couple of 1/4th passtthru jacks on that panel and created a patch bay of sorts. My wireless goes to one and I have a cord into another, then use a short 6" cable with right able jacks to go into the axe and patch the inputs. This way just the passtthru jacks get any wear, not the axe input since it's always patches. I just swap the 6" patch cable to go from wireless to cabled

I just ran a George L cable through one of the rack screw holes attached 90 degree end and plugged in front of Axefx. That way I can unplug anytime and plug in a regular cord if wireless acts up or signal is bad.

A wireless unit will act as a buffer, and putting a buffered signal into the front input will cancel out the 'secret sauce'. The front input needs to 'see' the guitar pickup directly. So, if you are using a wireless unit, then you may as well use the rear input.
^ +1

Wireless output is buffered. This negates the low-noise benefit of the front input.
Source: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Input_impedance

So with a wireless, it shouldn't matter if the front or rear input is used. Just use whichever is most convenient.

I like having access to the front input... just in case my wireless crap out on me i just plug in a cable and go.
I use a G55 into the rear (Input1 right), and cable into the front (Input1 left). Then I sum L and R. This means that I can choose between wireless and cable without any switching.

There is a slight difference between front and rear inputs, but it's far less than the difference between wireless and cable.

I use a G55 into the rear (Input1 right), and cable into the front (Input1 left). Then I sum L and R. This means that I can choose between wireless and cable without any switching.

There is a slight difference between front and rear inputs, but it's far less than the difference between wireless and cable.
Not a bad idea!

I'd love to see a quick writeup on how to go about this. I use wireless in some situations, and cable in others. The prospect of not having to alter anything, just plug and go, appeals to me a lot.

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that, as I run the G90 and would like the option of swapping without having to change anything in my settings.

Back
Top Bottom