Axe fx 2 amps sims review

dupere11497

Experienced
I had mine for 3 days now! So far, I've played it only through my Rocktron velocity power amp and Atomic passive cab ( Poweramp sim on ). The G2 modeling is really a big step foward. As soon as I started to play the first time, I notice the feel and dynamics was much improve. Everything is more tight. The bass is big, yet not muddy at all. The highs are crisp, but smooth and silky. I play a lot of different styles, but mostly 80's shredding. So I've spend some times exploring the high gain models, here is a quick review on some of them!

- Brit 800: Sounds a lot better than before. As you raise the Master, poweramp distortion increase, without adding mudiness as it use to be. What I like on all models in Axe 2, puting the Master at around 3-4 usually gets you in the ball park, it's easier to find the sweetspot. You only crank it for non Master volume models.

- Brit 800 Mod: Ah...Jose Arredondo mods! Sounds like the Brit 800 with more gain, not too much, kind of smooths out everything from mids to highs, what can I say..back to the 80's galm rock era!!

- Conford MkII: A big surprise here! I didn't like the 100 watt version of the Ultra. This one sounds nowhere near his big brother. Much more gain under the hood, more pleasing mids and highs, sustain for days, great for liquid leads, one of my favorite!!

- PVH 6160: Another huge surprise I would say! While you sure can play tight metal rythm tone with this one, it truly sing for leads. Everything is perfect, from mids, bass treble to presence, it feels so great. And the gain is simply monstruous, but you can back it down for early Eddie, but pass noon, there's no way you'll ever need a boost pedal in front of it. Definitly one of my favorite here!!

- Cameron CCV: Prior to try this one, I've listen to samples of the real thing on youtube and I thought it sounds awesome. Well, no deception here, Cliffs version is amazing, both the med and high channels. Sounds like a plexi on steroids. You get the plexi feel with all the gain you'd wish it had without having to put boost pedals in front of it. Great british flavor, with a touch of American tightness. I really like that one!

-Friedman BE and HBE: Those were my favorite on the Ultra. Well, what can I say, they truly rock in the Axe 2 as well!! But even better with the G2 technology and the new cabs, which sounds awesome by the way!! Larry Mitchell likes them with the Master crancked! I prefer to leave it at around 3-4 to make it tighter, if I want more gain, I activate the amp boost. Again, great hotrod Marshalls tone!!

- Solo 100 ld: The mighty Soldano SLO-100 lead channel!! Lots of gain with that great midrange it is renown for. I would've like the X99 lead channel to be here as well, but Cliff've keep the clean channel only.

- Das metal: Another big surprise here! Obviously, this one was totaly redone. Now, it sounds like a VH4. I thought the first version had a ridiculous amount of gain, sounded loke a bee invasion the gain pass 3... not anymore, there's still a good amount of gain, but everything stays clean and clear, like it should be, and the tone is really remicent of a Diezel amp. Good job Cliff!!

- Fas leads and Modern: Cliff redone those too, they sound completly different from Ultra. Lead one emphasis on midrange, while lead 2 has more highs, more American style of tone. Modern is still a recto kind of tone. The bass is huge, yet tight and not muddy at all, G2 is truly amazing, but I've told you that already. Those 3 are all usable and fun to play!!

-Euro Blue/Red: I've always been a big Bogner fan. And I was a bit dissapointed by those two models in the Ultra. I thought the Blue channel had like no gain at all, unless you cranked everything at the point it was now muddy as hell, and breakup sound sucked, I use to hate that one...not anymore!! Now, it sounds AWESOME. Great midrange punch, clear highs, great bass respond, and more gain. You can now play smooth leads line with plenty of sustain with the blue channel. And the red channel starts where the blue ends. Same tone, more gain, like it should me!! Pairing this one with the RW Uber 75-V30, and you get that 4000$ Exctasy special tone!! I'm very very please with that one. Thanks again Cliff!!

- Energyball: Another one I was not please with with the Ultra. I thought there was not enough gain compare to the original, a lot of you complaint about this too. Well, M.Chase listen and did his homeworks!! Way more gain now, but not too much, just enough!! The Bass is fu!"/$ tight as hell!! Great highs, a great update, new metal kids out there are gonna love this one!!

- Usa leads: Not much different than Ultra, but the G2 modeling improve the feel, a great thing for playing a MK4 for those of you who've played the real thing once!!

- Rectos: The red ones are way better than the Ultra. But beware, no presence control on this one, but a high cut control. If it sets clock like, it's way too dark, bring it clockwise, and there you go for great highs. Great bottom, tightness associated with rectos. Can be great for leads too, not my cup of tea, but I know it's a popular one. Greatly improve for sure.

Well, that's about it!! Hope you like it!! Feel free to ask questions about those models, or other I didn't mention, I've tried them all so far!!

Thanks I guess.. as if I needed anymore GAS.. ;) But seriously, good to hear about the high gainers especially!

Thanks for the review!
Do the CCV have that percusive sound?
Oh yes it does, especially if you engage the treble boost, but back it off a bit then! Like I said, it's a plexi with a lot of gain, so get the best of both world! The percussive sound and highs of the plexi, with the gain and mid cut of a modern high gain amp!!

Oh yes it does, especially if you engage the treble boost, but back it off a bit then! Like I said, it's a plexi with a lot of gain, so get the best of both world! The percussive sound and highs of the plexi, with the gain and mid cut of a modern high gain amp!!

Thanks! I want it now!!!! please give us some clips...

Thanks for the review! I keep reading because I need to pass the time, but it is making the waiting that much harder.

>> But beware, no presence control on this one, but a high cut control. If it sets clock like, it's way too dark, bring it clockwise, and there you go for great highs.

On models that have no Presence (in real life), Presence turns into Hi-Cut.
Cliff already mentioned to keep an eye on this when changing amp types.

But does this mean that - on non-Presence models - the control must be maxed to disable Hi-Cut and keep the amp sim neutral?

>> But beware, no presence control on this one, but a high cut control. If it sets clock like, it's way too dark, bring it clockwise, and there you go for great highs.

On models that have no Presence (in real life), Presence turns into Hi-Cut.
Cliff already mentioned to keep an eye on this when changing amp types.

But does this mean that - on non-Presence models - the control must be maxed to disable Hi-Cut and keep the amp sim neutral?
Not sure about this! Turn full right, the amp is way too dark, almost like a 40 db filter cut!! I find it sounds best and natural fully left, I assume it bypass the filter, sort off!!

- Das metal: Another big surprise here! Obviously, this one was totaly redone. Now, it sounds like a VH4. I thought the first version had a ridiculous amount of gain, sounded loke a bee invasion the gain pass 3... not anymore, there's still a good amount of gain, but everything stays clean and clear, like it should be, and the tone is really remicent of a Diezel amp. Good job Cliff!!

Well, that's about it!! Hope you like it!! Feel free to ask questions about those models, or other I didn't mention, I've tried them all so far!!

Thank you very much!
some questions regarding "das metal":
so far I combined a Ultra with a VH4 - I tried copying the 3rd channel - running the Ultra into the VH4 poweramp. After 1 h tweaking I was surprised hom near I could get but found that the Ultra always did generate more hiss and noise than the real VH4 preamp. Do u have made the same experiences?
Is there an advancement on the axe-II regarding noise on this particular model? And: what channel of the VH4 is "das metal" designed after: 3rd or 4th (which has a little less mids in my opinion), any idea?

thank you again for your review on that one!!!

Back
Top Bottom