Axe FX 10.0 Marsha Vs. the real deal poll ! by Pete Thorn

Re: Axe FX 10.0 Marsha Vs. the real deal poll ! by Pete Thor

I'll buy any of the two, both sound amazing.

I never mind which one is the Axe, the great fact of this comparation is that you could easily make one of them sound like the other with a little eq

I love how they're applying these big words to a difference that's so small you can only hear it through a microscope. The "way"s and "much"es are flying all around. Both ways, BTW.

I think #2 is only a hair nicer than #1.

Dutch said:
I love how they're applying these big words to a difference that's so small you can only hear it through a microscope. The "way"s and "much"es are flying all around. Both ways, BTW.
Best one I've heard so far is "there's a harmonic overlay in the upper midrange" -- that one was just hilariously awesome.

As always, some people think differences are microscopic, some other huge.
I don't think they are microscopic at all, I can easily hear the two sounds are different, but for sure pretty close.

For the experiment to be perfect it should be re-amped, the hand plays a big factor.

For me both sounds are really good. I've done comparisons like this with two real amps (same model) and they had differences between them, even more than this. Probably with some tweaking you can take one much closer to the other, but I don't think that's the point of the experiment.

So for me it doesn't really matter. They are different but similar enough, and both sound cool.

hi guys, I would think that I have educated ears, but I could never tell which one is which. If you'd play both samples with 2 minutes pause in between or the same one again, noone could ever tell if they heard the same sample or 2 different samples. My conclusion of this thread: it is proven that the axe does sound 99% natural and identical to the real amp. what I am afraid of: that music equipment stores will soon have serious problems because noone will buy real amps anymore! ;-)

In the Rig Talk topic some user says:

To me it was evident immediately, in fact no comparison. The difference to me was night and day, I wonder if my ears are that good or you're all just deaf. I own an AxeFx so I'm praying I'm wrong because to me the first part of the clip stomps a mudhole on the second part (my opinion) but the first is definitely the real amp and the second clip is the Axe Fx..I want to be wrong and see if my ears are that good but the first one murders the second part of the clip.

And here the response from Pete:
K rig talkers

1 is axe fx
2 is Marsha.

There u go!

Discuss!

LOL ! Actually it doesn't matter what is the real thing and what's the virtual. The amazing fact is that maybe for the first time in the guitar history a digital artifact can compete against analog top-end artifacts and fool even those "I've got the best pairs of ears in the world" guys.

I LOVE this artifact !!!

In the second one the notes seem to ring better (together) when he hits the chords. Looks as if the guitar was tuned better, I don't know

Impressive! :)

charles5150 said:
LOL ! Actually it doesn't matter what is the real thing and what's the virtual. The amazing fact is that maybe for the first time in the guitar history a digital artifact can compete against analog top-end artifacts and fool even those "I've got the best pairs of ears in the world" guys.

I LOVE this artifact !!!

This weekend I met one of those people that said they can hear "digital" from a mile away cause their eras are so good!
I made him a bet
I played him a sample CD i made from a bunch of recordings from this forum and the audio from a couple of nice youtube videos. All direct recordings of the Axe-FX and also there were a couple of recordings of real valve amps.
I told him, if he's able to tell me what's real and what's digital, then he can have my Axe-FX

He didn't win my Axe-FX :lol:

But he NEVER admitted that the Axe-FX does sound like a valve amp hahaha

Funny enough, there's one recording that a guy switches over all the time between valve and the Axe-FX, and about 1 and a half minutes into the track the guy asked me: "Did he switch already?"
:lol: :lol:
He wasn't pleased when I told him, the guy had already switched about 5 times :cool:

Same with this recording. Both sound really great!
I'm no expert or anything. I can hear some differences between the 2, but it only sounds like some EQ differences to my ears.
I can't hear what's digital and what's not :D

charles5150 said:
And here the response from Pete:
K rig talkers

1 is axe fx
2 is Marsha.

There u go!

Discuss!

I thought Axefx was the first, because it has less back noise. Soundwise, they are very similar, very good. :)

Smilzo said:
I thought Axefx was the first, because it has less back noise. Soundwise, they are very similar, very good. :)

Ultimately that's what gave it all away. The Axe clip was actually winning the pole until someone @ TGP figured out exactly what you hear as well. When he announced it then all of the sudden everyone started voting for # 2 ....

Kinda intersting that it was something that had nothing to do with the actual "tone" that gave it away !

Things that make you go ..., Hmmmmmmmm ?

But I get a huge kick out of the 'number 1' is 'hairier, ruder' etc.. so it must be the amp' and now you see the backfill, backpedaling away from all the stuff from the 'digital harshness' and other blather you read about all the time as a knock.

I get the biggest smile sometimes. :D

Scott Peterson said:
But I get a huge kick out of the 'number 1' is 'hairier, ruder' etc.. so it must be the amp' and now you see the backfill, backpedaling away from all the stuff from the 'digital harshness' and other blather you read about all the time as a knock.

I get the biggest smile sometimes. :D

I think that because they don't have the amazing ears that they are pretending to have, when they are asked about the comparation they hear an inner voice into their minds telling "choose the one that sounds the best, that's the real amp for sure".

LOL, it's not only they can't distinguish one from the other, it's the Axe even sounds better to their ears, has less noise and can carry in your arms...... big, big smile :mrgreen:

christopherzberlin said:
hi guys, I would think that I have educated ears, but I could never tell which one is which. If you'd play both samples with 2 minutes pause in between or the same one again, noone could ever tell if they heard the same sample or 2 different samples. My conclusion of this thread: it is proven that the axe does sound 99% natural and identical to the real amp. what I am afraid of: that music equipment stores will soon have serious problems because noone will buy real amps anymore! ;-)

That is a good point about a pause in between. I picked 2 (barely) just because I happened to like what ever differences there were a bit more. Those differences were based of the first clip. If I had listened to each with a 30 second delay, my frame of reference would have been different and I would have had a much more difficult time perceiving the differences.

If a full band mix was added, I doubt I would have been able to tell at all.

Scott Peterson said:
But I get a huge kick out of the 'number 1' is 'hairier, ruder' etc.. so it must be the amp' and now you see the backfill,
I slightly preferred #1 and said so well in advance of the revelation of which was which. I later relistened - still before the revelation - and guessed that #1 was the amp.

As with some earlier comparisons, my preference - albeit a slight one this time - was for the sound of the Axe-Fx. I'm fine with that. :cool:

R.D. said:
The Axe clip was actually winning the pole until someone @ TGP figured out exactly what you hear as well. When he announced it then all of the sudden everyone started voting for # 2 ....

Kinda intersting that it was something that had nothing to do with the actual "tone" that gave it away !

... we should ask Cliff "hum" & "hiss" parameters. We could put them on 10, start a poll, point out that "the first clip is noisy, it must be the real deal, it is clearly better"! ;)

Besides joking, it could be interesting to know what we think about noise... maybe our music memory link noise with good records, or playing, so we think noiser is better. A little bit of mains cycle modulate our signal, that is distorted. It is a little effect, but most of us guitar maniac could heard and enjoy it, some don't (Radley last revelation...).

Scott... I think digital harshness is useful when you don't know how to properly describe a sound. ;)

I preferred clip 2 since that thread was still on page 1. Something in the top end of number one didnt sound pleasant to my ears. Chords also sounded thicker and more defined in clip 2. That said i think they could be made to sound much closer with some graphic eqing.

I would've voted/posted there but im not a member of TGP

all in all it looks like that thread was a huge success for the axe! :cool:

K rig talkers

1 is axe fx
2 is Marsha.

There u go!

Discuss!

I dunno if it's just that I've got good studio monitors but I can tell the difference and I said it before.

Clark Kent said:
I sure hope the second clip is the Axe-Fx since the first one was a bit too harsh sounding... I mean the presence sounds a bit fake so my guess would be that the first clip is Axe-Fx. Still this wouldn't matter in a mix situation since they are so close.

Now I want the presence fizz fakeness to go away. :(

Back
Top Bottom