Axe FX 10.0 Marsha Vs. the real deal poll ! by Pete Thorn

Re: Axe FX 10.0 Marsha Vs. the real deal poll ! by Pete Thor

which is which!!

It sounds like the first clip is the real deal, i will be blown away away if it is the Axe :eek:

Paul

wow.

I like the 1st one better.

FWIW, here are the two parts as an analyser sees them, and the needed EQ curve to get from one to the other.
I messed up on the B to A graph, tho. the window was still set to 18dB range as opposed to 6dB range in the first one. :oops:

Marsha-vs-Axe-A-web.jpg

Marsha-vs-Axe-B-web.jpg

#1 to #2
Marsha-vs-Axe-A-to-B-web.jpg

#2 to #1
Marsha-vs-Axe-B-to-A-web.jpg

That was a great comparison, AxeFx is giving headaches to many, well done Pete. :mrgreen:

@ Don ...,

Hey ..., did you post this over @ TGP and / or Rig-Talk ... ? I think some of the guys over there would like to see it !

It's very cool ! Definitely confirms what my 50 year old ears hear ( or don't hear in this case ). I can't tell the difference ..., at least not enough difference to hazzard a guess as to which is which.

This morning I looped the clip in my .mp3 player and let it go. After about 3 min I lost track of where the clip started and ended ....

I still haven't decided if I even have a preference or not ....

Also, check out Scott Peterson's Shiva demo ( if you haven't already ). It's on par with this one too !

#1 is a tad less buzzy in the top.. Like that one. I have no idea which is which though. With 10 sec between i could not hear the difference.

I sure hope the second clip is the Axe-Fx since the first one was a bit too harsh sounding... I mean the presence sounds a bit fake so my guess would be that the first clip is Axe-Fx. Still this wouldn't matter in a mix situation since they are so close.

I just couldn't tell. I voted for 2 just to get off the fence, but they both sound great.

You could attach any number of qualifiers to the actual tone, but they are too close to really tell.

That says everything.

Everything.

I didn't vote there, because it doesn't matter. That again, IMHO, says everything.

It doesn't matter.

You can hear a (tiny) difference between the two. Don't know if he actually re-amped or not. If not, it's simply down to playing it twice.
Didn't vote either. To me it doesn't matter which one was which since you could make one brighter to sound like the other or the other way around. If anyone still says they can definitely tell which one's which (tube vs. digital) they're probably lying and were lucky to get it right...

DonPetersen said:
wow.

I like the 1st one better.

FWIW, here are the two parts as an analyser sees them, and the needed EQ curve to get from one to the other.
I messed up on the B to A graph, tho. the window was still set to 18dB range as opposed to 6dB range in the first one. :oops:

Marsha-vs-Axe-A-web.jpg

Marsha-vs-Axe-B-web.jpg

#1 to #2
Marsha-vs-Axe-A-to-B-web.jpg

#2 to #1
Marsha-vs-Axe-B-to-A-web.jpg

Don, which analyzer are you using there? Very cool!

tandjent said:

Roger Nichols Frequalizer, I think they stopped development and distribution... :(

VegaBaby said:
You can hear a (tiny) difference between the two. Don't know if he actually re-amped or not. If not, it's simply down to playing it twice.
Didn't vote either. To me it doesn't matter which one was which since you could make one brighter to sound like the other or the other way around. If anyone still says they can definitely tell which one's which (tube vs. digital) they're probably lying and were lucky to get it right...

I didn't ask Pete, but I'm guessing he just played it twice .... After all, he's defnintely no slouch at recording and given everything else he needed to get set up, it was probably easier and quicker than re-amping. But that said, it would be interesting to know ....

Also, I loved your comment that I bolded in red ! I couldn't agree more !

i cant believe im living in a <day and age> that were chosing between a tube amp and a digital processor /// and we cant tell for the most part, the difference . thank you cliff and tom for your vision and dedication to making this possible. holy grail 1 // marsha 2 ??? nice job pete t and dave f M

DonPetersen said:
tandjent said:

Roger Nichols Frequalizer, I think they stopped development and distribution... :(

HarBal might also be a good choice for this.

Matman said:
DonPetersen said:
tandjent said:

HarBal might also be a good choice for this.

you're right, good call.

how could I forget? this is sooo much easier with the HB
facepalm.gif

marsha-12-HB-web-2.jpg

I think the first one sounds nicer* - has a nicer midrange & more definite attack on the 2nd part of the phrase.

But yes - very close, can't call it - can't wait to find out!

In a way I'd be disappointed if the 1st clip were the real one....

*1st clip seems also a fraction louder - and that's always better right :)

Back
Top Bottom