Axe FW's longevity?

Billbill

Power User
Id consider myself somewhat of a tech guy and I know that FW's get to a point, like most things anyway nowadays, to where they just don't frikkin work anymore. FAS is obviously way above any other company when it comes to a solid product in and out i.e. customer satisfaction so I know the FW's will last longer than the Crapple stuff that's loaded in an iPhone haha or just FW in general. I was thinking about using a second axe to hit up the archives and check out some older FW's just for s***s & giggles and use it to audition new FW as well. Anyone out there running some pretty old FW with great results still?

Id consider myself somewhat of a tech guy and I know that FW's get to a point, like most things anyway nowadays, to where they just don't frikkin work anymore.
I'm not sure why you'd think this is the case, but it really isn't. You don't need to reload firmware or anything like that periodically. Once loaded, always the same. It's not an x86 circa Windows '95 era.

Possibly I'm misunderstanding your sentiments though.

Axe FX firware will last pretty much forever. That is, as long as the hardware works.
It's not like a phone, where people keep the OS, but stuff it with constant addons and updates.. It's like a gameboy.

another thing to add...
in going back trying out older fw versions, you'll notice two things:
- stuff will go missing [less amps mostly.. go back far enough and some features like scenes and scene controllers will go missing]
- the modelling changes.. the modelling has always been excellent.. but with time the FAS folks have found ways to make improvements [mostly with each successive release].. the tone in some fw versions can change a fair bit.. in others it's less about the tone and more about the feel..

iaresee is right too... this is not an MS Windows device that will gradually destroy itself
in all honesty.. I've never known any instrument or fx unit to destroy itself the way the a PC does..
not even my ancient Roland GP-16 [late 80's unit].. it still works fine

my personal advice...
go latest and greatest.. this is where you'll be getting everything that is available features / amps wise..
and also everything in terms of the best available from the FAS modelling evolution

Firmware by nature does not stop working. It is tied to the hardware for which it's written. That's why it's called firmware (between hard and soft). As long as the hardware itself doesn't change or malfunction, the firmware should always work if reloaded. What can stop working is any software that works in conjunction with the older firmware. Depending on the version you load, you will likely need to also go back to an earlier version of Axe Edit that can support that FW version. If you look in the release notes for Axe Edit, it will specify the minimum FW supported by that version.

Also, any presets saved under a newer firmware version will also not load in the older versions. That is why it is so critical to back up your presets before you update your Axe II. Unless you have presets backed up that are from the chosen version of FW or earlier, you'll have to start from scratch after you downgrade.

Last edited:
.... Anyone out there running some pretty old FW with great results still?

That's the rub, "great results". Every new version of the software redefines "great results". I doubt you'd find many players that have been keeping up to date with the FW would feel that they were getting "great results" if they went back to a version from years ago, even if they thought they were getting "great results" back when it was current.

The other thing that's not captured in this idea is that "great results" are easier to get now. Many people seem to be reporting that they can just load up an amp block, fiddle with the input gain, MV, and BMT and they've got "great results". Older FW versions seemed to need more tweaking in the "under the hood" settings to get to "great results".

That's the rub, "great results". Every new version of the software redefines "great results". I doubt you'd find many players that have been keeping up to date with the FW would feel that they were getting "great results" if they went back to a version from years ago, even if they thought they were getting "great results" back when it was current.

The other thing that's not captured in this idea is that "great results" are easier to get now. Many people seem to be reporting that they can just load up an amp block, fiddle with the input gain, MV, and BMT and they've got "great results". Older FW versions seemed to need more tweaking in the "under the hood" settings to get to "great results".

I've been with the Axe since 5.02
only twice since then have I taken the latest fw and not got on with it [and so rolled back to the previous version]

I've taken almost every update since 5.02 barring just a couple that showed up whilst I was on tour [or about to head out] which then go superseded by the time I returned...
like now.. I can't upgrade until the end of Nov cos I'm about to go on a short tour..
so I'll miss Q9.00 but will take Q9.01 [or higher] when I'm back..
anyways.. almost every successive fw has brought something [for me] that makes it better than the last..

So, I've had many guitar amps over the years...many of them were obsolete, not versatile, and simple failed to deliver at some point. With 9.01, I believe I've reached nirvana.

If I never get another firmware upgrade or new hardware, it's still much better than anything I've ever experienced for guitar amplification/tone-effects control.

I'm sure Fractal will come up with something better someday, even though I'm not sure how. When they do, I will be there with them. Simply because of the way they treat their customers!!! Cheers.

Heck, I was coppin' great tones with my old Ultra until about 4mo's ago, before I sold it. While still owning an AxeFxll..
The way I look at it is, getting new firmware (AxeFxll) is like being a painter(artist) and obtaining a broader pallet of colors.
Don't always need all of them, but your covered if you do.
Thanks FAS, for all the possibilities, now at our fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom