Axe + FRFR users, how are you getting feedback?

I want that type of feedback that you hear on the Pulse recording of Sorrow, natural sounding and controllable. But since going FRFR I've not been able to get that sound except at ear blistering volumes, and even then it's touch and go.

With my old 5w valve amp, I'd never struggle to get it with a Muff plugged in, but FRFR makes things exceptionally hard, why is that? Is there something about a speaker cab that is more conducive to making feedback?

EDIT: Any idea why it's not as easy with a modeller/FRFR as it is with a regular amp/cab?

Last edited:
There was a topic some time ago of someone emulating feedback using pitch shifter and delay's feedback you should check. :)

I have no issues at all getting musical feedback through FR. Even at rather low volume levels.

But while a guitar speaker is usually limited to frequencies below 5kHz, FR covers frequencies above that. Which means that it's much easier to get unmusical feedback too, that gets in the way of the desired feedback.

The angle of the throw is pertinent. Most speaker cabs direct the sound straight out, or at a slight angle. FRFR can be at different, more obtuse angles. Try adjusting this. Feedback is caused by guitar pickups picking up the sounds coming out of the speaker. Worth a try!

Check out this video from Mark Day. He creates simulated feedback with a pitch block and it sounds very convincing.

If you have an available drive block, I would set that with some ridiculous gain levels and use it only to get feedback when you want it, you can also use the EQ control of the drive block to limit the high frequencies to whatever you would like.

Yeah.... I've never had problems with this either - I was going to post earlier in this thread, but what I had to say seemed so pedantic that I hesitated.... (these comments offered to help) but I think this boils down to amp/cab choice and gain staging. I would start with the variety of drives available, if that doesn't work try different amps. Getting musical feedback out of some real tube amps can be tough, so I would expect the models to behave similarly. For example, to get a usable lead tone out of the Hiwatt 100 model, I dime the gain and set MV at 8 or 9 (it's cool, try it). There is always a balance between sufficient gain to produce musical feedback and too much gain that causes random hooting.... and that balance is strongly affected by room characteristics. But that is not different from traditional tube amps. Because of the variety of modeled amps, you should be able to find one that preserves the tonal essence but gives you the gain you want/need. You could also try x/y to a different cab - that can make the difference too.

I have a patch I use for this song, I can get feedback at reasonable volume levels. Part of it is what everyone has mentioned with gain staging, also EQ has a lot to do with it. The pickup system David Gilmour used for that tour has a mid boost and he has it cranked up all the way for the intro. He was also known to play fairly loud too and the way his cabs are set up on stage they are all angled up towards him.

I can get into musical feedback like an amp, but being on axis with an FRFR, the control of the feedback is different than off axis to a guitar cab.

I have to mute more to control the feedback on axis.

...just gotta find that sweet spot.

Amp and Cab modelling have nothing to do with it. You have to get the string to create a sympathetic vibration at the note you want (or one of the overtones). The note has to feed itself from a speaker, back onto the string and create a recurring loop. Lots of factors come into play - the amount of gain or distortion, where you're standing, pickups, speakers, the room. Sometimes you don't need much volume. Sometimes it's very hard to get, but that could be because your room is cancelling out that frequency. Try to dial it up in a larger room, you may find it much easier. Increase distortion a bit and that might help. At sound check, walk around to find where the sweet spot is and mark it w tape for the gig.

If you're on IEM (in ear monitors) with no onstage output for guitar, it may be very difficult to get feedback - because nothing is getting fed back to the guitar. For IEM only, you could try an ebow.

Axe + FRFR users, how are you getting feedback?

I usually yell, "Hey honey, how does this patch sound?", then she tells me (most of the time she just says that it's too loud). :D

Seriously though, I play at a fairly low volume, and even then, I get mild feedback when sitting a few feet away, in front of one of my monitors. I imagine just a bit more volume is all it would take to achieve the kind of feedback you hear in the PF clip.

The beginning of the Pink Floyd clip reminds me of back when I used to play my Axe-Fx Standard through a Carvin SS power amp & two 4x12 cabs at ridiculously loud volumes in my house. Oh, the good ol' days. :)

Here's a clip from back then of me playing around with tons of gain, feedback & delay:

What are your input gate settings? Are you using a gate block? These can make feedback tougher (or easier) to achieve depending on how they are set up.

Simulated feedback really seems to promote true feedback I've found with my FreqOut pedal. The pedal of course is nice because it can produce a conviencing effect without needing to even get in front of a speaker, however, I've also found that with my CLR, again at reasonable volumes, that when I step on the Freqout pedal and produce the simulated effect, that it also really gets my guitar feeding back if I get close to the speaker.

I would guess that even with a simulated pitch block effect this probably holds true as well, so if your playing loud, then its no problem, but if your at quieter levels, give it a try and see if it kicks your rig into feedback a lot easier

I have no trouble getting feedback through my CLRs. I add a drive block (TS808 typically) before the preamp on some of my patches to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom