Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

+1 on the color coding (and I'm not particular which colors to use :D)

2.04 is again a MAJOR step forward - syncing works great from what I have seen so far. The tuner page is super cool and useful!

You continue to amaze me with your template development - thanks so much for your work!!

Hey Scrutinizer!
Post 1000 was for Cliff, #1001 goes to you, a fitting digital number for an outstanding axe-fx editor!!

I've been wanting amps/cabs sorted by type and color since day one. I figured out how to change text to caps, but never figured out the color thing.

The colored cabs window is VERY effective. This is because they're already sorted by type in the factory pack, and then by type in the producer pack. The colors aren't scrambled like they are in the amps window. The cabs fall visually within a color "bank".

I recommend doing something similar with amps:
1 - sort by type
2 - and then sort by alpha within each type (amps on axe-fx front panel are alpha now)

These are my color recommendations:
1 - sort amps by type in the same order as natural color spectrum (below)
2 - sort amps by alpha within each color

Black - Boogie
Purple - Dumble type amps
Blue - Fender type amps and amps that are mostly clean
Green - Unique amps that don't fit other categories
Yellow - Vox type amps
Orange - Marshall type amps
Red - High Gain, Metal & Djent type amps

Might be good to USE CAPS when there's room - much easier for the eye to quickly see the alpha sort order.

I can easily picture grabbing the color bank and then scanning left to right for amp name.
In no time users will be thinking "Blue...third from left" or "purple...last on the right" and select the right amp in less than two seconds.
Good idea! I'd like to try that. I can display the amps in any order, and the button colors are easy to set.

I have uploaded a spreadsheet to Google Docs showing the amp type categorization. I could use some help filling in the blanks, and would be great if others can double check that each amp is in the correct category.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ao6lFMvkL4pMdHo3dnB1a1c4MzNEbDNZdEw2UGRCbUE&output=html

Can somebody, anybody, point me to instructions or a how to? I have Lemur installed but don't know how to get the lemur for axe templates installed. Please Help!!!!

Can somebody, anybody, point me to instructions or a how to? I have Lemur installed but don't know how to get the lemur for axe templates installed. Please Help!!!!

I had the same problem... this one detail is kinda buried in these posts.

Locate the Lemur template, and double-click on it, this should open the Lemur Editor ( or open up the Lemur Editor and navigate to and open the AxeFX template ). Once the AxeFX Template is in the Lemur Editor Window, and you can see that the computer and iPad are seeing each other, click the "Play" triangle symbol in the Editor window... this will send the template to the iPad.

Enjoy !

Mac or PC?

The setup on both is very similar. The first step is to install the Lemur Daemon and Lemur Editor software. Get these from Liine's website:
Liine - Support

You need the AxeFX-II USB drivers if you will be using the template with AxeII connected to your Mac or PC using a USB cable. Download this from Fractal's support page, and install the driver.
Fractal Audio Systems - Support

Launch the Lemur Daemon on your Mac or PC, then start the Lemur app on your iPad. In Lemur's Settings page, under MIDI Targets, you will select the AxeFXII. Note that on a Mac, the AxeFX is sometimes listed as 'MIDI OUT' and 'MIDI IN', with no mention of AxeFXII. Select these if you do not see your AxeFXII in the list of available targets.

To load the template onto your iPad, you can either use iTunes or use the Lemur Editor.

To load the template using iTunes, connect your iPad to your computer, launch iTunes, and perform a sync. Click the 'Apps' button, then scroll down to 'File Sharing' and click the Lemur icon. All of the Lemur templates on your iPad should be listed here. Simply drag and drop the Axe for Lemur template file into this list, then click sync. Once done, quit iTunes and disconnect the iPad USB from the computer. Fire up Lemur on the iPad and my template should be available to load.

To use the Lemur editor, simply open the template file and click the Lemur Connection button in the upper right corner of the Lemur Editor window. In the Lemur app on your ipad you need to save the template, so tap the small gear thingy in the upper right corner and tap "Save project". Once the template has been loaded and saved onto your iPad you can quit the Lemur Editor.

At this point you should have the template working and communicating. I recommend that you enable the Auto Sync feature right away, it makes the template much easier to use. If you do not have Auto Sync enabled, you have to tell the template that it needs to query the AxeFX for parameter values. But if Auto Sync is enabled, the template does its best to automatically query the parameter values of the block or blocks you are editing.

This should get you started. Please let me know if you need more help, I'm happy to help. And FWIW, I have started work on a demo video. I realize it is badly needed.

Perfect, thank you! All up and running, both with the lemur daemon running on my Mac and using iRig to connect directly to my AxeFx. Works great!

Now a more difficult question...how difficult would it be to say replace the multi delay with format or synth block?

Thanks!

Pete

Any idea why some blocks are missing from the template when I use it? I'm using 2.04, but my patches with Reverb, Pitch, Phaser, and Chorus blocks don't allow me to edit those blocks. They don't show up at all in their edit windows (the windows are just blank), and they are grayed out in the matrix. Amp, Cab, Drive, and Delay work great and show up as expected.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't figured out what.

Perfect, thank you! All up and running, both with the lemur daemon running on my Mac and using iRig to connect directly to my AxeFx. Works great!

Now a more difficult question...how difficult would it be to say replace the multi delay with format or synth block?

Thanks!

Pete
Glad you got it working.

The Synth and Formant blocks are on the second group of buttons. Tap the small '1' button that is next to the AMP button to reveal this second group of buttons.

I love playing with the Synth page:
Drop a Synth block in a preset
TRACK=OFF on all three voices
Select waveform shape for all three voices (default has voice 2 and 3 off, be sure to enable these)
With the keyboard in MONO mode, tap all three VOICE SELECT buttons
Set KEYBOARD MODE SELECT = FREQ
Now tap the middle C on the keyboard in the template. This sets the frequency of all voices to 261.6 Hz.
Set MODE = POLY
Set KEYBOARD MODE SELECT = SHIFT

Now you can use the keyboard in the template to play the synth with 3-voice polyphony. With these settings the voices sustain as if a sustain pedal is held down. Voice allocation is very simple in this mode: voices are assigned sequentially. So if you tap the same note three times you get all three voices sounding the same note.

If you set KEYBOARD MODE SELECT = PLAY, the voices are gated using one of two methods. With PLAY GATE MODE = SYX, the voices are turned on and off using SysEx commands. You can see this in action as you play because the V1, 2, 3 Level faders will be moving as you play the keyboard. Using sysex like this to turn the voices on and off can create pops or clicks as the voice is turned on and off, especially when using the sine waveform type.

With PLAY GATE MODE = CC, the template sends CC messages to gate the voices, but it is up to the user to create a preset that has the required mapping described below.
Synth Voice 1 Level mapped to CC 25 (EXT CTL 10)
Synth Voice 2 Level mapped to CC 26 (EXT CTL 11)
Synth Voice 3 Level mapped to CC 27 (EXT CTL 12)

I do not know if others have tried using the synth block in this way, so I think we should consider this an experimental feature.

Any idea why some blocks are missing from the template when I use it? I'm using 2.04, but my patches with Reverb, Pitch, Phaser, and Chorus blocks don't allow me to edit those blocks. They don't show up at all in their edit windows (the windows are just blank), and they are grayed out in the matrix. Amp, Cab, Drive, and Delay work great and show up as expected.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't figured out what.
This sounds like the Lemur bug where incoming sysex messages are truncated.

On the preset page, do you see red or green LEDs in the SYSEX Size/Status section? If red, what are the numbers next to the red LED? Red indicates the message was truncated. The number tells us how much of the message was received.

How are you connecting the iPad to the AxeII? Is there a midi interface and midi cables somewhere in the setup?

Glad you got it working.

The Synth and Formant blocks are on the second group of buttons. Tap the small '1' button that is next to the AMP button to reveal this second group of buttons.

I love playing with the Synth page:
Drop a Synth block in a preset
TRACK=OFF on all three voices
Select waveform shape for all three voices (default has voice 2 and 3 off, be sure to enable these)
With the keyboard in MONO mode, tap all three VOICE SELECT buttons
Set KEYBOARD MODE SELECT = FREQ
Now tap the middle C on the keyboard in the template. This sets the frequency of all voices to 261.6 Hz.
Set MODE = POLY
Set KEYBOARD MODE SELECT = SHIFT

Now you can use the keyboard in the template to play the synth with 3-voice polyphony. With these settings the voices sustain as if a sustain pedal is held down. Voice allocation is very simple in this mode: voices are assigned sequentially. So if you tap the same note three times you get all three voices sounding the same note.

If you set KEYBOARD MODE SELECT = PLAY, the voices are gated using one of two methods. With PLAY GATE MODE = SYX, the voices are turned on and off using SysEx commands. You can see this in action as you play because the V1, 2, 3 Level faders will be moving as you play the keyboard. Using sysex like this to turn the voices on and off can create pops or clicks as the voice is turned on and off, especially when using the sine waveform type.

With PLAY GATE MODE = CC, the template sends CC messages to gate the voices, but it is up to the user to create a preset that has the required mapping described below.
Synth Voice 1 Level mapped to CC 25 (EXT CTL 10)
Synth Voice 2 Level mapped to CC 26 (EXT CTL 11)
Synth Voice 3 Level mapped to CC 27 (EXT CTL 12)

I do not know if others have tried using the synth block in this way, so I think we should consider this an experimental feature.

Thanks for the help!!!

Donation sent, this app is fantastic!!!

Pete

This sounds like the Lemur bug where incoming sysex messages are truncated.

On the preset page, do you see red or green LEDs in the SYSEX Size/Status section? If red, what are the numbers next to the red LED? Red indicates the message was truncated. The number tells us how much of the message was received.

How are you connecting the iPad to the AxeII? Is there a midi interface and midi cables somewhere in the setup?

Yeah, two of the LEDs are red. I'll check the numbers next time I'm in front of it. I'm using an iRig MIDIadapter to connect the iPad directly to the Axe-FX via MIDI in and out.

Yeah, two of the LEDs are red. I'll check the numbers next time I'm in front of it. I'm using an iRig MIDIadapter to connect the iPad directly to the Axe-FX via MIDI in and out.
Another user was able to get 100% reliable communication using the MIDIBridge app on the iPad.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...zer-template-works-just-using-midi-cable.html

The developer of MIDIBridge explained (see link below) that his app buffers the incoming sysex message, and only passes it to Lemur when the entire message has been received. This is a way to avoid the Lemur bug that corrupts incoming sysex messages that arrive slowly.
inbound MIDI system exclusive processing

These are my color recommendations:
1 - sort amps by type in the same order as natural color spectrum (below)
2 - sort amps by alpha within each color

Black - Boogie
Purple - Dumble type amps
Blue - Fender type amps and amps that are mostly clean
Green - Unique amps that don't fit other categories
Yellow - Vox type amps
Orange - Marshall type amps
Red - High Gain, Metal & Djent type amps

Might be good to USE CAPS when there's room - much easier for the eye to quickly see the alpha sort order.

I can easily picture grabbing the color bank and then scanning left to right for amp name.
In no time users will be thinking "Blue...third from left" or "purple...last on the right" and select the right amp in less than two seconds.
Here is an update. I like your sort order and color suggestions.
IMG_0340.PNG

Check out the same color scheme applied to the Cab Type dialog, where:
Purple = 1x6, 1x8, 1x10
Blue = 1x2
Gray = 1x15, 2x15
Green = 2x12
Yellow = 2x10, 3x10, 4x10
Orange = 4x10
Red = Bass cabs

IMG_0341.PNG

That's exactly what I was imagining! Thanks!!!
I vote Scrutinizer Fractal's non-employee of the year, two years running!

Cliff should hire you as the FAS tablet editor dude. It's a no-brainer.

Here is an update. I like your sort order and color suggestions.
IMG_0340.PNG

Great timing! I planned to release 2.05 today, and here it is!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.2.05.zip

Change Log:
Apr 19, 2013
Axe for Lemur version 2.05

Feature improvements and additions:
- When any Tempo parameter is changed, the associated time or delay parameter updates
- Amp Type dialog:
- Amps are grouped by category, then sorted alphabetically within the categories
- Text is easier to read, some amp names have been shortened or abbreviated
- Dialog uses color to identify different amp categories.
- Black = Boogie amps
- Purple = Dumble type amps
- Blue = Fender type amps
- Green = Unique amps not fitting into other categories
- Yellow = Vox type amps
- Orange = Marshall type amps
- Red = High Gain, Metal, Djent type amps​
- Thanks to Solo-Act for the color and sort order suggestions!
- Cab Type dialog:
- Text is easier to read, some cab names have been shortened or abbreviated
- Changed color scheme to identify different cab categories.
- Black = 1x15, 2x15
- Purple = 1x6, 1x8, 1x10
- Blue = 1x12
- Green = 2x12
- Yellow = 2x10, 3x10, 4x10
- Orange = 4x12
- Red = Bass Cabs
- Improve behavior of many commonly used dialogs:
- AMP type and tonestack, DLY type and config, DRV/PHA/FLA/REV/MTD/PIT type
- Stops refresh sequence if user changes 'type' selection while "PLS WAIT" is shown
- Restarts auto query after short pause
- Added dynamic updating of these dialogs if preset changed from MFC or AxeFX front panel
- Pitch block
- Adv whammy mode: put all controls on one page
- Whammy and Adv Whammy modes: add large array of quick jump buttons for CONTROL fader
- Adv Whammy start and stop controls now use color to show common chord tones
- FixedHarmony & Crystals Shift1 and Shift2 controls now use color to show common chord tones

Fixed Bugs:
- Fixed: Cab block in stereo mode, with link=on. If user changed CabLeft or MicLeft type, it would cause strange behavior of the AutoSync button
- Fixed: Multidelay 10-tap 'Delay Tempo' control not working
- Fixed: Open dialogs not closing when opening the Presets page

Thanks for new version! Its getting better and better :)
Just small remark: Butons 3,6,9 (in Preset square) are with lighter yelow then other - I guess its not intentional.
Is there possibility to use somehow the pannel with MIDI setting for other devices? For example what kind of commands you can send to Eclipse?

ps. donation sent

Back
Top Bottom