Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

PS: I would also be awesome if a future release could query and update the scene state (e.g. on switching scenes via the foot controller).

I guess the problem here is the number of parameters being queried each time - one can see when selecting auto sync off that tapping "get all" queries 212 parameters which does take some time to retrieve.

Could it be an idea to query only parameters relative to the screen the user is currently in vs. querying all parms all the time?

I do realize that it is something else sitting here making smart a$$ suggestions vs having the coding effort but my only intention here is to offer (hopefully somewhat constructive) feedback from an end-user perspective...

Just a quick feedback after playing with it for a while: The effect bypass state changes are updated flawlessly in the template (for the CC range you have coded) when triggered by the FCB direct via the corresponding respective CC or indirect, when using the "wildcard" setup, via the corresponding CC for an allocated external controller, mapped to a specific effect bypass parameter. So what I originally desired is in fact there and I am very happy with that :)

What I have noticed:
1) Even though when calling up a preset, all corresponding effects in the chain are initially properly turned on/off in the template, triggering an effect on/off from the FP (with the FX BYP knob) is not reflected in the template? That I do not understand as the template is listening to the Axe on port 0 and it obviously does react to patch and tempo changes from the FP (it reacts to the Axe).
Why does the template reflect bypass state changes from my FCB but not from the FP?? I don't get it.
The AxeII does not transmit any USB MIDI message when the user changes effect bypass state using the FP. So there is no observable event to trigger the re-sync of bypass states. Hopefully this will change with a future AxeII firmware version.

I did notice this issue a long time ago, but never found a good solution. Some weeks ago, I experimented with a timed query of bypass states every second or two. Actually had it working, syncing perfectly with front panel changes, but felt the disadvantages outweighed the advantages, and abandoned the idea. The polling can interfere with parameter editing, and is not very user friendly because the time between FP changes and these changes showing up in the template was very random.

2) After fiddling with the template for while, sometimes a state occurs where moving faders or controls creates a fluttering sound in the Axe (speakers) - simply changing preset (and back) resolves that and control movements are sonically as smooth as before. I was not able to recreate such a state on purpose so that I could detect what has to happen in which sequence for this to occur.
Is this when moving the faders or controls - does the fluttering stop when not changing the control setting?

If the fluttering continues after you lift the finger from the control, it might be some sort of midi feedback. Does the MIDI IN led stay solid green after you stop moving the control? If so, it would be enormously helpful if you could capture some of the midi messages sent by the template while this is happening (using a midi capture utility like Midi Ox on pc or Midi Monitor on a mac).

Roger on your points 1 & 2 - I understand now.

Overall, I think that -at least from me- the bypass state updates are a huge step forward as now, one can play guitar while using the foot controller (including the pedals) and at the same time modify parameters comfortably in the template without having to think about keeping the pedals in sync with the template (e.g. stomp boxes).

This thing is awesome!
Thanks! I enjoy using it as much as I enjoy building it.

The AxeII does not transmit any USB MIDI message when the user changes effect bypass state using the FP.

Now that makes it easy to understand then why it does not work from the FP :) Almost thought so in the meantime... well - main thing is the foot controller works with the template now.

Is this when moving the faders or controls - does the fluttering stop when not changing the control setting?

When it happens, the fluttering stops as soon as I stop moving the control, so it is likely not a MIDI feedback. It happend only a few times in the beginning when experimenting with the latest template release. I'm on the road this week but will continue playing with it on the weekend and have MidiOx trying to capture whats happening when and if it happens again to make it available to you.

Thanks! I enjoy using it as much as I enjoy building it.

I am very happy to hear that and hope that your enjoyment will continue to be strong and healthy for the benefit of all of us! :))

May I add this here:

Holy sh..

What an incredible piece of work ...

Thank you scrutinizer

You definitly should look out to put a DONATION button somewhere ;-)

Man, what a cool tool :)

Introducing Axe for Lemur version 2.03
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.2.03.zip

Change Log:
Axe for Lemur version 2.03
Apr 7, 2013

Added two new pages w/ controls for the following blocks:
- Feedback Send/Return
- FX Loop
- Mix1 and Mix2
- Gate / Input Impedance
- Output
- Controls (LFO1, LFO2, ADSR1, ADSR2, ENV, SEQ)

Added Tuner Page

Axe-FX II firmware v10.0 support:
- Amp
- Add new amp models and tonestack types
- Pres/Depth Type (not shown on axe front panel or AE) is still user editable!
- Add new controls:
- Mstr Vol Trim
- Pwr Supply Type
- AC Line Freq
- Tube Type
- Dynamic Presence
- Dynamic Depth
- Character
- Character Freq
- Thunk
- Bias Trem Freq
- Bias Trem Depth
- Removed controls:
- Spkr Mid F
- Spkr Mid Q
- Spkr Mid Res
- Cab
- Add the new factory cabs
- Support a total of 100 user cabs using a new dialog
- new Prox R control is shown when in stereo cab mode
- Looper
- Add Trim Start and End control
- Add Play Immediate button
- Filter
- Add new controls: Low Cut and High Cut
- Reverb
- Support new reverb type "Stone Quarry"
- Drive
- Support new clip type "Null"

Other Changes
- Complete rework of PEQ to use faders instead of knobs
- Complete rework of GEQ to use faders instead of multislider
- Improved layout on some other blocks: CHO, CPR, FILT
- Other minor layout changes and improvements

Auto-Sync Changes:
- Changed the way some incoming CC messages are recognized:
- Template listens to MIDI TARGETS 0, 1, 2, and 3, simultaneously
- Template listens only for messages on the AxeFX midi channel (as set & selected on Preset Page)
- If AUTOSYNC=ON, the template will detect any CC message that matches a CC# from the last bypass
state response from the AxeFX - this event triggers a resync of the bypass states after a short
pause
- If AUTOSYNC=ON, the template will detect any CC message that matches the Scene Select/Inc/Dec
CC# as set in aUser.cMidi.gen2.scenescc - this event triggers a resync of the scene state after
a short pause
- Note that if AUTOSYNC=OFF, the template effectively ignores these incoming CC messages
- Improved detection of events that should trigger auto-sync:
- Amp block, change amp type or preamp type
- Drive block, change type
- Phaser block, change type
- Flanger block, change type
- Chorus block, change type
- Delay block, change type or mode
- Reverb block, change type
- Pitch block, change type
- Auto-Sync displays the active instance of multi-instance blocks. This action is triggered on receipt
of the bypass state response from the AxeFX. When using Scenes to switch between Amp1 and Amp2, the
template's amp page will automatically switch to the currently active amp block. This feature was
suggested by SimonDreyer on the Fractal Forum. Thanks Simon!

Changes to reduce Lemur memory use:
- Reworked MIDI Settings, Favorites, and Keypad sections on Preset page to use fewer Lemur objects
- Eliminated about 70 separate init scripts by combining into just 3 scripts (see cS.initstage3, 4, 5)
- Synth block keyboard has been reworked to use less memory by combining more than 25 individual scripts into one
- Combined about 40 individual scripts in cTabSel into three scripts
- Reworked pitch block arp pattern dialog

Fixed bugs
- If preset contained two instances of a block type which has no XY setting (e.g. ROT1 and ROT2 in the same preset), the status LED and auto refresh for this block did not update correctly when toggling between instances.
- Missing Delay block LFO2 Phase control
- Looper status was not working
- Muxed faders sometimes not initializing during query sequence
- No retry when auto-querying bypass states if byp state response was corrupt
- At launch, template should display Axe for Lemur screen, not Ext Control
- GEQ controls were missing in Standard/Ultra mode
- PAN block controls not showing/hiding correctly when switching between pan and term mode
- MGT block Time fader not working / controlling wrong parameter
- DLY block Delay Tempo (Right) dialog caption incorrect
- Other minor bug fixes
- Many typo corrections

Last edited:
I've added a donation link to my sig. And thanks to all who have supported me via emails asking me to start accepting donations.

Please feel free to make multiple donations if you think the template is worth more than the $20 that I am asking. :D

Great work! Unfortunately, I havn't got an iPad to try it out.

Do you know if Lemur will one day be available on ANDROID?

Great work! Unfortunately, I havn't got an iPad to try it out.

Do you know if Lemur will one day be available on ANDROID?
I think it is unlikely that we'd see an Android version in the near future. I hope that I am wrong, that would be great if they can figure it out.

Sorry about the factory cab type dialog button text overlapping. I have fixed this and will post an update later today.

Thanks to those that used the Paypal link. The account is now verified so I can accept payments.

Last edited:
Here is a new version which fixes the Cab dialog issue.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54889552/AxeForLemur.2.04.zip

Change Log:
Axe for Lemur version 2.04
Apr 8, 2013

Fixed Bugs:
- Cab Type Dialog (factory) text in buttons was overlapping and unreadable. Reduced text size to fix this.
- Added watchdog timer to reset query sequence state machine if it stalls
- Get All button was not resetting in some situations (was getting stuck on "Pls Wait")
- Amp block, re-named control which is now called "Presence Type"

Feature improvements and additions:
- While MTX page is showing, a tap on MTX button returns to the last block that was being edited.
- Cab Type Dialog, factory cab buttons are color-coded to make it easier to find cabs:
red=1x2, blue=2x12, green=4x12, brown=other​
- AMP block, added a "Set Flat EQ" button, resets the amp block geq
- GEQ block, added a "Set Flat EQ" button, resets the GEQ block eq controls
- PEQ block, added a "Set Flat EQ" button, resets the PEQ block eq controls
- CTL block, tweaked layout to increase fader height (so all faders on CTL page are same size)
- RNG block, layout change, more preset buttons for the ring mod's MULT parameter:
1/2, 1/3, 3/4, 1, 5/4, 3/2, 2​

Thanks to those that used the Paypal link. The account is now verified so I can accept payments.

I cannot emphasize enough for anyone using this app to toss David a quick $20. In this day and age where so much is stolen and prices are through the roof for everything from food to gas to toys a mere $20 for this app is a no brainer. The work and time David has put into this is HUGE to say the least! And he updates it within days of FW upgrades etc. Anyone who has used it knows how sweet it is to have all the parameters for example of the amp block at your fingertips while playing.

Do the right thing guys and support this endeavor!

Last edited:
I cannot emphasize enough for anyone using this app to toss David a quick $20. In this day and age where so much is stolen and prices are through the roof for everything from food to gas to toys a mere $20 for this app is a no brainer. The work and time David has put into this is HUGE to say the least! And he updates it within days of FW upgrades etc. Anyone who has used it knows how sweet it is to have all the parameters for example of the amp block at your fingertips while playing.

Do the right thing guys and support this endeavor!

+1!!

This is an awesome tool and 20 bucks is a steal...

PS: I am amazed at how fast Scrutinizer delivered an updated template for V10 - plus the new status updates make this thing even more joyful to play with!

Thanks so much for the kind comments and support!

Found two bugs so far with the latest version:
- Cab block, stereo mode, link=on, change cab type causes incorrect toggling of GetAll button. Easily fixed.
- Multidelay 10-tap mode, delay tempo parameter is not working. Another easy fix.

Anyone else like the color coded buttons in the new Cab Type dialog? I am thinking of using the same idea for the amp type dialog to make it easier to find and select amps. For the button colors, I would propose the following:
Fender = red buttons
Vox = blue buttons
Marshall = green buttons
Dumble = teal buttons (tan is too close to the default brown button color)
Hi Gain / Metal = purple buttons
Mesa/Boogie = grey buttons

Note that there are many amp types that do not fit the above categories. The button color for these amps would be default brown.

I am also thinking of alphabetizing the amps in the amp type dialog, so the amps appear in the same order as they do using the AxeII front panel.

So, what do you folks think about the proposed changes? Do you like the proposed color scheme for the amp dialog?

Last edited:
Hmm. Not sure if I like the color coded buttons. I have to use this a while to see if it makes the amps easier to find.

Any comments?

IMG_0325.PNG

Yeah, it is definitely a keeper. I think the color coding will need some tweaks, but this is a start.

I have not yet posted pics of new Tuner page or some of the other changes. Of course those with Lemur can just download and run the template to see all the changes. But for those that have not purchased Lemur and want to know what the latest template looks like, here are some pics:

Here's what the the tuner page looks like. Easy to use. Tapping Done returns to the last editing page and simultaneously disables the tuner.
IMG_0328.PNG

New amp block page:
IMG_0329.PNG

Click the links below for other pictures of the Amp block:
Amp block, PreAmp controls
Amp block, Pwr/Xmfr controls
Amp block, Speaker controls
Amp block, Supply/Bias controls
Amp block, EQ controls

Hey Scrutinizer!
Post 1000 was for Cliff, #1001 goes to you, a fitting digital number for an outstanding axe-fx editor!!

I've been wanting amps/cabs sorted by type and color since day one. I figured out how to change text to caps, but never figured out the color thing.

The colored cabs window is VERY effective. This is because they're already sorted by type in the factory pack, and then by type in the producer pack. The colors aren't scrambled like they are in the amps window. The cabs fall visually within a color "bank".

I recommend doing something similar with amps:
1 - sort by type
2 - and then sort by alpha within each type (amps on axe-fx front panel are alpha now)

These are my color recommendations:
1 - sort amps by type in the same order as natural color spectrum (below)
2 - sort amps by alpha within each color

Black - Boogie
Purple - Dumble type amps
Blue - Fender type amps and amps that are mostly clean
Green - Unique amps that don't fit other categories
Yellow - Vox type amps
Orange - Marshall type amps
Red - High Gain, Metal & Djent type amps

Might be good to USE CAPS when there's room - much easier for the eye to quickly see the alpha sort order.

I can easily picture grabbing the color bank and then scanning left to right for amp name.
In no time users will be thinking "Blue...third from left" or "purple...last on the right" and select the right amp in less than two seconds.

Back
Top Bottom