Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

Thanks Scrutinizer it all most works now the tempo light is blinking but the axe will not respond. your pic of the midi patch bay shows midi input as axe midi out mine shows axe midi in! there is no option for axe fx midi out in the pull down.

Thanks for the help

PS I moved the usb cable to a new port still now joy
There should be two patches in MIDI Patchbay, click Add Patch (button in lower right corner of MIDI patchbay window) if necessary to create the second one. One patch routes midi from the AxeII to to the Lemur Daemon 0, this is working if you are seeing the tempo pad flash.

The second patch in MIDI Patchbay routes midi from Lemur Daemon 0 to the AxeII. Make sure this patch exists and is checked (enabled).

Next check to make sure the template is sending to the desired Lemur Target.
In the template, go to the preset page:
select Target Device A
in the column of controls above the 'A' switch, check the settings:
Type = Axe-FX II
MIDI Channel = 1
Lemur Target = 0

Hopefully that will work.

Do you have a Apple iPad camera connection kit USB adapter? This should always work, and eliminates the wi-fi link. The Mac is still needed, but only for getting some firmware into the AxeII so it behaves like a class-compliant USB audio/midi device. To do this - power up Mac and AxeII, connect AxeII to Mac via USB, then move the USB cable from the Mac to the iPad camera connection without unplugging or powering down the AxeII. Unfortunately, the data rate with the camera kit USB adapter seems to be about the same as with wifi. And charging the iPad battery is not possible when using the CCK USB adapter.

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed the info somewhere but is there a way to set the circular dials to 0 (12 noon) easily? (the sensitive movement of the dial prevents me from setting 0 values exactly without a lot of back and forth).

Hey Central Scrutinizer, thanks for the 1.99b9 update! One thing I've found is that on the CPR/DRV page, moving Drive, Bass, Mid, or Treb scrolls the numeric value of them all. Also, on the AMP page negative Level numbers beyond -9.9 cause the value to read -10.... Thanks again for how awesome AxeforLemur is!!!

Brad

Sorry if I missed the info somewhere but is there a way to set the circular dials to 0 (12 noon) easily? (the sensitive movement of the dial prevents me from setting 0 values exactly without a lot of back and forth).
I have the same problem, so have been thinking about ways to improve the situation.

One option is to use small buttons beneath the knob, that center the knob when tapped. To see an example of this, check out the SYN page, where these buttons appear under the tune, duty, pan, and balance knobs. But there is a memory problem. In the Lemur Editor there is a pie chart in the lower right corner showing the amount of Lemur memory used by the controls, scripts, and variables in the template. With the template loaded, it sits at 97% right now.

Now, back to the SYN page, each of the small 'centering' buttons takes about 0.1% of the available Lemur memory. If I were to add centering buttons to just the balance knob on each block in the template, that would use the remaining 3%. So that's not a good option unless we get a new version of Lemur that supports larger templates.

Other options I am looking at:
Tap-hold the Zoom button to enable the 'grid' attribute of knobs & faders on the current page
Double tap knob or fader to trigger some action

Ya - I see the problem we'd have with memory (and screen space too possibly). The zoom option would be good, or, if there a way to set the dial to 0 if you tap and hold in the centre more than say 2 seconds, that would be good as well. THe only ones that are a problem for me are the ones that have the centre line at the top of the dial for 0 (i.e. pick attack, dynamics ...) - others are fine as you can tap the bottom of the dial to go directly to min or max values.

Hey Central Scrutinizer, thanks for the 1.99b9 update! One thing I've found is that on the CPR/DRV page, moving Drive, Bass, Mid, or Treb scrolls the numeric value of them all. Also, on the AMP page negative Level numbers beyond -9.9 cause the value to read -10.... Thanks again for how awesome AxeforLemur is!!!

Brad
Thanks for the bug report. I was able to confirm the bug with the Drive block Bass, Mid, and Treb controls.

I was not able to reproduce the other issue you reported. The Amp block Level control works normally here. Do you see the problem with all presets?

Thanks for the bug report. I was able to confirm the bug with the Drive block Bass, Mid, and Treb controls.

I was not able to reproduce the other issue you reported. The Amp block Level control works normally here. Do you see the problem with all presets?

It works fine, it's just that for larger negative numbers the text overflows the text box and I can't see the tenths place.

Brad

In the CAB tab I do not see the "Mic R" and the "Cab Right" buttons. Ipad2 here with iOS 6.0.1. It happens only when I am connected to the AxeFX (Ultra or II). When I am not connected neither of them I can see those two missing buttons. Tested both with WiFi and USB, same results.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
In the CAB tab I do not see the "Mic R" and the "Cab Right" buttons. Ipad2 here with iOS 6.0.1. It happens only when I am connected to the AxeFX (Ultra or II). When I am not connected neither of them I can see those two missing buttons. Tested both with WiFi and USB, same results.
Thanks for the bug report. I am seeing the same issue.

If you set LINK=OFF you will see the missing buttons. For now, use LINK=OFF if you want different cabs or mics on left and right.

When I originally designed the Cab page I assumed that if the user selects LINK=ON, the user wants to use the same cab and mic on left and right. So I felt there was no need to show the Cab Right and Mic Right buttons in that condition. It did not occur to me that there might be presets that have different cabs/mics in the left/right slots and also have the LINK=ON setting.

Last edited:
Scrutinizer is the man -- I downloaded V 9.01b an hour before leaving for my gig Saturday. Dialed blocks in 90% of dozens of unique patches, and breezed through the gig.

This iPad editor is the BEST way to dial firmware upgrades to patches you've already created.

When I originally designed the Cab page I assumed that if the user selects LINK=ON, the user wants to use the same cab and mic on left and right. So I felt there was no need to show the Cab Right and Mic Right buttons in that condition. It did not occur to me that there might be presets that have different cabs/mics in the left/right slots and also have the LINK=ON setting.
Thanks for the tip, I edited the script to show me both L&R when Link is ON. I might want to use different cabs but test the same mics on them or the other way around. With the Link ON if I select the Left side, than on the AxeFX both L&R becomes the same but doesn't refreshes the display for the Right side on the Lemur template. I still try to figure it out how to make that happen.

Thanks for the tip, I edited the script to show me both L&R when Link is ON. I might want to use different cabs but test the same mics on them or the other way around. With the Link ON if I select the Left side, than on the AxeFX both L&R becomes the same but doesn't refreshes the display for the Right side on the Lemur template. I still try to figure it out how to make that happen.
Yes, that was the main reason why the right side cab and mic were originally hidden when MODE=STEREO and LINK=ON. It was easy to hide the buttons once I realized how difficult it would be to keep it in sync 100% of the time.

If you look for it, you will find other situations where changing one parameter in Axe for Lemur will result in many parameters changing on the AxeFX hardware. A great example is the Amp Type parameter - when you change it in the template the AxeFX automatically sets some other amp block parameters to the default values for that amp type. On one hand it would be nice if the template automatically queried the amp block parameters each time one changed the amp type ... but this would cause a usability problem if the user wants to rapidly switch between different amp types. The query sequence needs to finish before the user can change to another amp type.

OK, I've done it. If Link is ON than Mic R and Cab Right is visible. If you set Mic L or Cab Left than the Mic R or Cab Right is updated also (only the button's text, the actual change of the right Mic or Cab type is done automatically by the AxeFX). If you change the right Mic or Cab, only the right Mic or Cab is changed and the button's text updated.
Now it works as the front panel of the AxeFX.
I would like to share it but I need Scrutinizer's permission.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
OK, I've done it. If Link is ON than Mic R and Cab Right is visible. If you set Mic L or Cab Left than the Mic R or Cab Right is updated also (only the button's text, the actual change of the right Mic or Cab type is done automatically by the AxeFX). If you change the right Mic or Cab, only the right Mic or Cab is changed and the button's text updated.
Now it works as the front panel of the AxeFX.
I would like to share it but I need Scrutinizer's permission.
Feel free to share your modified template. Copying the text is an elegant solution, wish I had thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom