Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

It probably will not work, for two reasons. First, that gadget seems to support only USB storage devices.

Second, there is the problem of the initializing the AxeII USB interface. It does not show up as a class-compliant USB device when first powered up. Needs to be connected to a PC or Mac so the AxeII driver can load firmware into the USB interface chip.

Hey David,
Have you tried this gizmo? Do you think it might allow wireless link between the iPad and the Axe without a computer?

HyperDrive iUSBport

Give me a $100 and I'll let you know (joking). That's a cool solution.

Just went to Malmoe, Sweden and saw Todd Rundgren yesterday evening. HP touch-screens running Ableton Live with Lemur interface. I'm on.

It probably will not work, for two reasons. First, that gadget seems to support only USB storage devices.

Second, there is the problem of the initializing the AxeII USB interface. It does not show up as a class-compliant USB device when first powered up. Needs to be connected to a PC or Mac so the AxeII driver can load firmware into the USB interface chip.

Bummer!

Just went to Malmoe, Sweden and saw Todd Rundgren yesterday evening. HP touch-screens running Ableton Live with Lemur interface. I'm on.
I'm glad the forum is waking up to this editor. I'm waiting for Cliff to wake up. I've messaged him about the Lemur editor and the fact that David is between jobs.

Disclaimer: I want axe-edit team to succeed. I believe in a full-feature desktop editor. I believe Cliff is trying hard to make axe-edit happen. But I also believe a Lemur based tablet editor should be part of Fractal's products.

David has been putting out a tablet editor for a year, doing it while in sub-optimal health, and continuing to do it while in need of surgery. His product is stable, fast, intuitive, flexible, and is typically out within 48 hours of a firmware upgrade even though he knows as little about the upgrade as we do. I think the message is clear: He could be working for Fractal.

Meanwhile Fractal is on its second axe-edit team after cranking out multiple iterations of a desktop editor that still manages to mangle people's presets. Why Cliff overlooked David when he hired axe-edit team B is a mystery to me. David has demonstrated creativity, problem solving, interface chops, effectiveness, timeliness and ability to communicate. A tablet editor is a perfect add-on to Fractal's solution-based products, and I'm guessing David would be as effective helping with axe-edit as he was in the team who created an IC that ended up in the iPhone.

Rant over. IMO, AFAIK, no offense intended, etc. Just seems like a natural combo to me.

All kudo's to Fractal making a computer-interface that actually works. Remembering all the hazzles TC have had with the G-System.
And yes, programming often hit's the hard whining door when it comes to interfacing. But I'm convinced that this can be solved.
But Lemur could make it possible to make a personalized template for the most critical Axe presets used in a gig - easily tweaked if stomping between presets just isn't enough.

Does Axe for Lemur work with a Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II? It says it's CoreMIDI compliant.
MIDI Interface for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch | MIDI Mobilizer | Line 6
I think Lemur is CoreMIDI compliant.
Has anyone been using these?
If so, have you tried plugging in the MIDI cables to the front of your MFC-101?
The MIDI Mobilizer II supports SysEx & CoreMIDI, so it should work. I do not have the MIDI Mobilizer II , so cannot test it here.

To use the iPad w/ hardware midi interface and your MFC-101 at the same time, using midi cables and no wifi:
Need a MIDI merge box to merge iPad midi out with the MFC101 midi out
Need a MIDI Thru box to be able to connect the AxeFX MIDI out to both iPad and MFC101 midi input

The WiFi connection is much easier. And much less expensive!

The latest version of Lemur seems to be more stable than earlier versions. Make sure you are using the latest version on both machines (computer and iPad).

Perhaps this is another symptom of a problem USB cable ... I see many threads about problems with AxeII firmware updates that are eventually solved by swapping the USB cable. I've noticed the Lemur Daemon will not always auto-connect to a external MIDI device if the device is unplugged and then re-connected. If the cable or connecter loses connection even for a split second, the Lemur Daemon might not recover, and you would see this as a dropped connection.

Try a different USB cable. Use a short USB cable is possible rather than a long one. Try inserting a USB hub between the computer and AxeFX. If you have neighbors who have WiFi routers, your WiFi bandwidth might be improved by switching to a WiFi channel that is not being used by the neighbors.

What is your setup? (Mac or PC, operating system, iPad IOS version, iPad version?)

I am using PC windows 8 with mini ipad v6.1.3 latest version of Lemur Daeon 4.0.3. Getting lots of dropouts. I have to go to settings and disconnect Lemur out 0 and reconnect. Usually it drops out within a few minutes, sometimes I get a lot longer. I am connecting the ipad to my pc via home wireless network, no cable.

Enjoying your latest version, but get the same dropouts. Thanks again for your continued excellent work!

I am using PC windows 8 with mini ipad v6.1.3 latest version of Lemur Daeon 4.0.3. Getting lots of dropouts. I have to go to settings and disconnect Lemur out 0 and reconnect. Usually it drops out within a few minutes, sometimes I get a lot longer. I am connecting the ipad to my pc via home wireless network, no cable.

Enjoying your latest version, but get the same dropouts. Thanks again for your continued excellent work!
Max.Ax, I am not sure what is causing that problem. I usually have the AxeFXII connected to my MacBook running OSX 10.7.5. My PC has both Win7 and Win8 installed. I have been using Win7 because of Win8 driver compatibility issue with other hardware.

But I wanted to check Win8 again with the template. So I upgraded all the software on the Win8 partition, installed the AxeII driver and Lemur 4.03 using Win7 compatibility mode, running the installers as administrator. My iPad2 sees the Lemur Daemon running on Win8, successfully connects and communicates with the Axe-FX II. The connection is stable, has been running solidly for almost an hour.

If the problem continues, you should contact Liine support. Perhaps they have seen the problem before and have a way to fix it.

I'm not into the fruity computer stuff but this is the best excuse for getting an iPad if I ever saw one :D

Hello. Did someone tried last Axe for Lemur template with FW 11 beta? Does it works? I understood that Fw 11 doesn't have any changes in interface and controls.

Can't seem to get my Lemur template running for some reason. The Daemon seems ok and I can change patches from Lemur but I can't load anything to the Lemur template. Any thoughts?

Can't seem to get my Lemur template running for some reason. The Daemon seems ok and I can change patches from Lemur but I can't load anything to the Lemur template. Any thoughts?
I can't make out the text in your sig picture, are you using Mac or PC? What operating system are you using on the computer and iPad?

On the preset page, look for the "Debug" numbers. What are the numbers there? It should be {0, 0} when the template is not actively querying the AxeFXII.

Looks like the template is sending but not receiving MIDI from the AxeII. On the iPad, in the Lemur app, open Settings and make sure you have MIDI target set under both "TO" and "FROM". If you see red text, try re-selecting the target.

Also try quitting and re-starting the Lemur Daemon on the computer. I have to do this sometimes after waking my MacBook from sleep.

I can't make out the text in your sig picture, are you using Mac or PC? What operating system are you using on the computer and iPad?

On the preset page, look for the "Debug" numbers. What are the numbers there? It should be {0, 0} when the template is not actively querying the AxeFXII.

Looks like the template is sending but not receiving MIDI from the AxeII. On the iPad, in the Lemur app, open Settings and make sure you have MIDI target set under both "TO" and "FROM". If you see red text, try re-selecting the target.

Also try quitting and re-starting the Lemur Daemon on the computer. I have to do this sometimes after waking my MacBook from sleep.

Hello

I'm on MAC OS 10.7.5. with AxefxII connected via usb (driver 1.6.7) and no other midi devices connected. On fresh reboot, Lemur template 3.06 on Ipad 3 seems to connect fine to the daemon (local out to Lemur in / local in from Lemur out). Tested midi connection with Axe Edit and it works fine. When syncing (manual or auto) Lemur does not receive most data and displays debug code (1,8). Patch up/down works fine and tap tempo + patch name comes thru but no parameters come thru. Weird - it used to work fine.

I also tried with my EMU midi cable instead of AxeFx Usb midi. Similar issue (AxeEdit works fine but Lemur cannot receive data). Not sure why but with EMU, Lemur settings does not list a "Midi Out" on the "From" side (just Midi In), and does not list a "Midi In" on the "To" side (just midi out) - this seems reversed but the behaviour and return codes (1,8) is the same as with Axe usb.

Have you tried with Axe NOT hooked up usb with Emu cable? I run using a MidiUno interface cable with CCK to lightning connector a lot and it works fine. The hookup is almost always automatic if that's the last way I connected, so it's live right when I enter the Lemur editor. The connection is also quite reliable and I rarely have to go to the connection page in Lemur to reselect the MidiUno. It's a bit slow to refresh, so the interface isn't instantaneous (can see the dots filling in when changing patches or effects), but it works super reliably and I don't have to mess with the daemon. I run 10.7.5 on one Mac and 10.8.whatever on another and I find the daemon occasionally loses me. My fix is usually to shutdown and restart the daemon and then it's recognized again. Sometimes I run wireless and it definitely works faster that way, but the wired midi way hooks up more reliably if slower.

Hello

I'm on MAC OS 10.7.5. with AxefxII connected via usb (driver 1.6.7) and no other midi devices connected. On fresh reboot, Lemur template 3.06 on Ipad 3 seems to connect fine to the daemon (local out to Lemur in / local in from Lemur out). Tested midi connection with Axe Edit and it works fine. When syncing (manual or auto) Lemur does not receive most data and displays debug code (1,8). Patch up/down works fine and tap tempo + patch name comes thru but no parameters come thru. Weird - it used to work fine.

I also tried with my EMU midi cable instead of AxeFx Usb midi. Similar issue (AxeEdit works fine but Lemur cannot receive data). Not sure why but with EMU, Lemur settings does not list a "Midi Out" on the "From" side (just Midi In), and does not list a "Midi In" on the "To" side (just midi out) - this seems reversed but the behaviour and return codes (1,8) is the same as with Axe usb.

Have you tried with Axe NOT hooked up usb with Emu cable? I run using a MidiUno interface cable with CCK to lightning connector a lot and it works fine. The hookup is almost always automatic if that's the last way I connected, so it's live right when I enter the Lemur editor. The connection is also quite reliable and I rarely have to go to the connection page in Lemur to reselect the MidiUno. It's a bit slow to refresh, so the interface isn't instantaneous (can see the dots filling in when changing patches or effects), but it works super reliably and I don't have to mess with the daemon. I run 10.7.5 on one Mac and 10.8.whatever on another and I find the daemon occasionally loses me. My fix is usually to shutdown and restart the daemon and then it's recognized again. Sometimes I run wireless and it definitely works faster that way, but the wired midi way hooks up more reliably if slower.

Thanks Mikey - Yes - when doing my tests under Emu I had the AxeFx Usb disconnected and vise versa to ensure no conflict and had re-booted / re-started for each test, though for Axe edit I can have both usb and emu running and switch back and forth with no issues other than having to restart and reset settings in Axe Edit. As is your experience, when I was running Lemur before with Emu and Usb Midi it was very reliable. Something has changed in my system but I can't find what (something silly I'm sure but a head scratcher right now)

*edit* Solved- Lemur desktop and ipad apps need to be on same major version number. If using Lemur 3.xx Desktop app with iPad Lemur app 4.xx there will be sync and communication issues.

Near as I can tell I've experienced a degradation in Lemur performance since going to 3.06.

3.05 was working with zero issues with axefx driver 167 and FW 11b. I redialed my entire show and a dialed a friends afx rig. This was on two macs running 167 and FW 11b. And two iPad 3s running lemur 4.1 and editor 3.05. One mac has 10.7.x and I'm on 10.8.x

Since moving to 3.06, iPad 2way midi started degrading, first on my friends iPad because we were using it primarily. So we switched to mine which was working with 3.06 driver 167 on his system. After a couple sessions (dialing, then launching & dialing another day) it was working as poorly as his.

After working with my iPad extensively on both Macs, it's no receiving no midi despite re-launching, re-connecting and despite lemur daemon and USB audio seeing the axe-fx on both mac system USB...audio is fine.

I went back to earlier axe-fx driver 150 and back to a 2011 axefx driver, and also went back to lemur editor 3.05, all the while rebooting axe-fx, rebooting computer, relaunching lemur daemon. Everything is working except Lemur editor does not receive data from axe-fx: manual with "get all" or with press/hold on any block, nor with autosync.

Since it doesn't seem to be related to axe-fx driver or daemon or version of Mac OS since those all work, it might be a Lemur corruption of some sort. I'll reinstall Lemur iPad app and reload templates 3.05 and 3.06 and go from there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom