Axe for Lemur ready for beta testers

Thanks guys!

To be perfectly honest, I've been able to do lots of work on my hobbies and home improvement because I have free time right now. I was recently laid off from the job I've had for 15 years. I was an apps engineer for a large IC manufacturer. I designed eval boards and eval software, validated new silicon, wrote datasheets and app notes. My employer recently gave me an award for my part in getting one of 'my' ICs designed into a high-volume device made by some fruity cellphone maker. But I was working at a remote location and this office was eliminated during a ~20% across-the-board layoff. I have no regrets and no hard feelings, though.

So I am technically unemployed starting yesterday. Feels very strange.

And if that was not enough my esophagus problem has been getting worse, I've lost about 30 pounds since Axe Fest. It's really difficult to eat due to the nausea that accompanies eating. The nausea meds just are not doing the trick anymore. Fortunately, there is a simple surgery that will help. It's an upper endoscopy to stretch the esophagus with a balloon. Totally painless, very low risk, and last time it made a huge difference in the way I felt after eating. In fact I just saw my surgeon this morning to review last week's test results (barium swallow xray, esophageal motility test) and based on those results he wants to do the surgery again, asap. Tentatively scheduled for early June, but man I wish it were sooner.

David I am so sorry to hear about your illness. I am shocked you even had 30 lbs to lose. I hope you get that resolved shortly. My IT dept is cutting 30-40% this year so I know how that goes too. It's a sign of the times. For me it's kind of a blessing as I was going to retire but now I can be laid off. Our company gives us a weeks pay for every year of service and I have 28 in so it's a nice little handshake. You are a brilliant guy and I have no doubts you will find work soon if you are wishing to. Just take care of your health first my friend. There is nothing more important. Holler if you need anything!

Thanks for the support guys. It's was a very difficult week this last week, but I'm feeling pretty good this morning.

I see that Liine released Lemur v4.03 a few days ago. I've not had the energy to do any real testing, but it looks like this new version has fixed the problems with incoming sysex messages. I am seeing 100% incoming sysex success, where before I was seeing success rates of 90% to 96%.

I have figured out a way to add support for modifiers. Have not worked at all on this in more than a week, but I had made great progress up to that point:

• Added support for the MIDI messages that set/get modifiers
  • Mapped out all modifiable parameters in the AxeII and Ultra
  • Made low level changes so each control in the template includes info about whether or not it can be modified
  • Improved the get-all/auto-sync sequencer to query the modifier source of modifiable parameters (so the template can determine whether the parameter is or is not modified)
  • Implemented a scheme to identify modifiable controls in the user interface: Template changes the color of the text above the fader or knob. White = cannot be modified. Green = can be modified. Red = modifier is attached.
  • Implemented double-tap detection which looks for double taps on the modifiable faders and knobs, then opens the Modifier Dialog
  • Started designing the Modifier Dialog control layout

So it is almost done! I have work to do on the modifier dialog design and also will add a sequencer that queries the modifier values (Min, Max, Start, End, etc).

Hi, thanks for working on this. I followed your install instructions and all seemed to connect ok through my pc, but there is one problem. When I open AxeForLemur.2.06.jzml in the editor, I seem to have a zoomed in view of faders, and it's the same view on the ipad. I don't seem have access to the full page.

All else seems to be ok. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2013-05-17_1802.jpg
    2013-05-17_1802.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 32
Hi, thanks for working on this. I followed your install instructions and all seemed to connect ok through my pc, but there is one problem. When I open AxeForLemur.2.06.jzml in the editor, I seem to have a zoomed in view of faders, and it's the same view on the ipad. I don't seem have access to the full page.

All else seems to be ok. Any thoughts?
I've never seen that, or heard of anyone seeing a similar problem.

If you open one of the Lemur factory templates or another user made template downloaded from Liine's website, does it show correctly in the Lemur Editor and/or iPad?

*EDIT*

after downloading and installing several times, I now have it working. Odd issue, maybe corrupt download? But great app. Thanks for your had work.

Last edited:
Great app, but I notice my ipad is losing connection within a few minutes of loading up. The To: AXE-FX II MIDI In seems to lose connection. If I disconnect and reconnect again it's all good, but it seems to happen every few minutes. My laptop never seems to lose wifi connecton. Has anyone else noticed this on their system? Or is this likely to be an issue with my wi-fi connection?

Great app, but I notice my ipad is losing connection within a few minutes of loading up. The To: AXE-FX II MIDI In seems to lose connection. If I disconnect and reconnect again it's all good, but it seems to happen every few minutes. My laptop never seems to lose wifi connecton. Has anyone else noticed this on their system? Or is this likely to be an issue with my wi-fi connection?
The latest version of Lemur seems to be more stable than earlier versions. Make sure you are using the latest version on both machines (computer and iPad).

Perhaps this is another symptom of a problem USB cable ... I see many threads about problems with AxeII firmware updates that are eventually solved by swapping the USB cable. I've noticed the Lemur Daemon will not always auto-connect to a external MIDI device if the device is unplugged and then re-connected. If the cable or connecter loses connection even for a split second, the Lemur Daemon might not recover, and you would see this as a dropped connection.

Try a different USB cable. Use a short USB cable is possible rather than a long one. Try inserting a USB hub between the computer and AxeFX. If you have neighbors who have WiFi routers, your WiFi bandwidth might be improved by switching to a WiFi channel that is not being used by the neighbors.

What is your setup? (Mac or PC, operating system, iPad IOS version, iPad version?)

Scrutinizer, I'm sorry to hear about your health & job situation. Thanks for your great work on this and contributions here ... class act.

I showed my (paypal) support and suggest anyone else using this fine tool to follow suit, it really is quite nice.

Best of luck & health.

Last edited:
Thanks! Two more weeks til the surgery, I'm hanging in there.

Here's a teaser of version 3.00
IMG_0350.PNG

IMG_0347.PNG

IMG_0348.PNG

IMG_0349.PNG

Hey dude, been using lemur for the past week with your axe template! Thanks so much for all your hard work! Really really appreciate it. All the best with your health.

Quick question...I'm using it with an ultra. How come I can't see the amp type :S

Hey dude, been using lemur for the past week with your axe template! Thanks so much for all your hard work! Really really appreciate it. All the best with your health.

Quick question...I'm using it with an ultra. How come I can't see the amp type :S
It is not possible to query the amp type on the Standrd/Ultra without clobbering many of the amp parameters. The parameters that are clobbered are the same ones that change when you change amp type from the Axe front panel. No easy fix for this, unfortunately.

Wow! 3.0 looks stunning! Looking forward to it David. But more importantly looking forward to your feeling better. Good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Unbelievable mate, totally great! I can't wait to have a shot of this, i hope everything goes best for you :) We will ALL be thinking about you!

Back
Top Bottom