AXE + Focal CM65 - Genelec 8040 - Dynaudio BM12A

sprada

Inspired
Short story is:
Bought in a hurry a pair of Yamaha hs50m that I'm not to happy about. So I've been searching on some nice deals since.

There's 2 of them near me for used Genelec 8040 and Dynaudio BM12A.
Also there's the FocalsCM65 that everyone talks about.

I have no way of trying some Focals.

What do you guys think? any clear "winner" here?
Any other model I should be looking into?

My budget is around 1500€ (it can be a little stretched if justified).

Cheers.

Hi,
You'll probably get many diverting answers on this and I might get flamed for my opinion, but here goes:

To me the Dynaudio BM12A is a very very very very (you get the picture) clear winner, among the 3 you mentioned above.

If you can strech your budget to 1899€ then the sE Munro The Egg 150 ( SE Electronics The sE Munro Egg 150 - Thomann Cyberstore Português ) is a truely great option.

I know some will beg to differ with me, but after testing and using many nearfield monitors I find the Focals very bland and uninspirational to be honest. Another forum favorite is the Adam A7 line, they are good monitors and initially seductive to many, but they are quite hyped in the top and to me induces ear fatique early on compared to the Dynaudio range.

Just IMHO, YMMV and so on
Hope this helps
RB

As RB said, differing opinion.... I would go with the Genelecs any day. I personally use the 8030s in my studio at home and am about to upgrade to the 8050s and pass my 8030s to my wife's edit suite. I like the Dynaudio and Focals as well, but as far as accurate reference, the Genelecs are really hard to beat IMO.

Gear is awesome... There's always something "better" for a few bucks more.
Buying gear is also awesome.. even when you realize that you just spent a lot more than you were supposed to.

Found a really nice price on a pair of Focal Solo 6BE (tks guitarz). Couldn't say no. Sooooo pumped up.

Now I'm just waiting on the whole coaxial CLR, Matrix, RCF novel to end so I can buy one of them and then that's it. I won't spent another $/€ after.

I swear.... :D

Sweetwater has 18 mos no interest on Focal right now. I have been happy with my Tannoy Reveal (Older Teal model) in my studio.

Hi,
You'll probably get many diverting answers on this and I might get flamed for my opinion, but here goes:

To me the Dynaudio BM12A is a very very very very (you get the picture) clear winner, among the 3 you mentioned above.

If you can strech your budget to 1899€ then the sE Munro The Egg 150 ( SE Electronics The sE Munro Egg 150 - Thomann Cyberstore Português ) is a truely great option.

I know some will beg to differ with me, but after testing and using many nearfield monitors I find the Focals very bland and uninspirational to be honest. Another forum favorite is the Adam A7 line, they are good monitors and initially seductive to many, but they are quite hyped in the top and to me induces ear fatique early on compared to the Dynaudio range.

Just IMHO, YMMV and so on
Hope this helps
RB

In light of the information in the video below, and considering the Munros are about the same price as the Dynaudio BM15s, I'd go for the Munros.

In light of the information in the video below, and considering the Munros are about the same price as the Dynaudio BM15s, I'd go for the Munros.

I´d go for the Munros as well, that's why I suggested them in the first place.
The OP was asking about 3 specific monitors and among them the Dynaudio BM12A (not the BM15A that you refer to) so that's what I answered first - then suggested the Se Munros as an alternative (better) option.
One important thing to notice is that the OP is from Portugal, and the European prices vary a lot from the US prices on these products, so what might be almost the same price in the US might be priced very differently in Europe.
I get from the #1 post that the OP might have "nice deals" available on the monitors he mentioned, but he didn't tell how "nice" the deals were.

Not that all the above really matters now as the OP has bought a set of Focals in the meantime - I hope he enjoys them.

Sweetwater has 18 mos no interest on Focal right now.

18 mos? sorry didn't get that.

The Genelecs were sold when I asked and decided that the Dynaudios were too big for my room.
While I was looking for The Focal CMS65 there was a chance to grab a pair of new Focal Solo6BE for not much more than my initial budget. Easy decision.
That Munros look reeeeeally good too.
The Solos should arrive today, maybe tomorrow.

Good choice on the Solo's. I got a chance to do some critical listening in a treated room. I liked those better than the CS line. The CS65's are quite good but just different compared to the Solo.

I am on the hunt to test out some Twins. I lot of folks really like them.

I am currently using the original Krock speakers with an Adcom amp and have been quite happy with them especially considering the price.

Back
Top Bottom