Axe Fest West Coast 2012 Video Comments Thread

Speaking of, I have a question for James or anyone who may know. What pickups are in the strat used in that presentation? I haven't had a chance to load those patches/ir's yet and was curious. Thanks again!

That guitar has a set of pickups that were made by Rob Timmins of Arcane Pickups. He has a shop in town here at Third Encore studios and does everything the old school way. I spec'd out a few special things in all 3 pickups that blend alnico 3, 5 and even 8. I really wanted one guitar that could be warm like a 60's era strat in the neck, but super airy in the bridge while being meaty enough to handle high-gain.

To anyone who sat through that entire thing, my apologies for rambling. Nothing worse than when I get all worked up on coffee and tone chasing. ;)

Last edited:
James - No need to apologize! I just watched the entire video and thoroughly enjoyed it while learning a lot about the fine art of IRs. Your IRs are amazing as is "Family Tree" (I plan to download it). Thank you for your generous contribution of time and talent to the Fractal family.

@Lawrence:

A very cool Tone Matching Lesson and a sympathetic performance - thank you and thank's to Cobbler for sharing the Videos!

Greetings from Germany!

To anyone who sat through that entire thing, my apologies for rambling. Nothing worse than when I get all worked up on coffee and tone chasing. ;)

Ah.. So if I ever run into you all I have to do is mention something like "EJ's latest tones aren't the same as his earlier tones. What did he change and why?" <evil grin - tooth sparkle - rubs hands in a sinister fashion and stares looking for a reaction> "Oh and btw, would you like cup of coffee?" And then you'd spill All the beans?! Btw, what's your favorite blend? :twisted

All joking aside, I love your methodical approach leaving no stone unturned. I'd go broke in Starbucks if coffee kept you talking.

Thanks again

Sorry guys. Unfortunately life gets in the way. Jack is currently working on Cliff and Matts presentation on Gain, Tone, Dynamics, Advanced Params, and Interactives. This presentation was well over an hour and it takes a lot of time to go through different camera angles not to mention incorporating all the question and answer footage. Following that we will get to the Amp Matching presentation, Dweezil and Matts dynoflanger presentation, and then Tosins performance. That will conclude day one. I am working on some of the day two stuff but I am a total newbie at the editing thing but it’s coming along. I have to tell you, I have utmost and newfound respect for Jack and anyone in the editing business. It is tedious and time consuming.

Again, we have real world jobs and families. We had a lot of make-up to do due to the time taken off to actually put together the Fest in the first place. We have not given up but simply ask for your patience. They are forthcoming.

PS. We do actually like to pick up our guitars and practice/play every so often too! :)

Last edited:
waiting.jpg

;)

I feel redundant saying how much I enjoyed the videos. Can't wait to see the others I hear might be coming. This is great for newer axe users who don't know as much. When Scott was having M@ flip between the IRs it was amazing the difference in sound. And then the discussion of chasing IR tone by James Santiago -- that was amazing. He got some really great sounds. The only video I wasn't crazy about was Wes - as it was like uncomfortable to like hear him like talk, like, you know? ungh. :) It's what I get for having a teenager in the house.

Great stuff though. So much fun to watch. This should be stickied somewhere so that we can come back and watch them anytime. Can't wait for the 10.0 and the new IRs - simply incredible that it can improve so much without swapping out all the hardware. Without a doubt, worth every penny and probably the best tech device I've ever bought.

I'd have sat through 2 hours or more. I've never chased tone and it was a great perspective to see and hear about your adventures, what you wanted and hear how things could change the sound so much. Thank you so much for your time and experience.

Calling for a single camera shot release of the unedited vids. The info is gonna be irrelevant by the time we get to see the edited vids. Very few care about all the slick production that turned into such a chore and is taking an eternity. Just release the raw footage and be done with it. Monkey will be off your backs and many will benefit. This is all IMHO of course.

Back
Top Bottom