Axe Fest West Coast 2012 Video Comments Thread

Great videos, keep 'em coming! :)
A big thank you to all you good people who contributed, both in front and behind camera.

Per

I have a question to Scott regarding the use of the reverb block instead of the room parameters in the cab block. I understand from your presentation that you get better results from the reverb block for the 'amp in the room feeling'.
Can you give more detail why that is? As far as I understand it the room parameters are especially made for this purpose?
Thank you in advance.

Fantastic presentation BTW - maybe all these presentations should become a part of the fractal wiki if there are not already? I am certain it would help many users dialling in their sound.

Really enjoyed the vids! But the word "like" is used too much nowadays it seems!
Santiago's was really enlightening!
Looking forward to more.
Thanks for everyones hard work!

Cobbler these videos are fantastic. THANK YOU!
Scott your presentation was FANTASTIC and clear. Really lovely. Thank you so much. Gonna add reverb to my patches now :)
James was also phenomenal and those tones!

In summary thank you to all of you involved. REALLY REALLY appreciated.

I can only take credit for begging for help and being wise enough to take Jack up on his offer to volunteer. He was behind the cameras the whole fest and has painstakingly edited the footage from various sources. His name is videovis here on the forum and we all owe him a ton!

The Axe Fest all came together within a matter of weeks and its success and the quality of these vids is a testament to all those who pitched in to make it happen.

As far as I understand it the room parameters are especially made for this purpose?

Room sound

Sense of space is where many direct guitar tones fall short. You can nail an amp and cabinet's overall tone, but wonder why it falls short of sounding 3D with sense of space and air.
I'd like to see FAS work at offering better spacial control for early room ambience. I'm not saying the AXE-FX II does not offer decent room ambience, it's better than any other modeler..
Maybe work on ROOM reverb IRs that offer control for adding an openness that leads to creating that 3D information that many units lack, they only offer what sounds like an amp with reverb.
If anyone has found a way of creating this (in the box), please let me know.

Room sound

Sense of space is where many direct guitar tones fall short. You can nail an amp and cabinet's overall tone, but wonder why it falls short of sounding 3D with sense of space and air.
I'd like to see FAS work at offering better spacial control for early room ambience. I'm not saying the AXE-FX II does not offer decent room ambience, it's better than any other modeler..
Maybe work on ROOM reverb IRs that offer control for adding an openness that leads to creating that 3D information that many units lack, they only offer what sounds like an amp with reverb.
If anyone has found a way of creating this (in the box), please let me know.

IIRC, Cliff wanted to do just that and expressed an interest in taking out the room param in cab block. I think we all bitched and he caved, lol. Valid point. A room ir could be used either in the DAW (really the only reason to use a room ir) or in the box. For live, a room ir would cloud it up. But I still use a little room in all my patches in the cab block. Yes I'm cloudy..
I'm doing a WDW FRFR now a days, and dont know when I'll ever fire up my 4 EVM12L's again.
The Carol Ann rocks so much,,, waiting on that 2Rock,,,
It's just
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZa82fViqbQ

Last edited:
IIRC, Cliff wanted to do just that and expressed an interest in taking out the room param in cab block. I think we all bitched and he caved, lol. Valid point. A room ir could be used either in the DAW (really the only reason to use a room ir) or in the box. For live, a room ir would cloud it up. But I still use a little room in all my patches in the cab block. Yes I'm cloudy..
I'm doing a WDW FRFR now a days, and dont know when I'll ever fire up my 4 EVM12L's again.
The Carol Ann rocks so much,,, waiting on that 2Rock,,,
It's just
youtube poop: Tenacious juicy - YouTube

Thanks Dramelot!

Yes,
I've got my fingers crossed that Cliff implements this in the AXE-FX II. This would offer an all-in-one solution for creating "your" tone in a real space.
True I can already do this with plugins while I'm mixing, but to actually have this all integrated for recording and playing out would be the shit.
Yes, if you're playing out and the room is too live, maybe a master global to have access to the room IR mix control.

Thanks guys for everything. Just using Scott's quick tips ALL my amps sound better. I had no idea you could juice the front of the amp. My cleans now...forget it! The missing puzzle piece.

One of these this winter in sunny FLA would be awesome...hint, hint :) A nice vacation for you guys in Orlando with a couple days of Axe-Fest South thrown in? Orlando has EVERYTHING, it's centrally located in the state and close enough to the major cities (Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, Atlanta) to make it doable for anyone interested. TONS of meeting space choices too.

I have a question to Scott regarding the use of the reverb block instead of the room parameters in the cab block. I understand from your presentation that you get better results from the reverb block for the 'amp in the room feeling'.
Can you give more detail why that is? As far as I understand it the room parameters are especially made for this purpose?
Thank you in advance.

Fantastic presentation BTW - maybe all these presentations should become a part of the fractal wiki if there are not already? I am certain it would help many users dialling in their sound.

I do not know if I've answered this on another thread.

The 'room' parameters in the cab block do not do what I want them to do; the parameters and settings in the reverb block do. I have learned/borrowed/stole James Santiago's reverb block from the presets he shared and tweaked them to my purposes. The keys to them (as I use them) are simple - Large Plate, -40db on early reflection level; 0db on Reverb level; parallel routing (Note: Mix at 100%, Bypass is "effect block in" and set the wet percentage with the Level parameter to taste) and I use an expression pedal attacked to the "Ingain" parameter to control my actual mix of reverb on the fly. I roll in just enough, no more.

I actually really like the cab: room
to my tastes it does just enough to smooth things out and add a little 'stuff'
but it seems to do it without being obvious or intrusive
that leaves the rev block to handle all the big cathedral stuff

Wes Hauch's play through was really tight and he uses a very different setup to most metal players. I'd love to see his patch to see how he dial's in those amps to sound like that.

Thanks to everyone involved for making these vids possible. I'm really enjoying them. I loved James's presentation and am really looking forward to more of his stuff!

Speaking of, I have a question for James or anyone who may know. What pickups are in the strat used in that presentation? I haven't had a chance to load those patches/ir's yet and was curious. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom