Axe-fest Germany 2015 | Marshall 1960AX Greenback loaded now available

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Hi IR lovers,

seven weeks ago the Axe-Fest Germany 2015 ends and now the first Cab-Pack is finsiehd and released, which starts weeks ago here, did you remember? ...Wow, this was some work, but if you do it - do it right, right? ...

MR-1960AX-G12M25 - Marshall 4x12" 1960AX, loaded with Celestion G12M25 Greenbacks

public.php

So, before i fall into Marketing blabla, just a short fresh up, how this works best:

Allright:

There are RAW imperfect phase IRs, `idealized` minimal phase transform Mix IRs, six microphones, captures of each speaker, rear cabinet captures, MIC+DI `idealized FLAT Amp` IRs, MIC only Tube Amp IRs, my own creation of so called `virtual Amp voicing` IRs, 6 Power-Amp flavors (including the colorless MIC+DI variant), blah blah, ... and so on! And before i did forget it: SET THE LOW RESONANCE TO 114HZ WITH THESE IRs, if you like it correct!!! :)

• 35 single-mic IRs (RAW / MPT)
  • per speaker 20 Mix-IRs (10x MPT / 10xRAW) = 80 MIx IRs
  • These 115 IRs multiplicated with 6 Amp-voicings (or NO voicing...)

= 690 unique IRs total ... lot`s of Rock`n roll included ... haha... OMG, yes, much stuff... but well sorted!

And because this was lot`s of work it`s one more reason to grab the awesome Cab-Lab3! IOW: It`s not for free *ugh ... but it`s Kraut-Engineered and Made in Germany :lol!

So check out here for more informations
, laugh about the badest english you ever read, read the PDF-manual and the About-virtual-power-amp-voicings.PDF in funniest english ever and give this pack a try!

All the best
Markus

looking good!!!!!!!!!!! just wish my snail computer would load this monster(got to kick the kids off the net I guess)! cant wait

If I understand well your documentation , it is not possible to use these IR with the AXE FX II if we don't own Cab-Lab already ?????
I ask because I am really considering purchasing your pack, which would be a premiere for me, but I don't (at the moment) own Cab-Lab. (I must admit I never really intend to make IR mix by myself)

Thanks for such a great job
(Next time, Please make the same with an old Vox AC30 fitted with an alnico blue and silver , PLEAAAAASE !! I am a big fan of your SM57 N from the previous Axe FX Fest :mrgreen )

If I understand well your documentation , it is not possible to use these IR with the AXE FX II if we don't own Cab-Lab already ?????

Thats unfortunately correct because of licence agreements. I think it would be legal to convert to Hi-res, but i did`nt do it, because of three reasons:
1) who want to use Hi-res these times with the Axe-Fx?
2) It would blow up the file size from right now 88MB to ... even more MB, and not everyone has a high-speed internet-connection, right?
3) I was never a fan of CabLab2, but CabLab3 is really awesome and extremely comfortable to use. I know, that many people like good "ready to mix" IRs to get fast satisfying results. And this Cab-Pack will provide this, IMO. Custom mixing for own needs and wantings could be a rabbit hole, no doubt. But CL3 makes this rabbit hole fast, easy, and with the realtime visible mixing plots extremely good! IMO, this program should be a MUST HAVE for everyone, not only Axe-Fx Users, because you can use it on .wav Basis also. I really like it!

(Next time, Please make the same with an old Vox AC30 fitted with an alnico blue and silver , PLEAAAAASE !! I am a big fan of your SM57 N from the previous Axe FX Fest :mrgreen )

Man, the incredible blonde VOX AC30 with the Bluedogs was at the Axe-Fest 2015 again there! And i wanted it so badly ... but we did not have found enough time for all ... perhaps next time. The Combo is located 600km away from my location, but perhaps i`ll find ressources to do a weekend trip to Berlin .... haha. The Dude has also a 70ies MusicMan with EVM12L, awesome Clean tone! Not to mention the other guy with a 70ies Vibrolux, loaded with jensen P10R.... i fall in love with this Combo, when playing it at the german Axe-Fest! Hopefully, i find chances to capture them all ... awesome stuff!

"laugh about the badest english you ever read, read the PDF-manual and the About-virtual-power-amp-voicings.PDF in funniest english ever"

LOL

Will give 'm a try later this week. Thanks

"laugh about the badest english you ever read, read the PDF-manual and the About-virtual-power-amp-voicings.PDF in funniest english ever"

Man,... my deficiency english is ... ähhh ... not really funny ... haha ... :lol I think i learned more english by reading and writing here in THIS forum the last years, than ever in school ... so, thank you community! :) Englisch - Deutsch Wörterbuch - leo.org: Startseite is my friend all the day ... ;)

Those are really the goddamn best IRs, I ever heard from a Greenback-loaded 1960AX. If you are into Greenbacks, this IR-Pack is a "must have". Seriously. Frakin' awesome.

megaphone.jpg

:lol

At least, beside the different cabinet, this pack has less to do with what we have done last year with the Axe-Fest Germany 2014 Cab-Pack! This year the workload to finish this was tremendously higher! Last year we positioned the mics by eye, no MIC+DI, no acoustic treatments, less positions... totally different capture method.... so, i think i should give you some info`s whats happened behind the scenes ... haha

Some technical aspects for this Cab-Pack:

• to define sweet spots by ear, the actual mic. positions were auditioned through the Tube Power Amp, but in "virtual-idealized-FLAT-Amp voicing mode"!
  • .wav IRs are high resolution 500ms IRs (rear cabinets up to 750ms!)
  • MIC+DI method (idealized FLAT-Amp voicing) is realized in the "I"-IRs
  • MIC Only method with extreme Mesa 2:90 flavor is beside 4 further virtual Amp voicings parallel included ("T"-IRs)
  • The capturing location was not a studio, but a large room with well room acoustic (wood boarding walls, parquet floor). We increase the acoustic (room reflections) further more with some movable walls in front of the cab).
  • Single-mic IRs are included in both tecniques: Minimal phase transform (MPT) & "imperfect, authentic pre-delay and phase" (RAW).
  • All 4 speakers were captured with 6 industry standard mics (plus rear cabinet captures, blah blah), resulting in versatile flavors!
  • The Speaker-Mix IRs imclude 10 MPT & 10 RAW mixes per Speaker.
  • All (ALL!) IRs are in 6 power-amp-modes available (from colorless to full tube flavor)
  • Dismantling the Tube Power Amp DI answer of the current cab and recreate on this basis new "virtual Amp voicings" is never done before, IMO. This results in 4 new virtual Amp voicings, i described in the "about_virtual-power-amp-voicings.pdf" with visible plots included. What does this mean?:

For example: The "P"-voicing (I called it Push Amp haha...) combine the low-resonance thump of the Mesa (located for this dedicated cabinet at 114Hz), but the rest of the frequency bandwidth is FLAT MIC+DI:

Blue: "P"-voicing - Red: "T"-voicing - Green: "I"-voicing

public.php

The FLAT-green-line and the downer red line are the AMP DIs of the Actual Tube Amp respectively virtual-Idealized-FLAT-Amp. As you see, the BLUE IR frequency response get the "Thump" from the Tube Amp at the low-resonance frequency at 114Hz, but match the idealized Green (MIC+DI) IR-frequency response at ca. 187Hz. So, this is the IR with the "virtual-push-amp-voicing" ;). Got it? ;)

So, people who like increasing the low-res gain in the speaker page can get this similar effect now with higher impact built in the IR! That`s only one example of the different voicing modes this Cab-Pack contains...if you don`t like it - just stay with the well known "I" (MIC+DI) "NONE"-voicing ... 8) And this is just ONE voicing option....

So, ... IMO this Pack is a serious alternative and/or complementation to other libraries. It`s definitive no "toy toy" gimmick.... what the other Amp-voicings will do, you can read in the mentioned PDF on the product site...

As i said .... Kraut-engineered ... :ugeek:mrgreen

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer Morphosis. At least it is clear.
I have somewhere AOMDSP . I suppose that it will work for the conversion of the .wav IR to the axe FX (normaf resolution .syx).
I also already thought about purchasing cab-lab 3 (stand alone version) , even if I don't by far need it daily.
It may be the right time to do it !

Just bought them...tomorrow I'm in the studio and see what they're like - I love CB Marshall Cabs.......Are there ready mixes aswell to start off with?

To convert them with CabLab3 I shoulkd use the wave files - correct?;)

And should I use 44.100 or the 48.000 wave files?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom