AXE-FEST 2012 UNITED KINGDOM - Nov 5th-6th - Oxfordshire

And thatvis definately the focus. If we can get 2 or 3 offerings for amps, frfr and nearfields as well, all the better, but that's a secondary consideration.

Hi!

I organized and set up the FRFR demo system at Axe-Fest West. Please feel free to ask me if you want any info about what I was using, etc. Being able to switch instantly from system to system using one Axe-FX makes all the difference in the world.

TT

Tommys' system was really neat. Comparing individual speakers, or running multiple pairs together was no problem for the way he had it routed :)

Hi!

I organized and set up the FRFR demo system at Axe-Fest West. Please feel free to ask me if you want any info about what I was using, etc. Being able to switch instantly from system to system using one Axe-FX makes all the difference in the world.

TT

Hi!

TT
I was the facilities and registration organizer for Axe Fest West - I luckily Found Tommy while initially organizing registrants based upon his kind offer to help out when I reached out on the thread. Once we talked. I knew I found my guy for the FRFR, so I just delegated this to him. Once we hooked Tommy up, he got it nicely set up like it was easy. I simply gave him the audio cables, power cord and distribution, said do it however you want, he added all of his switch gear and I never had to look back!! Thanks TT. As I have said before - YOU ROCK!

One very important component of the system required that I Purchase (22) x 25' -TRS to XLR cables to allow TT's switchcraft speaker selector and his Mackie Big knob to connect to all of those speakers correctly and without humm. Tommy had a few 10' TRS-XLR's so we did not need all 22 x 25'ers. So.....Now I have this case of cables that will probably not be used until the US National Axe Fest.
Maybe TT and I can get this system sent to you guys if you seriously want to do 11 Pair as we did. We would just need a commitment to return gear afterward.

IMPORTANT! - After inspecting the power that the hotel could provide, I decided to bring in two x 30 AMP double pole 208v to 120V Power distribution boxes You can clearly see one of them here at 2:30 http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/58737-frfr-tests-axe-fest-west-2012-a.html
We needed one to power the presentation ballroom, and a second for the FRFR Ballroom. I brought in 80' and 50' cables and ran into the kitchen for the tie in. I removed the commercial coffee machines and hard wired my power system into that dual 30A - 208v power supply which fed from a separate 3 phase panel were the ran only double and triple pole ciruits. (unaffected by the house panel) Never once did we have any type of power drop. Even when the ballroom lights were heavily flickering and dimming. I also brought in a a case of 25', 10' and 36" three way 12 gauge extension cords. We did use them all and then some. (I am a contractor/architect so the gear was not difficult for me to acquire).

The LA Amp Show had the hotel 120v circuits maxed out to the point where the ballroom lighting was totally unstable. I could only imagine what would have resulted had we tried to just plug into their little circuits.

@MATRIX _ Matt. Can you set me up on cheap shipping?? Quick??

Kerry

Last edited:
I will have a chat with Chris today and see what he already has in place. I think the venue is not going to be as large as the FRFR room you had organised, and no one else is going to be using the power in the building whilst the event is happening.

Residential UK is 230v single phase. I expect that with the draw required from a couple of powered monitors there should be no noticeable drop on the line.

If the UK meet needed some extra cables etc, I was going to offer the use of a couple of mixers, 300' of signal cable ( TRS to XLR and XLR to XLR ) , and up to 300' of assorted power line.

If Chris needs some cables etc shipped from the US I am sure we will be able to help.

Best regards
Matt

I dont think the power will be an issue. Much as we'd like it to be - our get together isnt going to be on the same scale as yours.

We will have 4/5 rigs set up in a variety of modes" from studio monitors, amp/cab, FRFR, headphones. Exactly which solutions we have for each mode is almost all down to what the various users bring - with the exception of the Matrix stuff we can get and any I can source from helpful shops/distributors. Logistics is an issue as im not coming over from Ireland until the morning of the event and I have to return on the Sunday night- so havent personally got the time to trail from one place to another picking up kit.

We will do our best of course to get as much together as we can, but our main aim is to get the power users in the UK together for hints/tips/instruction rather than equipment trials.

Hello can someone give me an update on this... can you confirm dates and where meet is what time it starts ..

many thanks

I have a pair of QSC 122hpi FFR speakers i could bring along..

cheers

17th & 18th November.. Oxford Turners Arms Bicester, Oxford. Right ok...I need to see about this as i thought it was 5th.

cheers

The way it's standing, there will be a buffet at about 5ish on the Saturday. Who will be there for it, and please tell me of any dietary restrictions?

Please reply on the Facebook site, if possible; otherwise PM me?

Thank you.

I eat pretty much anything....
well.. apart from things like stones and plastic and stuff...
hmm... thinking on it.. I reckon there may be plastic and stuff in the McD's I ate a few weeks ago..
I usually eat the box and throw the burger...
cos there's more nutritional content in the actual box itself..

Program of events.

Saturday 17 November
12.30pm - Intro to Axe-FX II - PaulMapp8306
2.00pm - Looping Science - Octatonic
3.00pm - Tone matching demo - Octatonic
4.00pm - Control and morphing clinic - Clarky
5.00pm - Hot buffet.
5.45pm - Speaker system comparison/shootout.
7.30pm - Jam Session/Guitar duel starts.

Sunday 18 November
12pm to 4pm - Open house, hands on clinic.

My Intro to the AFX bit is aimed an those who dont have an AFX2 yet. it will be an overview of front/back panel controls and connections, the grid and patch design, and basic control and signal routing. There will be time to meet/greet and possibly a play with rigs (if we can manage two rooms or some separation).

so - those who dont need this bit, dont worry if you cant get there for 12.30 :)

After having so much fun and enjoying meeting other Axe-Fx persons at the Dutch meet, I wish I could be there as well.
One thing I wish we could have done is the following:
For the monitor shoot out, use the pink noise generator in the Axe-Fx, put a calibrated mike in front op the monitor at different distances and make a frequency plot of the monitor.
That way you would have some objective data to compare.

Back
Top Bottom