AXE FAILED ME??on debut

angello120

Inspired
After spending a few weeks playing with my standard' I finally got the damned fcb-1010
in a usable state to gig. So full of anticipation I removed the Axe from home set up(just unplugged) put in a 2u box and off to work. Set up with on-stage rig ,Atomic 112-18 mic'd into desk and switched on. :shock: NOTHING, no output at all, changed leads and checked connections frantically, some friends who came to see the new marvel' made clucking' sounds and told you so comments.Headless-chicken time or what!! In desperation I went into the I/O menu and looked at all the settings and right at the bottom of a page was an output value-off ?? turned it to on and YEEES' it came back to life. But how the F*** did it turn off without me doing anything to it. Also the sounds I had spent weeks getting to my liking were way off' . I have not found the Atomic' output
config. that is mentioned any one know it?? :?:

What it appears to me is that you plugged into output1 at home. At the gig you plugged into the output2. The setting at the bottom of page 2 in the I/O menu you appear to hint at is the copy out1 to out2 setting, which defaults to "off". Output 2 is set to off (or loop send) which means no sound, unless you have an fx loop block in the grid. So, with that setting off there is no signal on outputs 2. You need to set that to on to have the same signal on both sets outputs. After you turned it on, you had sound.

There is no specific atomic output config in the Axe. Did you tweak at gig level with a backing track through the Atomic at home? Did you tweak through FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) speakers (Really good hifi speakers or studio monitors) at home and neglect to switch off the cab sims at the gig? The Atomic 18 is not a FRFR speaker, it's a guitar speaker with a very non-linear 18W tube power amp built in that needs cabsims and power amp sims off and tweaking dedicated to that cab to sound its best.

You always need to tweak with the stuff you will be using live, at the circumstances you will be facing live. Or live with the consequences of not doing so. This is the same for every guitar rig you play through, just with a Marshall Plexi you only have one treble pot to tweak, so it's not as obvious... My POD and Vetta and MESA Dual Recto with multi effects unit all suffered the same thing. Doesn't sound the same at home as it does on stage.

If you tweak at home through good FRFR solutions at serious levels and send that through output1 DI to the FOH mixing desk, you know you are sending the best signal you can give them to the people in front of the stage. If the sound man can handle that shift in thinking. Then you can tweak output 2 outs to sound the greatest through whatever speakers you have on stage. How to do all that is detailed in the manual and wiki and these pages many times.

As it appears, the Axe was not what failed you. It was your knowledge of this hugely complex unit with some intricacies that are unavoidable to give the amount of options you now have. You are forgiven. ;) With a bit of dedication you will be more satisfied than you ever thought possible, for a long time.

Not so! I had the exact input/output as when I took it out of the home-studio. Nothing changed , also I set up with the atomic' at home in a large-space situation . I have been doing this quite a long time :ugeek: and run a vast range of kit. It just stumped me as to how the sound defaulted to off on its own. :?: All the patches are as I set them ,no up-dates. At my stage of life ( heading for the exit) there is no man in front of house, just me and my Atomic' with a mic' into a mackie 12ch. for spread of sound and to save my old ears from excessive back-line level.Once there was a mighty P.A. and roadies but sadly those days are gone (or did I dream it?) ;)

angello120 said:
Not so! I had the exact input/output as when I took it out of the home-studio. Nothing changed , also I set up with the atomic' at home in a large-space situation . I have been doing this quite a long time :ugeek: and run a vast range of kit. It just stumped me as to how the sound defaulted to off on its own. :?: All the patches are as I set them ,no up-dates.

Something changed. The Axe-FX didn't reprogram itself on the way to the gig. ;)

:shock: Maybe the lead goblin, who tangles things in the case and breaks plugs in the night has got new skills :twisted: . Anyhow chaps I have been trying to locate the specially for Atomic' interface that is mentioned but so far no sight, eyes are not what they were either :cry:

angello120 said:
:shock: Maybe the lead goblin, who tangles things in the case and breaks plugs in the night has got new skills :twisted: . Anyhow chaps I have been trying to locate the specially for Atomic' interface that is mentioned but so far no sight, eyes are not what they were either :cry:

There is no no Atomic config on the Axe-fx.

Strange things can/will happen; until our 9/12 gig, I managed to elude those pesky gig-gremlins.
Well, they got finally got good! In my case, it was my first time without an amp, direct FRFR/FOH feeds.

1) Blew out my brand new monitor (tested, Axe-approved prior to gig)
2) monitor mix 1 (Vocal / Guitar) somehow stopped working
3) during break, re-routed the signal to monitor mix 2 (cheaper monitors) - broke a string! LOLOL

sorry to hijack the thread... needed to share!

angello120 said:
Not so! I had the exact input/output as when I took it out of the home-studio. Nothing changed

What is the more likely scenario... that a piece of equipment spontaneously and independently altered its settings or that, because you removed it from your studio and then reinstalled it in a new environment, you may have altered something unintentionally? #1 seems, well... on the near side of impossible. #2 sounds very plausible and I offer myself as a prime example of someone who has done this himself. :lol:

I beg to differ my friend , Quote from the products' page on the fractal website-
The Axe-fx has a mode optimised for connecting to Atomic -reactor amplifiers. It is there in black ink on my screen. :) please look and tell me it is my imagination.
Hitch-Hikers guide- The universe contains an infinite number of planets, the number of habitable planets is finite! if you divide an infinite number by a finite one the answer is zero, therefore the population of the universe is zero! so anyone you meet is merely a figment of your deranged imagination :mrgreen:

Further to the discussion, I just replaced in my studio bay to reprogram patches, it is off again?? untouched since switch-off and was working then, reconnected and no output.
Wow :shock: the tone-gods are angry about something!!

angello120 said:
if you divide an infinite number by a finite one the answer is zero, therefore the population of the universe is zero!
You sure about that? I think I remember from math class if you divide an infinite number by a finite number, the remainder is infinite...

angello120 said:
I beg to differ my friend , Quote from the products' page on the fractal website-
The Axe-fx has a mode optimised for connecting to Atomic -reactor amplifiers. It is there in black ink on my screen. :) please look and tell me it is my imagination.

Yes, that would be power amp sims and cab sims disabled.

angello120 said:
Further to the discussion, I just replaced in my studio bay to reprogram patches, it is off again?? untouched since switch-off and was working then, reconnected and no output.
Angello, can you be more specific? Exactly *what* parameter (and on which page of the I/O menu) turns itself off every time you move your Axe-FX? It might help us all figure out what's going on (and I personally would like to know which parameter to keep an eye on...)
Thanks,
Daniel

angello120 said:
Hitch-Hikers guide- The universe contains an infinite number of planets, the number of habitable planets is finite! if you divide an infinite number by a finite one the answer is zero, therefore the population of the universe is zero! so anyone you meet is merely a figment of your deranged imagination :mrgreen:

Beg to differ all you want. At this time it isn't there. It may be on the website but it is not in the Axe-fx(at least not exposed). Perhaps the website needs to be updated or it will be added at a future date. From what I understood, a special mode is not needed because it is supposed to be very neutral.

quonsar said:
angello120 said:

Yes, that would be power amp sims and cab sims disabled.

No, with the atomic you would want the power amp and cab sims on.

Am I understanding this right.............you put the AxeFx into an Atomic but you turned off the poweramp and cab sims in the AxeFx.........and then you put a mic on the Atomic?

p

No I leave all amp/cabs on. The atomic is louder than I need for back-line as I play in a duo with mixed audience age, mainly hotels. The copy out 1to out 2 was off ( I use out 2 to my small desk at home as well , 1 o/d's it) so obviously this was on when I left the house. :?:
I was reading the product description on the axe' main website, it definitely states-
one optimised output for Atomic' included, so fine ,I would like to try it if I can, expecting it to be in a menu ? no , just trying to make it work the best I can. :) The best result
so far was into a (too big for me unfortunately) keyboard combo that I found at a hotel,
left by other resident band, wicked-sound but the weight of a small rhino' :lol:

javajunkie said:

You sure about that?

The atomic has a tube poweramp and a guitar speaker (wide range granted, so you may want cab sim on). Originally designed to give modelers a real tube poweramp feel. I know the new one has a tweeter (unlike the originals) but I thought the rest was basically the same.

InsideOut said:
javajunkie said:

You sure about that?

The atomic has a tube poweramp and a guitar speaker (wide range granted, so you may want cab sim on). Originally designed to give modelers a real tube poweramp feel. I know the new one has a tweeter (unlike the originals) but I thought the rest was basically the same.

Yes, I am sure about that. No, they are not designed to give modelers a real tube power-amp feel. that is the modelers job. It is designed to give a neutral amplification. It just happens to use tube technology. The older one tried to get flat response, but were not full range. The new ones are full range and flat response, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom