...Axe exploded?

DefaultM

I was happily playing my original Axe FX 2, made a preset with the FAS Hot Rod and went to save it. I was typing out the name, pressed the Y button to delete a character and suddenly there was a massive bang, the Axe switched off and now won't come on again. All that happens is the input lights flash on and off but everything else is black.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a power supply issue. If the unit is under warranty, contact FAS;

http://support.fractalaudio.com/

If not, Cliff mentioned in another thread that there is a fuse on the power supply board. If you are not comfortable with electronic repairs, bring it to an electronics repair shop. If it is the power supply, Cliff also mentioned in another post, that the power supply is an off the shelf board and can be ordered.

http://pl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMuEhFEw3BeJbfcHDmDGm6fkDdyLPUS1dX8=

I'd describe it as a brick with blinking lights on it at the minute haha. The lights keep blinking for quite some time after I've turned it off as well.

That is when modeling gets too real....

blowing up just like a real hot rodded Marshall

Off the shelf power supply should fix you right up if its not under warranty (they aren't too pricey) and Fractal will obviously take care of you if it still is under warranty

Blown power supply, most likely. Maybe some kind of power conditioning/surge protection/voltage regulation would provide extra protection in the future.

Blown power supply, most likely. Maybe some kind of power conditioning/surge protection/voltage regulation would provide extra protection in the future.

Chance it could, depending on the nature of the fault, BUT, given the power supply cost $42, you could end up spending far, far more than the part is worth to protect it.

Obviously if damage goes beyond just the PS then its a different story, but ideally the PS can take the hit, allowing everything else to still work, and be quickly and easily replaced.

Given the cost is so low, I think it might be worth picking up a spare for touring purposes, just to be able to make a quick repair on the road. Not that there is much history of these going bad, but still can happen, so just like carrying spare tubes etc, a few spare Axe parts might not hurt. Easier than trying to find a way to FedEx a new one to a location in Iowa or wherever

So that's what they meant with "boomy sound"...

Sorry, couldn't resist... your question was answered already anyway.

Contacted G66 and they're sending me a new power supply to the UK, which is great to say I've had it 4 years.
I've already got it through a surge protected extension, but hopefully it's just the power supply and I can sort this.

That's awesome support!

That sounds like pretty classic Power Supply failure - you should be good with the new one.

I think the higher 220/240 UK/EU domestic power voltage takes it's toll on the PSU a lot more frequently than the US voltage. I'm ordering in a standby one from mouser.co.uk to join my spare fan as user replaceable parts

Chance it could, depending on the nature of the fault, BUT, given the power supply cost $42, you could end up spending far, far more than the part is worth to protect it.

Granted, a quality power conditioner/surge protector such as a Furman cost's more than the power supply itself BUT, if you get a surge during a live performance or studio session it becomes invaluable. Moving power to another source is much quicker than replacing a power supply. And the show goes on...

That sounds like pretty classic Power Supply failure - you should be good with the new one.

I think the higher 220/240 UK/EU domestic power voltage takes it's toll on the PSU a lot more frequently than the US voltage. I'm ordering in a standby one from mouser.co.uk to join my spare fan as user replaceable parts
Correct me If I'm wrong, but isn't the dangerous variable the amperage and not the voltage? If so, having a higher voltage would actually reduce the risk of failure as the amperage can be lower for the same wattage (P = U * I).

Do you run a voltage regulator along /combined with power conditioning?

BTW - older technology surge protectors do wear out - and no longer function correctly because they sacrifice themselves in surges ... and you wouldn't know it by just looking at it. I run the Furman PL DMC just for this reason (updated tech).

Correct me If I'm wrong, but isn't the dangerous variable the amperage and not the voltage? If so, having a higher voltage would actually reduce the risk of failure as the amperage can be lower for the same wattage (P = U * I).

Absolutely no idea if you're right or wrong ..... Ohm's Law, Boyle's Law, LA Law they're all the same to me and vague memories from science labs in school :)

Just going on the amount of (likely) PSU failure posts I've seen here over the years. Most seem to be from EU or other regions where 230/240 V is the domestic voltage.

Could it be something to do with the Hertz rating maybe then? 230V 50 Hz in EU and 120V 60 Hz in US?

It's voltage. The higher the voltage the greater the chance of dielectric breakdown.

Sounds like his power supply "Axeploded".

Think of voltage as pressure. Double the water pressure in the water lines in your house and see what happens, over time.

Back
Top Bottom