Axe-Edit won't connect?

H13

Inspired
Hey, bit of an odd one here.

For some reason, my AFX won't connect to Axe-Edit anymore? It was working fine 30 seconds ago and suddenly it won't connect.

Things I've tried:
- Reinstalling Axe-Edit
- Rebooting computer

When I turn the AFX on, I get the windows sound which means that it's still connected and a cable hasn't fallen out. Everything is rack-mounted and doesn't move anyway so the chances of something slipping out are basically 0 anyway.

Running Firmware Q7.0 Beta.

Ideas?

Hi @H13

Check the General options under Preferences. Make sure you still have the two Axe-Fx MIDI ports selected.

Also, might try re-installing the USB driver, then restart your rig. I find that Windows patches/updates often mess with the USB driver to the AXEFX.

Tried all of the above. Still no luck.

Here's a screenshot:

9JQUPVc.png

As you can see in the top left, Axe-Edit is disconnected. The driver reinstall was successful as well and that requires the AFX to be connected via USB...

Try killing both the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit. Start Axe-Edit, then power up the Axe-Fx.

If that doesn't work, kill any instances of Chrome that you have running on your computer, and repeat the steps above.

Try killing both the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit. Start Axe-Edit, then power up the Axe-Fx.

If that doesn't work, kill any instances of Chrome that you have running on your computer, and repeat the steps above.

Tick tick and tick. Still no luck.

It's really weird because it just happened randomly. I was sitting here playing, went to tweak something and Axe-Edit had suddenly disconnected. Windows can still find the AFX so it's definitely still connected (and I still get the sounds) but for some reason Axe-Edit can't find it.

It started working again. Literally randomly as well.

I didn't restart or anything, it just went found it again.

Go figure.

If it's a Windows computer I got a dollar that says Windows decided to put a USB root hub to sleep on you. Easiest troubleshooting step is to swap to a different USB port on your computer, better if it's one that you know is connected to a different place on your motherboard. Attaching a device to a port "wakes things up", so to speak.
Long term fix is to go into device manager and turn off everywhere where the system allows USB ports to sleep for power savings. We're electric guitar players FFS damn the power bill! WE ARE CARBON FOOTPRINT HEAVY AND WE ARE LEGION.

If it's a Mac the only reason I have ever had a connection issue is if I had FractalBot running. FractalBot beats Axe-Edit in the USB-MIDI armwrestling match every single time. If you have anything else competing for the Axe's MIDI attention, you're gonna have a bad time.

Are you using a USB hub? If so use a USB port on the Mac instead. Also try another USB cable.

Preferably a powered USB hub. Drawing too much juice from a Mac or a MacBook seems to make things wonky. Nothing concrete, just seems to...

Vantec UGT-AH100U3 10-Port USB 3.0 Aluminum Hub w/ Power Adapter

I got one of these for my flight sim rig. Completely loaded up with controllers, no issues at all. Bulletproof.

If it's Windoze, its probably a USB conflict.. Did you install some new software lately?
Same thing happened to me last week - Win10x64 - AE (new beta I'm testing) suddenly refused to connect.
I noticed that when I powered up the XL, a recently installed software package prompted me for an OK to manage this device.
I said no, but it decided to manage the interface anyway and AE said I was connected using the usual ports, but displayed the "disconnected" msg at the top.
I removed the offending software, rebooted and all is well now.
No FAS software touched,

Heh, I'd like to be more helpful, but no to all of the above. No new software, it's not plugged into a USB hub. I've already disabled that bullshit power saving thing (seriously...why.)

It WAS still connected and Windows was detecting it. The FASUSB Control Panel was detecting the unit. Axe-Edit just didn't like it for a span of around 24 hours. Literally everything about it was working fine except for Axe-Edit which for some reason decided it didn't want to find my AFX. I could play and get awesome noise out of everything, it was just Axe-Edit having a moment.

I'm running Q7 beta so maybe that's where the issue was?

I don't own an Axe FX but on the AX8 when you launch AX8-Edit the MIDI IN led on the front panel lights up as it receives messages from AX8-Edit, restart the Axe FX and then launch Axe-Edit and watch that LED, at the very least if the MIDI IN led doesn't go on then it's likely an issue with your computer, maybe the midi drivers?

I've heard of issues with long USB cables. Are you using one that's very long? Sorry I'm not more help.

I am having the same issue, Axe-Edit refuses to detect my XL, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the USB drivers and the Axe Edit, with no success. This is really odd to say the least. I am getting sound out of my unit from the speakers and any external programs such as Itunes. My computer is picking up my unit both in audio and in the USB control panel. Not sure how to fix this issue.

Back
Top Bottom