Wish Axe-Edit - SKETCHES

Burgs

Power User
I'm a touring bloke. Most of my time is spent at airports, in hotels and waiting around for a soundcheck which can be short if there's a number of acts on. Often after a show I may think something along the lines of, "That Bassman preset was lacking in the mids. I'm going to try a Triptik tomorrow night..." But I have to wait for the 20 minute soundcheck to jack a laptop into the Axe and reconfigure. That might not suit the rest of the band who aren't fussed about my technology and just want to get on with it as the clock is ticking. So I'm under pressure and the improvement may not happen at all.

But..

If I could sketch out the preset into Axe-Edit on my laptop beforehand it would be an enormous timesaver. I know what amps and cabs will put me in the ballpark, and which template, etc. Hell, most of the time I just need to change an amp or a cab in a working preset and that's it. But other times I may want to add a block here or there. Are you with me? All Axe-Edit would need is some sort of 'dummy' hardware, I guess, so I could make that sketch in the airport lounge or the bus or the hotel room or... And then load it up at the gig/soundcheck and tweak to taste.

Sketching with the ability to save. That's what I'd like.

Of course, if this facility is already onboard and I've missed it, then I'm an idiot and I apologise. If not, I'll bet it would be welcome.

no it's not available. Edit has to query the unit for information. what you are describing would be cool but as far as i know there's no way for edit to work without the unit being connected. also, back in the old ultra/standard days you could do things offline but it caused a lot of issues with bad presets/etc.

no it's not available. Edit has to query the unit for information. what you are describing would be cool but as far as i know there's no way for edit to work without the unit being connected. also, back in the old ultra/standard days you could do things offline but it caused a lot of issues with bad presets/etc.

Right. As I thought. That's why I'm hoping there's a way to employ a 'dummy' unit so Axe-Edit can write and save the sketch for later upload. Cheers. :)

i remember the dark days. when offline mode was a thing. i'm sure Michael would do it better but, i'm not sure i want to risk a return to those dark dark days.

From the release notes for Axe-Edit 3:

Axe-Edit works in tandem with the Axe-Fx II in a client-server type relationship, Axe-Edit requires an Axe-Fx to be connected for all operations. "Offline editing" is not supported and will not be added to any future version.

* The client-server relationship brings a host of benefits to Axe-Edit, most importantly, Axe-Edit can never "corrupt" a preset as only the Axe-Fx itself ever "owns" the data. This means you can program sounds with the confidence that what you see is what you'll hear is what you'll save.

exactly what you want used to be possible. it was cool for your exact reasons, but the functionality also came with more problems in the end than being useful. unless it could be implemented in a much smarter way, I doubt we'll see it any time soon.

A Fractal "mock" via software, could act like the hardware. AxeEdit would be oblivious.

We do this at work (day job :) ) all the time for testing.

Would be pretty cool but of course developing a Fractal mock would cost $$.

IMO, it would be a valuable test tool for AxeEdit development, but its not my business.

A Fractal "mock" via software, could act like the hardware. AxeEdit would be oblivious.

We do this at work (day job :) ) all the time for testing.

Even worse would be keeping that Fractal mock up to date with the latest firmware. You'd introduce the same sync issues that plagued the original Axe-Edit, only now you'd have to buy extra hardware to get those problems.

Surely not more expensive than buying some over-priced food at the airport or raiding the extortionately priced mini bar in a hotel room - which would likely be the alternative time passing exercises for Burgs? :)

Even worse would be keeping that Fractal mock up to date with the latest firmware. You'd introduce the same sync issues that plagued the original Axe-Edit, only now you'd have to buy extra hardware to get those problems.

You might be misunderstanding what I mean by mocking. A mock in the sense I'm using it, is software not hardware.

The whole point of it *is* to keep it up to date for testing purposes. Mocking, as used for software testing, is a proven well established technique.

You might be misunderstanding what I mean by mocking. A mock in the sense I'm using it, is software not hardware.

The whole point of it *is* to keep it up to date for testing purposes. Mocking, as used for software testing, is a proven well established technique.
Still, you introduce the same stability issues. The software mock would have to keep up to date with the firmware, giving rise to another parallel development cycle with no room for error. The dev team is already working at capacity. I'd rather not have them slowed down by having to maintain another Fractal product that, by definition, will sound no better than a lump of coal. :)

Still, you introduce the same stability issues. The software mock would have to keep up to date with the firmware, giving rise to another parallel development cycle with no room for error. The dev team is already working at capacity. I'd rather not have them slowed down by having to maintain another Fractal product that, by definition, will sound no better than a lump of coal. :)

I completely agree.

The original wish also causes me lots of worry and concern.

Reactions: Rex
It concerns me too, though i admit that i wish for it as devoutly as @Burgs . :)

I was just messing with you. The internals of FAS do not concern me lol.

I think offline editing was great. I used it all the time.

I can honestly say I have never had concern about a wish or suggestion. It never crosses my mind. It's just a wish.. right?

And I don't get concerned or arm chair manage FAS resources as to what they might or might not spend time on.... that's their business. It doesn't worry me.

I'm just a customer and enjoy using their kick ask stuff.

This wish sounds like a description for one of Axe Native's use cases, if it were to ever launch any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom